Resultant force from water on dam

In summary: Equating this to F.x gives the same answer.Fantastic, thanks for the help!In summary, the cross-sectional profile of a dam is shaped as an isosceles triangle with height h, length l, and distance s from the bottom to the watermirror. The resultant force from the water on the dam is (1/2)ρghls, where ρ is the water's density and g is the acceleration due to gravity. To find the resultant force's point of attack, the moments are used by integrating x*dF from 0 to s, where dF is the force exerted by an element of area on the dam at distance x from the bottom. This results in a point of attack at
HJKL

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
The cross-sectional profile of a dam is shaped as an isosceles triangle. The dam is standing on horizontal ground and the watermirror is as high as the top of the dam. The dam has height h, length l and the distance from the bottom to the watermirror along the dam's side is s. The water's density is ρ.

a) Find the resultant force from the water on the dam.

b) Find the resultant force's point of attack.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Don't know any relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I do have the solution for this, but I don't understand the equations used and where they come from.

Solution:
a)

dA = l dx

dF = ρgy dA
dF = ρgy l dx

Similar triangles:
y/h = (s-x)/s <=> y = (h/s) (s-x)

dF = ρgl (h/s) (s-x) dx

Resultant force:
F = integral of dF from 0 to s
F = integral of ρgl (h/s) (s-x) dx

Then that is solved and we get (1/2)ρghls.

Where does that first equation come from? dA = l dx?

b)
The torque about an axis through the point A:
xF F = integral of x dF from 0 to s = integral of x ρgl (h/s) (s-x) dx
ρgl (h/s) ((1/2) sx^2-(1/3)x^3) from 0 to s
ρgl (h/s) ((1/2 s^3 - (1/3) s^3) = (1/6) ρghls
=> xF =((1/6) ρghls^2)/ ρghls => 1/3 s

The photo attached is the sketch of the dam.

Attachments

• fysikk.JPG
    fysikk.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HJKL said:
Where does that first equation come from? dA = l dx?
Do you understand that l is the length of the dam from end to end, i.e. in your diagram it is into the page?
l.dx is the area of a rectangle measuring dx up the slope of the dam and running the length of it horizontally.

No I didn't really understand any of it, but I see now. Thanks:)
I still don't understand why we use that equation though. And what it means.

Is A the area of that rectangle then? Why do we part it up like that and use dx and dA?
And is there an original equation or is dA = l dx the original equation?

HJKL said:
Is A the area of that rectangle then?
The slope is being divided into short (infinitesimal) elements of length, dx. From each such we can construct an area element, a rectangle measuring dx by l. We call an element of area dA.
HJKL said:
is dA = l dx the original equation?
Yes.

The pressure varies according to depth, but over one thin element of area it is almost constant. If y is the depth of the area element dA then the pressure there is ρgy and the element of force, dF, it exerts on the area element is ρgydA.
Next, we need to express y in terms of x and dA in terms of dx: dF=ρg[h(s-x)/s][l.dx]. Now all the variables are in terms of x and dx we can integrate.

Ok, now I understand. Thank you!:)

Hey! Can somebody explain problem b)? I don't know if it's called point of attack, and I can't find anything when I search for point of attack. But it's the point where the resultant force acts, right? How do I find that?

HJKL said:
Hey! Can somebody explain problem b)? I don't know if it's called point of attack, and I can't find anything when I search for point of attack. But it's the point where the resultant force acts, right? How do I find that?
Use moments.

Ok. So M = F*a and in this case a is x? Then I get M = F*x. I already know F from problem a).
In the solution it says xF * F = integral of x * dF, why is that? And what are the two x's?

HJKL said:
in this case a is x?
If you are defining x as the distance up (or down?) the slope to the point of attack, yes.
HJKL said:
integral of x * dF
Consider the pressure of the water on the slope as made up of elements of force, dF(x). The dF(x) element acts at distance x from the bottom, so its moment about the bottom is x.dF(x). The total moment is therefore ∫x.dF, and this equates to F.xpoint of attack.
Equivalently, you can consider the pressure P(x) acting on an element width dx at distance x from the bottom. This exerts a force P(x)L.dx and has moment P(x)xL.dx, so the total moment is ∫P(x)xL.dx.

1. What is the resultant force from water on a dam?

The resultant force from water on a dam is the total force exerted by the water on the dam structure. It is a combination of both the hydrostatic pressure and the hydrodynamic pressure of the water.

2. How is the resultant force calculated?

The resultant force is calculated by multiplying the area of the dam by the hydrostatic pressure of the water at that depth, and then adding the force due to the hydrodynamic pressure. This calculation takes into account the direction and magnitude of the water flow.

3. Why is it important to consider the resultant force on a dam?

The resultant force on a dam is important because it determines the stability and safety of the structure. If the force is too great, it can cause the dam to fail, leading to potential flooding and damage to surrounding areas.

4. How can the resultant force on a dam be controlled?

The resultant force on a dam can be controlled through the design and construction of the dam. Factors such as the shape, size, and materials used can all affect the resultant force. Other measures, such as spillways and gates, can also be implemented to release excess water and reduce the resultant force.

5. What are the potential consequences of not considering the resultant force on a dam?

If the resultant force is not properly considered and managed, it can result in the failure of the dam. This can lead to catastrophic consequences, including flooding, property damage, and loss of life. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully calculate and monitor the resultant force on a dam to ensure its stability and safety.