Reviving Old Memories: The Art of Dot Matrix Printing on Calendars

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cleaning
In summary, dot matrix printers were popular in the past and you can use them to create a custom image for your garage door.
edward
I found this old dot matrix of my children. It was printed on a calendar at Sears.

30ie5i9.jpg

How did they do that?? I know they took a regular picture first.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is they used the pixels of your Black and White image and mapped a character with a corresponding density of dots. In addition the algorithm was probably was sensitive to sudden pixel changes and would try to find the best character to map. As an example if the pixel to the left and the pixel below a given pixel were dark but the pixel itself was white then the might use an '[' or an 'L'...

Code:
#############
##[_______]##
#############

Sample palette:

Code:
light gray:

darker gray:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

black:

##########
##########
##########
##########
##########

so basically you could make a palette of characters to map to various shades of gray and then use that to construct the character based image. It was very popular before the advent of PCs and color printers.

Here's a program that do it:

http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/

and google has many pictures organized unde the search term "Ascii Art":

https://www.google.com/search?q=asc...rEMMiIyAH1rYGgCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=969&bih=609

and here's another explanation of how it works:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/394882/how-do-ascii-art-image-conversion-algorithms-work

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
opps, I forgot the year it was made.

23sd5yb.jpg

So how do I get a full size dot matrix Ferrari image on my garage door?

edward said:
opps, I forgot the year it was made.

23sd5yb.jpg

So how do I get a full size dot matrix Ferrari image on my garage door?

Get one of those projecters that hook to a computer and display an image on your garage door and then trace out the image and then paint it on manually. Or better yet, hire some out of work grafitti artist or custom van painter to spray paint it on.

jedishrfu said:
Get one of those projecters that hook to a computer and display an image on your garage door and then trace out the image and then paint it on manually. Or better yet, hire some out of work grafitti artist or custom van painter to spray paint it on.

The Home owners association won't allow a painted on picture. I had hoped they might go for something less noticeable like a lot of little dots.

Thanks much for your help and the links.

1. Why is it important to regularly clean out the hall closet?

Regularly cleaning out the hall closet helps to prevent clutter and maintain organization. It also allows for easier access to items and prevents them from getting lost or damaged over time.

2. How often should the hall closet be cleaned out?

The frequency of cleaning out the hall closet will depend on individual needs and usage. However, it is recommended to do a thorough cleaning at least once a year.

3. What items should be removed from the hall closet during cleaning?

All items should be removed from the hall closet during cleaning. This allows for a more thorough cleaning and gives you the opportunity to reorganize and declutter.

4. How should I organize the items in my hall closet?

The best way to organize items in the hall closet is to group them by category, such as jackets, shoes, and accessories. Use storage containers or shelves to keep items neatly in place.

5. What should I do with unwanted items from the hall closet?

Unwanted items from the hall closet can be donated, sold, or discarded. It's important to regularly assess which items are no longer needed or used to prevent clutter from building up again.