Resume tips for old worker, but new graduate

In summary, when deciding what to highlight on your resume, it is important to consider the specific job and the balance between your education and work experience. A high GPA in a well-regarded program can be impressive, but it is also important to research the company and their preferences. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the individual circumstances and the type of job being applied for. It is also beneficial to seek advice from professors and those familiar with the local job market.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Hello all,

I'm hoping I can get some advice from the hiring managers out there in the engineering world.
My position is a bit unique in that I am nearing my graduation date for a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, but I also have over fifteen years of experience in facilities maintenance and management.
My question to you all is this: What should I focus on within my resume? Should I highlight my educational achievements, or my work experience?
My engineering focus is mechatronics, and I would prefer to get into something related to that field, but I believe my facilities background would give me a leg up in many other industries as well. I realize that I can (and will) list both on my resume, but my work experience tends to drown out everything else--especially if it is listed first.

Thoughts or advice? I appreciate any input.
Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
I always recommend putting whatever looks best for a given audience at the top.

Usually making that decision requires seeing the layout in one organization and thinking about how to improve it from there.

Depending on individual circumstances, a skills based approach may be better with only a minimum of attention given to education and work experience.

Emphasize the things you believe will be most likely to get you hired for the job to which you are applying. A lot may relate to the reputation of your program and GPA. A 3.9 GPA in a program that is highly regarded locally should get higher billing than a 2.8 GPA at one that was only recently ABET accredited and does not yet have an established reputation.

Your local professors can often give you better advice, because they are more familiar with the local job markets, they know your situation better than we do, and they know how their program is perceived.

Dr. Courtney said:
I always recommend putting whatever looks best for a given audience at the top.

I suppose this is the root of my question. In general, what looks best for the given audience? I realize that it is subjective, but I have no way of knowing in advance what type of person will be in charge of hiring at any given organization.

Dr. Courtney said:
A lot may relate to the reputation of your program and GPA. A 3.9 GPA in a program that is highly regarded locally should get higher billing than a 2.8 GPA at one that was only recently ABET accredited and does not yet have an established reputation.

Your local professors can often give you better advice, because they are more familiar with the local job markets, they know your situation better than we do, and they know how their program is perceived.

I do currently have a 3.9 GPA but I don't believe my program is very highly regarded. It is a state university with full accreditation, but not the main branch. I don't believe that the school or professors will give me very unbiased advice on "how they are perceived."

Again, I know this question is subjective, but I am asking it specifically to the hiring managers out their in the PF Universe and what they prefer to see in a resume. Surely there are some people here who have hired graduates that have indirect work experience?

Mac

MacLaddy said:
I suppose this is the root of my question. In general, what looks best for the given audience? I realize that it is subjective, but I have no way of knowing in advance what type of person will be in charge of hiring at any given organization.

It depends both on the job and the material available to work with in one's background. A 3.9 GPA is impressive. If the program is ABET accredited, most employers will be more impressed by that than with pre-engineer work experience.

But I recommend doing a background of each company you apply to for the purpose of assessing the balance of importance between your employment and educational backgrounds. If you have skills and work experience that are a better fit for a given application, that might still go on top. Try and determine the balance between blue collar and white collar attitude among the jobs for which you are applying. My home state of Louisiana has a lot of engineering jobs in plants and the oil industry where they really want white collar credentials (a BS in Engineering with a good GPA) combined with a blue collar attitude (willingness to get your hands dirty). On the other hand, my former employer, Cisco Systems, as well as a lot of engineering employers prefer a white collar attitude for their engineers. Your past work experience gives you the ability to demonstrate a blue collar attitude to employers where this is an advantage.

MacLaddy said:
Again, I know this question is subjective, but I am asking it specifically to the hiring managers out their in the PF Universe and what they prefer to see in a resume. Surely there are some people here who have hired graduates that have indirect work experience?

I think you are mistaken in your assumption that every job you apply for has the same right answer. Even my own answers are different when hiring an engineer for my small company (blast and ballistics) than for when serving as a hiring manager for Cisco systems. Hiring managers in the oil industry have different outlooks when hiring plant or field engineers than they do for hiring engineers who are desk jockeys and more involved with approval processes and design than production.

Dr. Courtney said:
It depends both on the job and the material available to work with in one's background. A 3.9 GPA is impressive. If the program is ABET accredited, most employers will be more impressed by that than with pre-engineer work experience.

