Rewrite the following sentence as a formal proposition.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Henry R
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rewriting a set of sentences into a formal proposition using logical operators and variables to represent actions related to eating apples, durians, and rambutans. The final proposition includes implications and a disjunction.
Henry R
I have a question here. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here. So, we go!

"If I eat apples, then I will not eat durian, and if I eat durians, then I will not eat rambutans, and if I eat rambutans, then I will not eat apples, but I will surely eat either apples, durians or rambutans."

Let G =" I eat apples" , B ="I eat durians" , P = "I eat rambutans".

I have to rewrite the sentences as a formal proposition. Can you guys give your opinion on how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Henry R said:
I have a question here. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here. So, we go!

"If I eat apples, then I will not eat durian, and if I eat durians, then I will not eat rambutans, and if I eat rambutans, then I will not eat apples, but I will surely eat either apples, durians or rambutans."

Let G =" I eat apples" , B ="I eat durians" , P = "I eat rambutans".

I have to rewrite the sentences as a formal proposition. Can you guys give your opinion on how to solve this?

I would go with the following:
$$(G\to \neg B) \land (B\to \neg P) \land (P\to \neg G) \land (G\lor B\lor P).$$

Ackbach said:
I would go with the following:
$$(G\to \neg B) \land (B\to \neg P) \land (P\to \neg G) \land (G\lor B\lor P).$$

Good!

Related to Rewrite the following sentence as a formal proposition.

1. What does it mean to "rewrite the following sentence as a formal proposition"?

To rewrite a sentence as a formal proposition means to convert it into a statement that clearly expresses a single idea or argument, using precise and unambiguous language.

2. How is a formal proposition different from a regular sentence?

A formal proposition is different from a regular sentence in that it is specifically structured to convey a single idea or argument, using precise and unambiguous language. It typically follows a specific format, such as "If X, then Y" or "X is true/false."

3. Can you provide an example of a formal proposition?

Yes, an example of a formal proposition is "If all mammals have hair, and whales are mammals, then whales have hair."

4. Why is it important to write sentences as formal propositions in scientific writing?

Writing sentences as formal propositions in scientific writing is important because it allows for clear and concise communication of ideas and arguments. It also helps to ensure that the information presented is accurate and can be easily understood by others in the scientific community.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing formal propositions?

To improve your skills in writing formal propositions, it is important to practice constructing clear and concise statements that convey a single idea or argument. You can also read and analyze scientific articles to gain a better understanding of how formal propositions are used in scientific writing.