Revolutionizing Cleaning: The Power of Micro-fibre Cloths

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cleaning
In summary, the "General Technology" sub-forum used to be here, but it doesn't seem to fit quite right. W gave me a really neat little micro-fibre cloth a few years ago that is supposed to be for cleaning glasses. I was wondering how to clean it. The packaging said it should never get wet, so I soak mine with warm water before using it to clean a load of things. I wash mine in cold water with powdered detergent, NO fabric softener, then air-dry. If you happen to wreck it, go to a Dollar Store and buy more.
Danger
Gold Member
Didn't we used to have a 'General Technology' sub-forum? :confused:
Anyhow, I'm posting this here because I don't think that it quite fits into 'Materials Engineering'.
W gave me a really neat little micro-fibre cloth about 3 years ago, for cleaning my glasses. I also got one with my MacBook to clean the screen.
Anyhow, this thing has been kicking around in my pants pocket ever since I got it. It looks like the oil rag that you'd find in a mechanics' coveralls, yet it still cleans like crazy.
My question is, how you I clean it. The packaging said that it should never get wet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your micro-fibre cloth says not to get it wet? I soak mine with warm water before using it to clean a load of things, like my ceramic top stove. Anyhow, to clean it, my packaging says (and I have done/do) throw it in the regular wash and hang it to dry. If you happen to wreck it, go to a Dollar Store and buy more.

I wash mine in cold water with powdered detergent, NO fabric softener, then air-dry.

I got a couple of them with my last glasses and the optician said that they can be cleaned in the washing machine. I've been doing that with no ill effects. It really is a nice material, but it does retain all the stuff that goes onto it, so you have to clean it sometimes. I know when it needs it when I start to see a bit of smearing on the lenses, showing that it's redepositing the oils and stuff.

Has anyone used these things for larger projects like windows?

seerongo said:
Has anyone used these things for larger projects like windows?

Oh yes! When I first purchased mine I wiped down and cleaned the entire dashboard of my car while the cloth was still dry. (A young workmate I'd loaned my Jeep to commented on the 5 cm of dust that was on my dash and made me feel guilty so that was the inspiration to stop and pick up one of the things in the first place.) And it did a remarkable job. Then I noticed that the interior of my windshield had a thin haze on it, so I wiped the entirety of that too. It was remarkable. The glass on my windshield was almost invisible. I don't think I've ever tried a highly-touted "miracle" type product before and have been that completely impressed with the stupid thing.

GeorginaS said:
If you happen to wreck it, go to a Dollar Store and buy more.

By strange coincidence, W works at the local Dollar Store. :biggrin:
Thanks to all for the input. Once she teaches me how to use my washing machine, which she bloody well better before she moves away, I'll give it a try.

The packaging said that it should never get wet.
I wonder if what they meant is not to use is wet.

I don't think they rely on chemicals or anything that may get washed away. I believe it's just the structure of the material.

seerongo said:

I don't think they rely on chemicals or anything that may get washed away. I believe it's just the structure of the material.

That sounds quite reasonable. It is indeed the fibre structure that provides the cleaning action. I was worried that maybe washing it would alter that structure. Apparently, from the responses, that is not the case. I might have misread the original instructions.

seerongo said:

It is just the structure of the material, but I use it both wet and dry depending on what I'm doing. For dusting or for glass or my computer monitor, yes, I use it dry. I have a ceramic top stove that is a pain in the backside to clean -- and not just the stovetop surface but the glass-faced back with all of the buttons and knobs. Especially trying to get grease off. Previously I used a combination water and vinegar with a soft cloth and then hot water and dish soap with a soft cloth. Then dry, then repeat. With this stupid new cloth-mabob I wet it with warm water and wiped the whole shebang down and it came up spotless and beautifully shiny. It's goofily wild how good the microfibre thing is.

Edited to add: also, this past weekend while on an extended telephone conversation, I wet the thing in warm water and cleaned years of guck off of my keyboard keys. The keyboard looks new.

Last edited:

1. How do you clean a micro-fibre cloth?

To clean a micro-fibre cloth, you should first rinse it with warm water to remove any loose dirt or debris. Then, add a small amount of mild detergent to the cloth and gently rub the cloth together to create a lather. Rinse the cloth thoroughly with warm water and then air dry or use a low heat setting on your dryer. Avoid using fabric softener or bleach as this can damage the micro-fibre material.

2. Can you wash micro-fibre cloths in the washing machine?

Yes, micro-fibre cloths can be washed in the washing machine. However, it is important to use a mild detergent and avoid using fabric softener or bleach as mentioned before. It is also recommended to wash micro-fibre cloths separately from other laundry items to avoid any potential damage.

3. How often should you clean your micro-fibre cloth?

The frequency of cleaning your micro-fibre cloth depends on how often you use it and what you use it for. If you use the cloth daily for cleaning, it is recommended to wash it at least once a week. If you use it less frequently, you can wash it every 2-3 weeks. It is important to wash it regularly to remove any build-up of dirt and oils.

4. Can you use bleach to clean a micro-fibre cloth?

No, it is not recommended to use bleach to clean a micro-fibre cloth. Bleach can damage the delicate fibres of the cloth and reduce its effectiveness in cleaning. It is better to use a mild detergent and warm water for cleaning micro-fibre cloths.

5. How do you remove stains from a micro-fibre cloth?

If your micro-fibre cloth has stubborn stains, you can try pre-treating the stain with a stain remover or a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Gently rub the solution onto the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before washing the cloth as usual. Avoid using any harsh chemicals or scrubbing the stain too vigorously, as this can damage the cloth.