Results of Today's Math Competition

• Thread starter Doom of Doom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, participants in the mathematical competition today found it to be challenging but managed to solve several problems, including those involving Alice and Bob, a sequence with 2005 terms divisible by 2006, a function maximizing another function, and choosing a subset S of X and an integer m. Some also attempted problems involving a donut volume, permutations, a hypercube, a sequence limit, and linear partitions, but faced difficulties in proving their solutions. The time limit of the exam made it difficult to complete all the problems.
Doom of Doom
Did anybody else partake in the mathematical competition today?

It was pretty darn hard. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I solved (and these were the ones I turned in):
the one about Alice and Bob's stone game (A2); the sequence problem showing that there were 2005 terms in a row divisible by 2006 (A3); the function that gives a maximum value of another function (B3? I think..); and the one about choosing a subset S of X and integer m (B5?)

Anyway, what'd everybody else think?

I got pretty close on a couple others, I think. I just hope I scored some points...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I probably got a 0 :smile:

The subset S of X was B2, and I thought m = -(floor of sum of s in S), or m = -(ceiling of sum of s in S), would work for some S in X, but I did not really figure out a way to prove it. What did you do for that one?

I took the putnam today also. The ones I handed in at least partial attempts for:
--The donut volume one (A1). It came down to a complicated integral that I couldn't solve, and probably I made a mistake somewhere along the way anyway. I should have spent time checking this more since it was straightforward calculation.
--Alice & Bob. Actually I shouldn't have handed this in, almost guaranteed 0 points.
--the permutation local maxima one. I didn't come up with a definite answer (but learned from another guy during lunch break that the answer is (n+1)/3), but I wrote a recurrence for it. Maybe 1 or 2 points, unless I made a mistake.
--The vector space one with the hypercube. This one seemed pretty simple at first, answer = 2^k and it's easy to find a subspace that intersects the cube at 2^k points. But proving that you can't have more than 2^k intersection points is more difficult--I didn't spend much time on it. Maybe it actually is more than 2^k.
--The one with the sequence limit. 2 pages of rickety calculations coming to an answer of either 0 or divergence (ran out of time before I could look more closely). In the recap afterwards, someone convinced me that it's probably 0.
--The one with the linear partitions. Answer = 1/2 n^2 - 1/2 n + 1, coming from the recurrence an = a(n-1) + n - 1, but my explanation to derive that recurrence is an unrigorous mess. I'm pretty sure my final answer was correct on this since the exam proctor said afterwards it was what he got.

I am very interested in how you did the subset S of X one--I spent about an hour thinking about that without turning in a solution. All I could figure out was that by adjusting m you can assume the x's are between 0 and 1, and I tried to make something like these work:
--the pigeonhole principle (no go)
--some kind of induction on n (tried several, nothing)
--some kind of pseudo-induction where you assume a uniform initial spacing of x's and repeatedly nudge each x by some real amount to arrive at the final spacing

Also Alice & Bob! How?

Last edited:
I figured the permutation one was (n+1)/3 (from just looking at n=2,3,4) but I couldn't get a proof of it either, so I didn't even turn it in.

Yeah, I just totally blanked on that one and didn't even try looking at examples. I just went straight to the recurrence and got stuck (the recurrence I got is a(n, k) = (n-2k)a(n-1, k-1), where a(n, k) counts the number of permutations of n numbers that have k local maxima). Maybe I could have solved it if I had found that formula (n+1)/3 from examples, but I just didn't think. For a six hour exam there didn't seem like enough time to even finish the ones I thought I had a shot at.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
For a six hour exam there didn't seem like enough time to even finish the ones I thought I had a shot at.

I know how you feel. I only turned in four, and at the end of each three hour session I was scrambling to find more solutions. The torus one, especially (A1). I couldn't solve the integral either, for some reason; I know I got REALLY close, but didn't have enough time to write up another solution for it. Meh. It's done and over. Now it's time to focus on finals!

Related to Results of Today's Math Competition

1. How did the competitors perform in today's math competition?

The results of today's math competition show that the competitors performed exceptionally well. They showed strong problem-solving skills and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. Which student achieved the highest score in the competition?

The student who achieved the highest score in today's math competition is [Name]. They demonstrated exceptional mathematical skills and accuracy in their answers.

3. Were there any ties in the results of the math competition?

Yes, there were a few ties in the results of today's math competition. In these cases, the judges used tie-breaking methods to determine the final rankings.

4. How were the questions and problems chosen for the math competition?

The questions and problems for the math competition were carefully chosen by a team of experts in mathematics. They ensured that the questions were challenging yet fair for all competitors.

5. Will there be a breakdown of the results by category or topic?

Yes, there will be a breakdown of the results by category or topic. This will provide insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each competitor in different areas of mathematics.