Rewriting Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of studying the photon polarization sum and getting stuck on certain equations. The equations in question are derived from the anticommutation relation and the Dirac equation, and they simplify the Feynman amplitude for the process. The first question is about getting a negative sign in one of the equations, and the second question is about how to obtain a specific equation using the anticommutation relation.
JD_PM
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand how to get the named equations below from Mandl & Shaw book.
I was studying the photon polarization sum process (second edition QFT Mandl & Shaw,https://ia800108.us.archive.org/32/items/FranzMandlGrahamShawQuantumFieldTheoryWiley2010/Franz%20Mandl%2C%20Graham%20Shaw-Quantum%20Field%20Theory-Wiley%20%282010%29.pdf) and got stuck in how to get certain equations.

We work in a gauge in which the polarization vectors of the external photons are of the form

$$\epsilon = (0, \vec \epsilon), \ \ \ \ \epsilon' = (0, \vec \epsilon') \tag 1$$

The 4 products ##\epsilon k## and ##\epsilon'k'## are

$$\epsilon k=-\vec \epsilon \cdot \vec k =0, \ \ \ \ \epsilon' k'=-\vec \epsilon' \cdot \vec k'=0 \tag 2$$

Let us work in the LAB frame.Then ##p=(m, 0, 0, 0)## Thus we have

$$p \epsilon = p \epsilon'=0 \tag 3$$

Given the anticommutation relation ##\{\gamma^{\alpha}, \gamma^{\beta}\}=2g^{\alpha \beta}## and the Dirac equation ##(\not{\!p}-m)u(\vec p)=0## we get

$$\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon}u=-m\not{\!\epsilon} u, \ \ \ \ \not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon'}\not{\!u}=-m\not{\!\epsilon'} u \tag 4$$

Given the Feynman Amplitude ##\mathscr{M}=\mathscr{M}_a+\mathscr{M}_b##, where

$$\mathscr{M}_a = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon'} (\not{\!p}+\not{\!k}+m) \not{\!\epsilon} u}{2(pk)}, \ \ \ \ \mathscr{M}_b = i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} (\not{\!p}-\not{\!k'}+m) \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk')} \tag 5$$

##\mathscr{M}_a## and ##\mathscr{M}_b## simplify to

$$\mathscr{M}_a = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!k'} \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk)}, \ \ \ \ \mathscr{M}_b = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!k'} \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk')} \tag 6$$

My questions are:

1) How to get Eqs ##(4)##

I almost get ##\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon}u=-m\not{\!\epsilon} u##; based on the Dirac equation we get ##\not{\!p}u(\vec p)=mu(\vec p)##, so we simply multiply by ##\not{\!\epsilon'}## (on the left side of the equation). However, note I do not get the negative sign.

How to get ##\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon'}\not{\!u}=-m\not{\!\epsilon'} u##? I guess we have to use ##\{\gamma^{\alpha}, \gamma^{\beta}\}=2g^{\alpha \beta}##, but how? I mean, all we can get out of the anticommutation relation is that ##\Big(\gamma^0\Big)^2=1## and ##\Big(\gamma^i\Big)^2=-1##, where ##i=1,2,3##.

2) How to get Eqs ##(6)##

Based on ##(1), (2)## and ##(3)## I get ##\not{\!\epsilon'} \not{\!p}=0, \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!p}=0, \not{\!\epsilon'} m=0, \not{\!\epsilon} m=0##. So I end up getting

$$\mathscr{M}_a = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon'} \not{\!k} \not{\!\epsilon} u}{2(pk)}, \ \ \ \ \mathscr{M}_b = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!k'} \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk')} \tag 7$$

Note I get the same ##\mathscr{M}_b## but not the same ##\mathscr{M}_a##. Is it a typo on the book or I am wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I asked thie question https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3703823/rewriting-feynman-amplitudes-and-the-dirac-equation but got not response.

Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
Summary:: I want to understand how to get the named equations below from Mandl & Shaw book.

I was studying the photon polarization sum process (second edition QFT Mandl & Shaw,https://ia800108.us.archive.org/32/items/FranzMandlGrahamShawQuantumFieldTheoryWiley2010/Franz%20Mandl%2C%20Graham%20Shaw-Quantum%20Field%20Theory-Wiley%20%282010%29.pdf) and got stuck in how to get certain equations.

