Rhodium Catalyst Uses: Explained

• Thread starter Physics345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catalyst
In summary, the question asks about three uses of rhodium as a catalyst. The first use is the reduction of nitrogen oxides. The second use is the carbonylation reaction. The third use is the conversion of carbon oxide to carbon dioxide. All of these uses require a balanced equation.
Physics345

Homework Statement

I was reviewing chem the other day, and noticed this question can anyone clarify my answer for me and let me know if I'm correct.

The question states:

Describe three uses of rhodium as a catalyst. ( include both a written description and the balancecd equation).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The rhodium in this case will help catalyze the reduction of nitrogen oxides [2NO_x → xO_2+N_2]. Secondly another use would be of the carbonylation reaction by adding a carbon dioxide molecule into methanol. H_3 COH+CO→H_3 CCOOH. Thirdly and finally, it can be used as vapour conversion of carbon oxide to carbon dioxide, which reduces water by adding a carbon dioxide molecule which looks like this: CO+H_2 O→CO_2+H^+

Physics news on Phys.org
The last reaction - as written - is technically impossible (can't be balanced).

Likes Physics345
Borek said:
The last reaction - as written - is technically impossible (can't be balanced).
Hi Borek, it's been a while! First off thanks for the reply it is very much appreciated.
But there is vapour conversion of carbon oxide to carbon dioxide right?
Also why exactly is it impossible?

Last edited:
You can't balance the equation, so the process can't follow it.

Doesn't mean there is no vapor conversion of oxides, just the reaction equation must be different.

Likes Physics345
Borek said:
You can't balance the equation, so the process can't follow it.

Doesn't mean there is no vapor conversion of oxides, just the reaction equation must be different.
CO2 + OH ---> CO + H2O
Would it look more like this then?

No such thing as OH (unless you mean a hydroxyl radical, but radicals are so reactive they don't need a catalyst).

Plus, it still can't be balanced.

Likes Physics345
Borek said:
No such thing as OH (unless you mean a hydroxyl radical, but radicals are so reactive they don't need a catalyst).

Plus, it still can't be balanced.
What exactly am I not understanding here?
Also is there any thing I should relearn to understand this better?

Catalyst can work only on real reactions - that means a balanced equation. Try to balance the two equations you posted.

1. What is rhodium catalyst and how does it work?

Rhodium catalyst is a type of catalyst that contains the precious metal rhodium. It works by speeding up chemical reactions without being consumed in the process. Rhodium catalysts are often used in reactions involving carbon-carbon bonds and hydrogenation reactions.

2. What are the common uses of rhodium catalyst?

Rhodium catalysts have a wide range of uses in various industries. They are commonly used in the production of pharmaceuticals, fine chemicals, and plastics. They are also used in the automotive industry for catalytic converters to reduce harmful emissions from vehicles.

3. How is rhodium catalyst different from other catalysts?

Rhodium catalysts are unique because of their high activity and selectivity, meaning they can speed up reactions and produce desired products with high precision. They are also highly resistant to high temperatures and corrosive environments, making them suitable for a wide range of reactions.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with using rhodium catalysts?

No, rhodium catalysts are considered to be environmentally friendly. They do not produce any harmful byproducts and are not consumed in the reactions, making them sustainable and cost-effective.

5. What are the benefits of using rhodium catalysts?

The use of rhodium catalysts offers many benefits, including faster reaction rates, improved product yields, and reduced energy consumption. They also allow for more efficient and precise production processes, resulting in cost savings and higher quality products.