REU and SULI Status Report COVID-19

In summary, one student's SULI summer internship at Brookhaven National Laboratory has been changed to a remote format, which was seen as a positive outcome compared to cancellation. The status of other students' summer research internships is still uncertain, but there are indications that they may continue in some form. The Cornell Nanoscale Facility's REU program has been cancelled due to the difficulty of switching to a remote format, but it is hoped that most programs will be able to make the transition.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
One student I mentor has reported that their SULI summer internship at Brookhaven National Laboratory has been modified to be remote (via internet) rather than in person. While there is some disappointment not being able to contribute to an experimental project in person, there is understanding that in the circumstance, this was a favorable outcome compared with cancellation.

The other students I mentor are still waiting on final word about their summer research internship opportunities, though they are getting positive signals that suggest a high probability of things moving forward one way or the other.

I thought it might be nice to have a thread here for folks to share information on statuses.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Cornell Nanoscale Facility's REU program has been cancelled. Obviously working remotely is tricky for a program whose main benefit is access to a great academic cleanroom, but I hope that most REUs/internships are able to switch to being remote. I'm glad BNL has moved in that direction.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What is an REU and SULI status report?

An REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) and SULI (Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships) status report is a document that summarizes the progress and findings of a research project conducted by undergraduate students through these programs.

2. How has COVID-19 affected REU and SULI status reports?

Due to the ongoing pandemic, many REU and SULI programs have been disrupted or canceled. This has resulted in delays or changes in the research projects, which may be reflected in the status report.

3. Are there any special considerations for REU and SULI status reports during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Yes, there may be additional information or sections included in the status report to address the impact of COVID-19 on the research project, such as changes in methodology or data collection methods.

4. Can REU and SULI status reports still be submitted during the pandemic?

Yes, many programs are still accepting and requiring status reports to be submitted, even if the research project has been affected by COVID-19. It is important to communicate any changes or delays in the project in the report.

5. How should I approach writing an REU and SULI status report during the pandemic?

It is important to be honest and transparent about any changes or challenges faced during the pandemic. Be sure to clearly communicate the impact of these changes on the research project and provide any necessary updates or adjustments to the original project plan.