We work in a gauge in which the polarization vectors of the external photons are of the form

$$\epsilon = (0, \vec \epsilon), \ \ \ \ \epsilon' = (0, \vec \epsilon') \tag 1$$

$$\epsilon k=-\vec \epsilon \cdot \vec k =0, \ \ \ \ \epsilon' k'=-\vec \epsilon' \cdot \vec k'=0 \tag 2$$

Given the anticommutation relation ##\{\gamma^{\alpha}, \gamma^{\beta}\}=2g^{\alpha \beta}## and the Dirac equation ##(\not{\!p}-m)u(\vec p)=0## we get

$$\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon}u=-m\not{\!\epsilon} u, \ \ \ \ \not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon'}\not{\!u}=-m\not{\!\epsilon'} u \tag 4$$

$$\mathscr{M}_a = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon'} (\not{\!p}+\not{\!k}+m) \not{\!\epsilon} u}{2(pk)}, \ \ \ \ \mathscr{M}_b = i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} (\not{\!p}-\not{\!k'}+m) \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk')} \tag 5$$

$$\mathscr{M}_a = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!k'} \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk)}, \ \ \ \ \mathscr{M}_b = -i e^2 \frac{\bar u' \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!k'} \not{\!\epsilon'} u}{2(pk')} \tag 6$$

My questions are:

I almost get ##\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon}u=-m\not{\!\epsilon} u##; based on the Dirac equation we get ##\not{\!p}u(\vec p)=mu(\vec p)##, so we simply multiply by ##\not{\!\epsilon'}## (on the left side of the equation). However, note I do not get the negative sign.

How to get ##\not{\!p} \not{\!\epsilon'}\not{\!u}=-m\not{\!\epsilon'} u##? I guess we have to use ##\{\gamma^{\alpha}, \gamma^{\beta}\}=2g^{\alpha \beta}##, but how? I mean, all we can get out of the anticommutation relation is that ##\Big(\gamma^0\Big)^2=1## and ##\Big(\gamma^i\Big)^2=-1##, where ##i=1,2,3##.

Because of the anticommutation relation of the Dirac matrices, we have for arbitrary four vectors a and b,
##\not{\!a} \not{\!b} = -\not{\!b} \not{\!a} + 2 a \cdot b ##
I will get back to your other questions a bit later.

JD_PM said:
Summary:: I want to understand how to get the named equations below from Mandl & Shaw book.

My questions are:

2) How to get Eqs ##(6)##

Based on ##(1), (2)## and ##(3)## I get ##\not{\!\epsilon'} \not{\!p}=0, \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!p}=0, \not{\!\epsilon'} m=0, \not{\!\epsilon} m=0##. So I end up getting
These are not correct. For example, ##\not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!p} = - \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!p} +2 \epsilon \cdot p ## which reduces to ## - \not{\!\epsilon} \not{\!p} ## in your case. Using this to move around the ##\not{\!p}## so that it acts on the spinor, you should recover their result.

Likes JD_PM

1. What is the significance of rewriting Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation?

The rewriting of Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics to simplify and improve the understanding of quantum field theory. It allows for a more elegant and efficient description of particle interactions, leading to better predictions and explanations of physical phenomena.

2. How does the rewriting of Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation affect our understanding of the universe?

By providing a more streamlined and accurate representation of particle interactions, the rewriting of Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation allows scientists to make more precise predictions about the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and its underlying laws.

3. Can you explain the process of rewriting Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation?

The process involves using mathematical tools and techniques to simplify and manipulate the equations governing particle interactions. This can involve reorganizing terms, using different mathematical representations, and making use of symmetries and other properties of the equations. The end result is a more concise and elegant form of the equations, which can provide deeper insights into the behavior of particles.

4. What are the benefits of rewriting Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation?

Aside from providing a more elegant and efficient description of particle interactions, the rewriting of Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in theoretical physics. It allows scientists to explore new ideas and approaches to understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to rewriting Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation?

As with any mathematical technique, there are limitations to the rewriting of Feynman amplitudes and the Dirac equation. It may not always be possible to simplify the equations in a meaningful way, and there may be cases where the rewritten equations are not as accurate or applicable to real-world situations. Additionally, the process of rewriting can be complex and time-consuming, requiring a deep understanding of both quantum field theory and advanced mathematics.