Running through a complex math derivation of plasma frequency

In summary: So, in summary, the problem at hand involves the application of Maxwell's equations and the Drude model of a metal to find the dielectric constant of a uniform, time-dependent electric field acting on a metal. This can be done by substituting the expressions for conductivity and conductivity at zero frequency into the wave equation and taking the limit that the product of frequency and relaxation time is much greater than 1. While the real part of the resulting dielectric constant agrees with the expected expression, there is uncertainty about why the imaginary part can be dropped without consequence.
Suzanne Rosenzweig
TL;DR Summary
Running through a derivation of plasma frequency, not sure why we can drop imaginary part.
Background of problem comes from Drude model of a metal (not necessary to answer my problem but for the curious): Consider a uniform, time-dependent electric field acting on a metal. It can be shown that the conductivity is $$\sigma = \frac{\sigma_0}{1-i\omega t}$$ where $$\sigma_0 = \frac{ne\tau^2}{m}.$$ From Maxwell's equations, we can get a wave equation of the form $$-\nabla^2\textbf{E} = \frac{\omega^2}{c^2}\epsilon(\omega)\textbf{E}$$ where the dielectric constant is $$\epsilon(\omega) = 1+\frac{4\pi i\sigma}{\omega}.$$ We can substitute into this equation the first two definitions provided (##\sigma## and ##\sigma_0##) and take the limit that ##\omega\tau \gg 1## to find, to a first approximation, that $$\epsilon(\omega) = 1 - \frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega^2}$$ where $$\omega_p^2 = \frac{4\pi ne^2}{m}.$$ Where I need help: The problem I have is that when I run through my derivation (plugging the expression for ##\sigma## and ##\sigma_0## into the equation for ##\epsilon(\omega)## and taking it to a first approximation since ##\omega\tau\gg1##), I can get the real part to agree with this expression but I can't reason why we can drop the imaginary part. The imaginary part I wind up with looks like this: $$\frac{4\pi i ne^2\tau}{m\omega(1+\omega^2\tau^2)}.$$ Why can we drop this without consequence?

Note: I put this in the Math forum because it's purely the mathematical reasoning I need help with but I provided the physics background for those interested.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I get a different formula, since I did not set ##\tau = t## or switched the square in ##\sigma_0## to ##e##. So it is guesswork now. But with the original formulas, I get an imaginary part
$$
\omega \varepsilon = \text{ real part } + i \cdot \left( 4\pi \dfrac{n}{m} e \dfrac{\tau^2}{1+t^2\omega^2} \right)
$$
which tends to ##0## if ##t\omega \gg 1##.

1. What is a plasma frequency?

A plasma frequency is the natural oscillation frequency of charged particles in a plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of a gas of ions and free electrons.

2. Why is it important to understand the plasma frequency?

Understanding the plasma frequency is important because it can provide valuable information about the properties of a plasma, such as its density and temperature. It is also crucial for the design and operation of plasma-based technologies, such as plasma TVs and fusion reactors.

3. How is the plasma frequency calculated?

The plasma frequency can be calculated using the formula ωp = √(nee20me), where ωp is the plasma frequency, ne is the electron density, e is the elementary charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and me is the mass of an electron.

4. What is the significance of a complex math derivation for the plasma frequency?

The complex math derivation for the plasma frequency allows us to account for the effects of collisions between charged particles, which can significantly affect the behavior of a plasma. It also provides a more accurate representation of the plasma's properties.

5. Can the plasma frequency be measured experimentally?

Yes, the plasma frequency can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as microwave or optical spectroscopy. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a plasma and validate the results obtained from the complex math derivation.