Reversible Adiabatic Process Question

So yeah the question was how to get the work done. In summary, the problem involves an ideal gas at 300K with a volume of 15L and a pressure of 15 atm undergoing a reversible adiabatic expansion to a pressure of 10 atm. The gas has a specific heat capacity of 1.5R and a ratio of specific heats of 5/3. To calculate the work done, the change in temperature is found and used in the formula W = ΔU = nCvΔT.
kalbuskj31

Homework Statement

An Ideal Gas at 300K has a volume of 15L and a pressure of 15 atm. Calculate the change when the system goes under a reversible adiabatic expansion to a pressure of 10 atm. Gamma = 5/3. Cv = 1.5R. q = 0(definition of adiabatic processes).

Homework Equations

dw = P DV (lowercase means squiggly d and uppercase means straight d)
P = nRT/V

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book says w = 5130 J, which is the opposite of what I got for the internal energy.

First, I calculated n: n = PV/RT = 15 atm * 15 L / .08206 (L*atm / K * mole) * 300K

n = 9.14 moles

Then, I calculated Vf: Vf = [(Pf * Vi ^ (5/3)) / (Pf)] ^ 3/5

Vf = 19.13 L

dW = P DV
dw = NRT (dw = P DV so then work = NRT * Integral [DV/V]) ****This is wrong since T changes temperature between states*****

w = nRT ln(Vf/Vi)

Plugged in everything and the answer didn't turn out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks to be fine, so you might want to consider the units. Rather than L, convert to m^3, and instead of atm, convert to pascals.

Thanks for taking a look at the problem Gear300. The problem I found with my logic is that P, V, and T all are changing from state 1 to state 2 so I have to use the Internal Energy formula reversing the temperature. (i.e. Ti - Tf).

kalbuskj31 said:

Homework Statement

An Ideal Gas at 300K has a volume of 15L and a pressure of 15 atm. Calculate the change when the system goes under a reversible adiabatic expansion to a pressure of 10 atm. Gamma = 5/3. Cv = 1.5R. q = 0(definition of adiabatic processes).

(dw = P DV so then work = NRT * Integral [DV/V]) ****This is wrong since T changes temperature between states*****

w = nRT ln(Vf/Vi)

Plugged in everything and the answer didn't turn out.
Not sure what the question is. Are you trying to find the work done? Find the change in temperature and use:

[tex]W = \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]

AM

andrew,

That's what I ended up doing to get the answer.

1. What is a reversible adiabatic process?

A reversible adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process that occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that the system is completely isolated and there is no transfer of heat energy between the system and its surroundings. The process is also reversible, meaning that it can be reversed by changing the direction of the process without any loss of energy.

2. How does a reversible adiabatic process differ from an irreversible adiabatic process?

In a reversible adiabatic process, the system is isolated and there is no transfer of heat energy between the system and its surroundings. This allows the process to be reversed without any loss of energy. In an irreversible adiabatic process, the system is not isolated and there may be heat exchange with the surroundings, which can lead to a loss of energy and an inability to reverse the process.

3. What is the equation for calculating the change in internal energy in a reversible adiabatic process?

The equation for calculating the change in internal energy in a reversible adiabatic process is ΔU = Q - W = 0, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred, and W is the work done. Since the process is adiabatic, there is no heat transferred (Q = 0), so the change in internal energy is equal to the work done (W).

4. Can a reversible adiabatic process occur in real life?

Yes, a reversible adiabatic process can occur in real life, but it is difficult to achieve. In order for a process to be truly reversible, it must occur slowly and without any friction or heat transfer. This is not possible in most real-life situations, so reversible adiabatic processes are often used as idealized models in thermodynamics.

5. What are some examples of reversible adiabatic processes?

Some examples of reversible adiabatic processes include the expansion or compression of a gas in a piston-cylinder system, the expansion or compression of a gas in a turbine or compressor, and the expansion or compression of a gas in a nozzle. These processes are often used in thermodynamic cycles, such as the Carnot cycle, to model the behavior of idealized systems.