Resultant force of spring at the instant of release?

In summary: In figure (B), the distance x0 is the distance from the mass to the top of the spring. The total amount that the spring is stretched is written as (C): (C)=(x0-x1)(x1-x0). In summary, the mass hangs at rest at the bottom of the spring before you pull it down 3 cm. The spring is stretched some before pulling the mass down 3 cm. The mass of the hanger needs to be included.
Poptarts

Homework Statement

What would the resultant force have been at the instant of release, if a 350 g mass were suspended from your spring, pulled down 3 cm and released?

What would have been the instantaneous acceleration at the moment of release?
The questions pertain to an experiment with a spring and slotted weights in a weight holder

Homework Equations

k=17080 dynes/cm
1) i. Resultant force F= -mg+kn
ii. Instantaneous acceleration a= f/m
or
2) i. Resultant force F= -k⋅s
ii. Instantaneous acceleration a= A x [1/√(M/k)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found two ways to do both two problems but they each have different formulas and get different answers. Therefore, I don't know which one is right
1) i. F=-mg+kn {(-350g⋅980cm/s2)+(17080dynes/cm⋅3cm)}/(1x105)= -2.9176N
ii. a=f/m=-2.9176N/0.350kg= -8.336m/s2
or
2) i. F= -k⋅s= (-17080dynes/cm⋅-3cm)/(1x105)=.5124N
ii. a= A x [1/√(M/k)]2= 3cm ⋅{1/(√[350g+21.15g+(1/3)⋅3.30g]/17080dynes/cm)}2

I don't think 2) is the correct way but the unit conversions and two equations are kinda confusing me.
Also 2) contains more values from my experiment 21.15 g is the mass of the weight holder, 3.30g is the mass of the spring, which I don't think you need to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The force that the spring exerts on the mass is kx where x is the amount the spring is stretched from its unstretched (natural) length. Was the spring already stretched some before pulling the mass down 3 cm?

Likes Poptarts
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

The force that the spring exerts on the mass is kx where x is the amount the spring is stretched from its unstretched (natural) length. Was the spring already stretched some before pulling the mass down 3 cm?
As I understand the question, no the spring was not stretched some before pulling the mass down 3 cm. However, the equation being k x makes more sense. The only experimental value that I think we were supposed to use is k, I guess the mass is there to confuse us.

The mass hangs at rest at the bottom of the spring before you pull it down 3 cm. While it hangs at rest, is the spring longer than its natural length?

TSny said:
The mass hangs at rest at the bottom of the spring before you pull it down 3 cm. While it hangs at rest, is the spring longer than its natural length?
I guess it would be? These are the exact typed questions, which aren't practiced during the experiment but just in the lab report. We never measured the affect mass has on spring vs. its natural length, so I don't think we need to take that into account. Also I figured out how to do the instantaneous acceleration and that's where the listed mass value is supposed to be used.
a=(-kx)/m (-17080dynes/cm⋅3cm)/(350g)= -146.4cm/s2

Poptarts said:
We never measured the affect mass has on spring vs. its natural length, so I don't think we need to take that into account.
I think that's a safe assumption. The mass of the spring is only about 1% of the hanging mass.

Also I figured out how to do the instantaneous acceleration and that's where the listed mass value is supposed to be used.
a=(-kx)/m (-17080dynes/cm⋅3cm)/(350g)= -146.4cm/s2
This looks correct except you should include the mass of the hanger as part of the accelerating mass.

If you want to see why your first approach isn't correct, look at what you wrote:
Poptarts said:
1) i. F=-mg+kn {(-350g⋅980cm/s2)+(17080dynes/cm⋅3cm)}/(1x105)= -2.9176N
ii. a=f/m=-2.9176N/0.350kg= -8.336m/s2
The mass of the hanger needs to be included. Also, you do not have the correct number for the amount that the spring is stretched.
upload_2018-4-20_12-34-2.png

Can you figure out the distance x0 in figure (B)? What is the total amount that the spring is stretched in (C)?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-20_12-34-2.png
    upload_2018-4-20_12-34-2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 646

What is the resultant force of a spring at the instant of release?

The resultant force of a spring at the instant of release is the force that is exerted on the spring when it is released from a compressed or stretched state. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N).

How is the resultant force of a spring calculated?

The resultant force of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the resultant force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What factors can affect the resultant force of a spring at the instant of release?

The resultant force of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the initial force applied to the spring, the stiffness of the spring (determined by its spring constant), and the amount of displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the relationship between the resultant force and the displacement of a spring?

The resultant force and displacement of a spring have a linear relationship, meaning that as the displacement increases, the resultant force also increases. This is in accordance with Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

How does the direction of the resultant force change during the release of a spring?

The direction of the resultant force changes as the spring is released from a compressed or stretched state. Initially, the resultant force is in the direction of the displacement, but as the spring returns to its equilibrium position, the resultant force changes direction and becomes opposite to the displacement.