Reversible vs irreversible work for adiabatic process

In summary, the conversation discusses a gas transitioning adiabatically between two points with different pressures and volumes. The question is to determine the net work done on the gas when it is expanded reversibly and then compressed irreversibly at constant external pressure. The flaw in the logic is that irreversibly compressing at constant pressure would result in a final volume and temperature that is not equal to the initial state. This is due to friction and viscous dissipation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read a Physics Forums Insights article for more information on reversible and irreversible processes.
Andrew U
I have a gas transitioning adiabatically between A (P1, V1) and B (P2, V2) where P1>P2 and V2>V1. The question is to determine the net work done on the gas if the gas is first expanded reversibly from A to B (w = dE = Cv(T2-T1)), and then compressed irreversibly from B to A (w = -Pext(V1-V2)) at a constant external pressure defined by A. In this scenario, simply looking at the areas under the graphs the net work should be positive.I am trying to reconcile this with dE for the gas. For the roundtrip transition (A to B to A), dE = 0. And if we take each step as adiabatic, then dE = w for each step, but as I have described above you would end up with two different values for dE for each step, thus dE not equal to zero. My logic is flawed somewhere, can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a problem you invented yourself, or is it out of a book?

Chet

The flaw in the logic is this: If you try to recompress irreversibly at constant P1, you will re-equilibrate at a volume greater than V1 before ever reaching V1. So, you won't be able to reach the initial state in this adiabatic irreversible recompression. You can calculate what final volume and final temperature the system reaches by irreversibly recompressing at P1. The only way you can back to the initial state adiabatically is if you do it reversibly.

Chestermiller said:
The flaw in the logic is this: If you try to recompress irreversibly at constant P1, you will re-equilibrate at a volume greater than V1 before ever reaching V1. So, you won't be able to reach the initial state in this adiabatic irreversible recompression. You can calculate what final volume and final temperature the system reaches by irreversibly recompressing at P1. The only way you can back to the initial state adiabatically is if you do it reversibly.
Hi Chet, thanks! I invented this one (and obviously missed an important point). So if I end up at a larger volume, then my temperature must also be higher, correct? Is this because of friction during the irreversible compression?

Andrew U said:
Hi Chet, thanks! I invented this one (and obviously missed an important point). So if I end up at a larger volume, then my temperature must also be higher, correct? Is this because of friction during the irreversible compression?
Clarification: When I ask about the increase in temperature, I am referring to an additional increase that is larger than one would normally expect for an adiabatic compression, thus leading to a larger final volume.

Andrew U said:
Hi Chet, thanks! I invented this one (and obviously missed an important point). So if I end up at a larger volume, then my temperature must also be higher, correct?
Yes.
Is this because of friction during the irreversible compression?
Yes. Viscous dissipation.

Don't despair. You invented a very interesting problem. I've seen other versions of this before.

For more details in irreversible vs reversible processes, see my Physics Forums Insights article: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/reversible-vs-irreversible-gas-compressionexpansion-work/

1. What is the difference between reversible and irreversible work for an adiabatic process?

Reversible work for an adiabatic process is work that can be reversed without any loss of energy, while irreversible work involves a loss of energy due to dissipation or irreversibilities.

2. How do reversible and irreversible work affect the efficiency of an adiabatic process?

The efficiency of an adiabatic process is affected by the type of work performed. Reversible work results in a higher efficiency, while irreversible work leads to a lower efficiency due to the loss of energy.

3. Can both reversible and irreversible work occur in the same adiabatic process?

Yes, it is possible for both reversible and irreversible work to occur in the same adiabatic process. However, the total work will be a combination of the reversible and irreversible components.

4. How does the reversibility of work affect the internal energy of a system in an adiabatic process?

The reversibility of work has a direct impact on the internal energy of a system in an adiabatic process. Reversible work does not change the internal energy, while irreversible work causes a change in the internal energy due to energy loss.

5. Is reversible work always preferred over irreversible work in an adiabatic process?

It depends on the specific situation and priorities. Reversible work is more efficient and results in no change in internal energy, but it may require more time and resources. Irreversible work is less efficient and results in a change in internal energy, but it may be more practical or cost-effective in certain scenarios.