Resulting force after two objects collide

• Thread starter Velouria555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, during a head-on collision between a 4000 lb car A traveling at 3 ft/s to the right and a 2000 lb car B traveling at 6 ft/s to the left, the impact force on car A is 900 lb to the left. By Newton's third law, the impact force on car B would also be 900 lb, but in the opposite direction, which is to the right. The velocity of car B does not affect the magnitude of the impact force, only the direction. Therefore, the correct answer is option E: 900 lb to the right.
Velouria555

Homework Statement

The car A has a weight of 4000 lb and is traveling to the right at 3 ft/s. Meanwhile a 2000 lb car B is traveling at 6 ft/s to the left. If the cars crash head-on, and at a time instant during the crash the impact force on A is 900 lb to the left, what is the magnitude and direction of the impact force exerted on B at the instant?

So essentially,

Car A (4000 lb; v= 3 ft/s) → ← Car B (2000 lb; v = 6 ft/s)

A) 900 lb to the left
B) 450 lb to the left
C) 450 lb to the right
D) 1800 lb to the left
E) 900 lb to the right

Homework Equations

F1=F2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question in my Statics homework and we have only been learning about forces and haven't concerned ourselves with the role that v has to play. This seems like something I learned in my first class of Newtonian physics a long time ago that I can't recall.

From a theoretical standpoint, I might assume that due to Newton's third law, everything has an equal and opposite reaction, that Car A would exert the same amount of force on B: the force on car B would be 900 lb to the right.

But then, I imagine that because Car B has a greater velocity, A would have less of an impact on it.

So I assume the answer is either C or E.
Is there an equation I can use to account for velocity and Force? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel you should go by Newtons 3rd law itself.

Likes Velouria555
I went with Newton's third law and got it right! Thanks!

Likes Suraj M and Dr. Courtney

1. What is the resulting force after two objects collide?

The resulting force after two objects collide is the force that is created when two objects come into contact with each other. It is the combination of the forces exerted by both objects during the collision.

2. How is the resulting force after a collision calculated?

The resulting force after a collision is calculated by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The force is calculated by multiplying the mass of one object by its acceleration, and then adding it to the product of the mass of the other object and its acceleration.

3. Can the resulting force after a collision be negative?

Yes, the resulting force after a collision can be negative. This can occur if the two objects involved in the collision are moving in opposite directions, causing a decrease in velocity and a negative acceleration.

4. How does the speed of the objects affect the resulting force after a collision?

The speed of the objects does not directly affect the resulting force after a collision. However, the kinetic energy of the objects, which is determined by their speed, can impact the amount of force exerted during the collision.

5. What are some factors that can influence the resulting force after a collision?

Some factors that can influence the resulting force after a collision include the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects, as well as any external forces acting on the objects during the collision.