Reworking of the Drude model using scattering statistics

In summary, the problem is to rework the Drude model using clearly defined scattering statistics. The Drude model is given in terms of momentum and includes a term for the contribution of scattered electrons. The solution attempts have focused on using Fermi-Dirac statistics and classical elastic scattering off of nuclei. The probability of scattering per unit time is represented by \lambda, and the direction after scattering is characterized by the solid angle d\Omega '. The resulting equation includes terms for unscattered and scattered electrons, with the latter being integrated over a given angle. The solution obtained agrees with the hint given in a similar question.
Aaron young

Homework Statement

The problem I have been set is to rework the Drude model using clearly defined scattering statistics.

Homework Equations

The Drude model as we have been given it is in terms of momentum
[itex]\vec{p}(t+dt)=(1-\frac{dt}{\tau})(\vec{p}(t)-q\vec{E}(t)dt)+(\frac{dt}{\tau})(0)[/itex]
Where that last term represents the contribution of the scattered electrons to the total momentum of the electrons in the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts so far have focused on trying to use Fermi-Dirac statistics to somehow derive the momentum of a scattered electron (ie. one at thermal velocity) as a function of the average energy of an electron at thermal velocity. I have the horrible feeling I have been barking up completely the wrong tree however, so I am now making an attempt to somehow integrate classical elastic scattering off of nuclei into the equation. I don't know how well this will work though.

If anyone has been given a similar assignment in the past or has an idea what direction sounds most right to be going in some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on a question in a different thread that seems to be similar I have done the following

Probability of scattering per unit time = [itex]\lambda[/itex]
direction after scattering characterised by the solid angle [itex]d\Omega '[/itex]
The probability of a given angle after scattering is given by [itex]\omega (\theta)d\Omega '[/itex]
were [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the incident and scattered momenta, [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}'[/itex].

From this I have said that
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}f(\vec{p},t)=(1-\lambda)unscatteredthing+\lambda scatteredthing[/itex]
which I have written as
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}f(\vec{p},t)=f(\vec{p},t)-\lambda f(\vec{p},t)+\lambda \int \omega (\theta) f(\vec{p}',t) d\Omega'[/itex]

What I have gotten agrees with what is in the question containing the prompt I went off except for the first term, which does not feature in the version from the hint in that question.

1. What is the Drude model and why is it important?

The Drude model is a classical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a metal. It is important because it provides a basic understanding of electrical conductivity in metals and has been used as a starting point for more advanced theoretical models.

2. What is scattering statistics and how does it relate to the Drude model?

Scattering statistics is the study of the scattering of particles, such as electrons, in a material. In the Drude model, scattering statistics is used to describe how electrons interact with the atoms in a metal, leading to the observed electrical conductivity.

3. How is the Drude model being reworked using scattering statistics?

Researchers are using advanced statistical techniques to improve the accuracy of the Drude model. This involves analyzing the scattering statistics of electrons in different metals and incorporating this information into the model to better describe the behavior of electrons in these materials.

4. What are the potential applications of the reworked Drude model?

The reworked Drude model has the potential to provide more accurate predictions of electrical conductivity in a variety of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. This could have implications for the design of electronic devices, as well as for understanding the behavior of materials in extreme conditions.

5. What are the limitations of the reworked Drude model?

While the reworked Drude model is an improvement over the original model, it still has limitations. It is a classical model and does not take into account quantum effects, which can be important in certain materials. Additionally, it may not accurately describe the behavior of electrons in highly disordered materials or at very low temperatures.