But I recommend doing a background of each company you apply to for the purpose of assessing the balance of importance between your employment and educational backgrounds. If you have skills and work experience that are a better fit for a given application, that might still go on top. Try and determine the balance between blue collar and white collar attitude among the jobs for which you are applying. My home state of Louisiana has a lot of engineering jobs in plants and the oil industry where they really want white collar credentials (a BS in Engineering with a good GPA) combined with a blue collar attitude (willingness to get your hands dirty). On the other hand, my former employer, Cisco Systems, as well as a lot of engineering employers prefer a white collar attitude for their engineers. Your past work experience gives you the ability to demonstrate a blue collar attitude to employers where this is an advantage.

That's a very interesting perspective. I hadn't considered it from a blue-collar white-collar point of view. My entire life I've been blue-collar, so I hadn't really considered a change in that viewpoint.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind with regards to each company I am applying for. The first resume I am getting ready to send out is for a federally operated city power plant. That is probably as white-collar as they come.

Mac

MacLaddy said:

I don't know if this will help, but I can tell you how I tend to see and go through resumes when I'm on hiring committees. I've been on hiring committees for d various technical-professional positions in healthcare.

To me the order of information isn't so important as whether the relevant information is obviously present and professionally presented. For a new grad, I generally expect to see the educational details first. In your case, I would probably expect to see the educational stuff first as well, because that's the most recent. Presumably that's going to be the most relevant information to the position too. If the work experience is directly related to the position it could come first, but it doesn't have to. If it's tangentially related - after. If it's not related at all - it should be on there somewhere to give a clear picture of what you've been doing (and there is almost always SOME transferrable skill set), but obviously there's no need to focus on it.

It's important to know what qualifications are required for the position. Those are critical to have on the resume because these are what make the difference in terms of "qualified/not-qualified" sorting.

Once I have a "qualified" pile, I look for characteristics that will stratify the candidates - specific details of their experience, skills, projects they've driven, evidence of successes they've had. This is how one goes from the "qualified" pile to the short list. In my experience the individuals on the hiring committee will tend to do this independently and then convene to compare short lists (although I'm sure this varies at other places). Candidates that are agreed on get interviews.

Choppy said:
I don't know if this will help, but I can tell you how I tend to see and go through resumes when I'm on hiring committees. I've been on hiring committees for d various technical-professional positions in healthcare.

To me the order of information isn't so important as whether the relevant information is obviously present and professionally presented. For a new grad, I generally expect to see the educational details first. In your case, I would probably expect to see the educational stuff first as well, because that's the most recent. Presumably that's going to be the most relevant information to the position too. If the work experience is directly related to the position it could come first, but it doesn't have to. If it's tangentially related - after. If it's not related at all - it should be on there somewhere to give a clear picture of what you've been doing (and there is almost always SOME transferrable skill set), but obviously there's no need to focus on it.

It's important to know what qualifications are required for the position. Those are critical to have on the resume because these are what make the difference in terms of "qualified/not-qualified" sorting.

Once I have a "qualified" pile, I look for characteristics that will stratify the candidates - specific details of their experience, skills, projects they've driven, evidence of successes they've had. This is how one goes from the "qualified" pile to the short list. In my experience the individuals on the hiring committee will tend to do this independently and then convene to compare short lists (although I'm sure this varies at other places). Candidates that are agreed on get interviews.

That's how I've seen it go also. Sometimes there is a requirement for a score sheet to be developed and used to rate the qualifications in different areas. But the idea is the same. Committee members develop a short list from the whole stack and then meet to compare notes and decide who gets phone interviews.

1. What should I include in my resume as an older worker, but new graduate?

As an older worker who is also a new graduate, it is important to focus on your education and relevant skills. Include any degrees or certifications you have obtained, as well as any relevant coursework or projects. Also, highlight any transferable skills or experiences that may be applicable to the job you are applying for.

2. How should I format my resume as an older worker, but new graduate?

The format of your resume should be clean, organized, and easy to read. Use a standard font and avoid using too many colors or graphics. Start with your most recent education and work experience, and be sure to include any relevant internships or volunteer experience. Keep your resume concise and only include information that is relevant to the job you are applying for.

3. Should I mention my age on my resume?

No, you should not mention your age on your resume. Age discrimination is illegal and mentioning your age can potentially work against you. Focus on your qualifications and experience, rather than your age.

4. How can I address any employment gaps on my resume?

If you have any employment gaps on your resume, be honest about them and explain the reason for the gap. This could include taking time off to care for family members, pursuing further education, or traveling. You can also highlight any relevant skills or experiences you gained during the gap period.

5. What are some other tips for writing a resume as an older worker, but new graduate?

Aside from highlighting your education and relevant skills, consider networking and reaching out to connections in your field. Attend job fairs and career events to make new connections and learn about potential job opportunities. Additionally, don't be afraid to tailor your resume to each job you apply for, highlighting the skills and experiences that are most relevant to the specific position.