Reverse-engineering YouTube Recommenders?

• A
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Youtube
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of music recommendation algorithms and the different types of algorithms that could be at work. The conversation also mentions the work of John T. Riedl, a pioneer in recommender systems, and his collaborations with others in the field. The conversation also touches on the idea of collaborative and content-based filtering in music recommendations. The speaker also shares their personal experience of using a specific song as a "seed" to explore different music recommendations.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
This is just out of curiosity. I have been hearing music from YouTube for a while. It seems no matter
where I start I end up in the same two songs, as sort of "Attractors".
Can I use the "path" generated by a specific song as a seed ( first one I listen to in a given internet session) and use the somg-path to reverse-engineer the underlying song recommender? EDIT: I am not sure how the LEvels issue works, so I will take any suggestion/idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is there are 2 (or more) types of algorithms at work. One could be based on your own listening history and try to recommend songs similar to ones which you like. There would need to be some method to decide what is similar and what is not similar. Another could be based on an association - what other people listened to after listening to a particular song. Or perhaps a method similar to Google's pagerank system, to figure which ones have the strongest connections.

Likes WWGD
The following links are to some open-access works co-authored by John T. Riedl, who was an IEEE Fellow, a University of Minnesota Professor, and a great man who had a special knack and compassionate motivation for imagining how people could co-contribute meaningfully in collaborative efforts. I think his sensibilities in that regard are part and parcel of what led him to be among the pioneers of recommender systems.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/deconstructing-recommender-systems
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/215470714_Evaluating_collaborative_filtering_recommender_systems
http://www.ra.ethz.ch/cdstore/www10/papers/pdf/p519.pdf
http://files.grouplens.org/papers/ec00.pdf
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a439541.pdf

John was a computing buddy of mine when we were in school (early-to-mid '80s), and he once had me co-present some ideas, mostly his own, for machine processing of natural (human) language.

The professors mostly thought the project ideas were too ambitious (possibly partly because we were both undergrads), but they let us get started on it, looking at ways to recognize grammatical constructs such as parts of speech, how to construct context-based semantic disambiguators based partly on analysis of proximities and frequencies of co-lexemes, syntactical facts, etc..

The faculty members questioned what uses we might find for such systems -- I said that minimally, we could enhance spelling checkers to recognize that "to, too, and two" don't always add up to six (that example of course works better in speech than in writing), or with a bit more effort, we could highlight possibly incorrect usage of "affect" versus "effect". John's response was more general, along the lines of "I don't really have much in mind yet about what the applications might be; I just think it'd be interesting; I'm curious about how far we could get with it just as a general purpose AI tool project."

John had previously asked me to write a command line interface to invoke a full-screen editor he'd written in PL/1, modeled after one he'd previously written in COBOL. In response, I'd written a few hundred lines of CLIST code to faithfully mimic the invocatory syntax and file allocation consequences of the IBM TSO EDIT command (a line-oriented, non-full-screen editor), making his editor more conveniently accessible to everyone.

John not only recognized and appreciated the abilities of others; if you were in his vicinity he would find some way for you to pitch on something he was working on, or he'd contribute helpfully to your work -- https://www.richrelevance.com/blog/2013/08/07/remembering-john-riedl/

Likes WWGD
scottdave said:
My guess is there are 2 (or more) types of algorithms at work. One could be based on your own listening history and try to recommend songs similar to ones which you like. There would need to be some method to decide what is similar and what is not similar. Another could be based on an association - what other people listened to after listening to a particular song. Or perhaps a method similar to Google's pagerank system, to figure which ones have the strongest connections.
I have heard them called collaborative filtering : when your "similars" ( people known to like songs you like too) and content-based filtering : recommendations based on songs one has listened too. Weird thing is that the same seed of two initial songs lead me through different paths/songs.

1. What is reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders?

Reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders is the process of analyzing and understanding the algorithm behind YouTube's recommendation system. This involves studying the factors and data that are used to determine which videos are suggested to users, in order to gain insight into how the system works and potentially improve it.

2. Why is reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders important?

Reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders is important because it allows us to understand how videos are recommended to users and why certain videos appear more frequently than others. This information can be used to improve the algorithm and make more accurate and relevant recommendations to users.

3. How do you reverse-engineer YouTube recommenders?

Reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders involves collecting and analyzing data, such as user interactions, video metadata, and viewing history, to identify patterns and trends. This can be done through various methods, such as data mining, machine learning, and statistical analysis.

4. What are the potential benefits of reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders?

The potential benefits of reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders include improving the accuracy and relevance of recommendations, increasing user engagement and satisfaction, and potentially discovering new insights and strategies for recommending videos. This can also benefit content creators by helping their videos reach a wider audience.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders?

Yes, there are potential ethical concerns with reverse-engineering YouTube recommenders. This includes the privacy of user data and the potential for manipulation or bias in the algorithm. It is important to consider and address these concerns in the process of reverse-engineering and using the information obtained for improving the algorithm.