Restarting math from Scratch. Need a some advice.

• Thread starter nitro_gif
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scratch
In summary, the person is looking for quality textbooks, reads, and a mathematical sequence to follow for their studies. They recommend two free books, one on algebra and one on geometry, and also mention a more modern book.
nitro_gif
Okay, so I am 20 years old, did terrible in high school mainly due to lack of motivation / not seeing the point.

I left high school with grade 11 math and had a whopping 52.

Three years later I discovered I like math and seriously want to get to an advanced level. I started taking some remedial grade 10 stuff at a local college, doing very well and not feeling challenged enough.

What I am asking for is some quality textbooks, reads and a possible mathematical sequence to follow for my studies, starting from the basics, algebra and geometry.

Though I am doing well in a grade 10 remedial course, I definitely need a more mathematical understanding of things to go further.

- Thanks to anyone that helps. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the grade 10 remedial course teaching you?

I basically stopped going to high school around 10th grade and only went back when I was 18 after I matured enough to realize that education was the only way to accomplish my goals..

In my case, I was in a special program which allowed me to get my diploma by taking night courses. The last math I had successfully passed with a half assed grade of 70 was algebra. The program gave me a semester of geometry and said it was enough to meet the requirements for math. When I went to college afterwards I started with pre-calculus. Like in your case, it wasn't challenging and I pulled an A easily. After that I started calculus.

From my experience, especially if you aren't in a honors mathematics program, I think if you have a strong command of high school algebra and a little experience with geometry you can start from pre-calculus. If anything, I feel like all the concepts you need to know are reviewed in the courses anyway.

Dont worry I went to summer school for nearly all my math courses in high school, and scored on the 7th grade level on my SAT. Got my act together, and I have gotten As in every single math course in college up to calc 2.

I recommend : Algebra & Trigonometry by M. Sullivan 9

I used it for both college algebra and trig.

Ill send you some of my old exams if you would like to be tested as well.

Try "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. That book certainly does offer a nice challenge as it's not so easy. But it's (in my opinion) the best math book on topics before calculus.

DeadOriginal said:
What is the grade 10 remedial course teaching you?

I basically stopped going to high school around 10th grade and only went back when I was 18 after I matured enough to realize that education was the only way to accomplish my goals..

In my case, I was in a special program which allowed me to get my diploma by taking night courses. The last math I had successfully passed with a half assed grade of 70 was algebra. The program gave me a semester of geometry and said it was enough to meet the requirements for math. When I went to college afterwards I started with pre-calculus. Like in your case, it wasn't challenging and I pulled an A easily. After that I started calculus.

From my experience, especially if you aren't in a honors mathematics program, I think if you have a strong command of high school algebra and a little experience with geometry you can start from pre-calculus. If anything, I feel like all the concepts you need to know are reviewed in the courses anyway.

Mainly learned a lot on Factoring / quadratics, linear equations, radicals and minimal geometry.

micromass said:
Try "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. That book certainly does offer a nice challenge as it's not so easy. But it's (in my opinion) the best math book on topics before calculus.

Just bought that, took a quick look on google books and it seems like a great start!

Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to restart math from scratch?

The best way to restart math from scratch is to first identify your current level of understanding and then start with the basics. This may include reviewing fundamental concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before moving on to more complex topics.

2. How long will it take to restart math from scratch?

The amount of time it takes to restart math from scratch will vary depending on your current level of understanding and how much time you are able to dedicate to studying. It is important to be patient and consistent in your studies to see progress.

3. Can I skip topics that I already know?

While it may be tempting to skip topics that you already know, it is important to review all concepts to ensure a strong foundation. Skipping topics may lead to gaps in your understanding that could hinder your progress in more advanced topics.

4. Are there any resources that can help me restart math from scratch?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you restart math from scratch. You can find textbooks, online tutorials, and even math programs or apps that provide step-by-step instruction and practice problems.

5. How can I stay motivated while restarting math from scratch?

Staying motivated while restarting math from scratch can be challenging, but it is important to set realistic goals and celebrate your progress along the way. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to help keep you motivated and accountable.