Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency

In summary, there are two models that can be used to describe the behavior of electrons in metals. The first model, which assumes that the electrons are free, provides expressions for relative permittivity and reflectance in the UV range. In this range, the reflectance of metals drops from 100% and they become transparent. The second model, which is based on a simple phonon model, can also be used to calculate relative permittivity and reflectance. In this model, the reflectance is highest between the resonant Transverse Optic and Longitudinal Optic frequencies, and drops significantly after that. However, this model only works for dielectrics and not for metals, which have no optically active phonons due
Master J
If we model the electrons in a metal as free, we can get nice expressions for the relative permittivity and hence reflectance. Above the plasma frequency (usually UV), the reflectance falls from about 100% and metals become transparent.

We can also develop expressions for relative permittivity from a simple phonon model. We seen then that between the resonant Transverse Optic and Longitudinal Optic frequencies, the reflectance of the material is again about 100%, and drops dramatically after that, being low, before the TO freq. also.

My question is, can both models be applied to a metal? Clearly only the second works for dielectrics. But metals have phonons too.

Does the plasma frequency, where the reflectivity drops dramatically in a metal, correspond to the LO frequency at the end of the Restrahlen band in the phonon model?

My gut feeling is that these are 2 separate models, and the plasma one is by far the more dominant in metals.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may actually have found the answer.

Light only couples to charged atoms...hence the phonon model works with ionic materials, or materials that have some polar character.

But in metals, we have a completely different type of bonding, where electrons are delocalized throughout the metal, and the bonding has no polar character. Hence metals have no optically active phonons (pure metals, tho I guess certain compounds etc MAY have).

Is this correct?

Related to Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency

What is the Restrahlen Effect?

The Restrahlen Effect is a phenomenon in which the infrared reflectance of a material increases dramatically at certain frequencies, known as Reststrahlen frequencies. This effect is caused by the interaction between the oscillations of the material's crystal lattice and the incoming infrared radiation.

What is the Plasma Frequency?

The Plasma Frequency is the frequency at which the collective oscillations of free electrons in a material reach their maximum amplitude. This frequency is determined by the density of free electrons in the material and is typically in the ultraviolet or visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum.

What is the relationship between the Restrahlen Effect and the Plasma Frequency?

The Restrahlen Effect is closely related to the Plasma Frequency, as the Reststrahlen frequencies are typically close to or at the Plasma Frequency. This is because both phenomena are caused by the collective oscillations of electrons in a material's crystal lattice.

What factors can influence the Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency?

The Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency can be influenced by various factors, including the material's chemical composition, crystal structure, temperature, and external electric and magnetic fields. Changes in these factors can shift the Reststrahlen frequencies and alter the material's reflectance properties.

What are the applications of the Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency in science and technology?

The Restrahlen Effect and Plasma Frequency have various applications in fields such as material science, spectroscopy, and optics. They are used to study the properties of materials, identify unknown substances, and develop new materials for technologies such as photonic devices and solar cells.