Ricci Tensor/Scalar Contraction Manipulation Q&A

In summary, the Riemann tensor and scalar have specific definitions involving contractions over certain indices. When trying to show a specific relation involving the Ricci vector, it is important to consider the symmetries of the Riemann tensor and understand that the order of contractions does not affect the result.
binbagsss
So my textbook definitions of the ricci tensor and ricci scalar are:
##R_{ab}=R_{acbd}g^{cd}## - I note the contraction is over the 2nd and 4th index. and the 1st and 3rd.
##R=R_{ab}g^{ab}##

Now, I'm trying to show that ##g^{ad}g^{ce}(\bigtriangledown_{a}R_{bcde}+\bigtriangledown_{b}R_{cade}+\bigtriangledown_{c}R_{abde})=2\bigtriangledown^{a}R_{ab}-\bigtriangledown_{b}R##

It's obvious that the ##R## term must come from ##g^{ad}g^{ce}\bigtriangledown_{b}R_{cade}## . But, I'm not seeing this properly, if the ricci vector is defined for the contraction to only be over specific indicies -or can it be any 2? As here the summation is over indicies consecutive to each other, but in the definition given above its over the 1st and 3rd, and 2nd and 4th.

Also, I'm totally clueless as to where a minus sign is coming from?

Thanks very much !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
So my textbook definitions of the ricci tensor and ricci scalar are:
##R_{ab}=R_{acbd}g^{ad}g^{cd}## - I note the contraction is over the 2nd and 4th index. and the 1st and 3rd.
This does not make sense, you have three ds in your right hand side. Even if you replace the ##g^{ad}## by ##g^{ac}##, the right hand side does not have any free indices at all and the left hand side has a and b as free.

Orodruin said:
This does not make sense, you have three ds in your right hand side. Even if you replace the ##g^{ad}## by ##g^{ac}##, the right hand side does not have any free indices at all and the left hand side has a and b as free.
Apologies. edited.

binbagsss said:
As here the summation is over indicies consecutive to each other, but in the definition given above its over the 1st and 3rd, and 2nd and 4th.

Also, I'm totally clueless as to where a minus sign is coming from?

Do you perhaps know some symmetries that the Riemann tensor has?

binbagsss said:
Apologies. edited.
It still cannot be true. The left hand side has two free indices and the right hand side none.

Orodruin said:
It still cannot be true. The left hand side has two free indices and the right hand side none.
Edited, apologies again ! ta.

So what symmetries of the Riemann tensor are you familiar with?

Orodruin said:
So what symmetries of the Riemann tensor are you familiar with?
Ah yes. antisymmetric in the last/first two indices. the only thing i can see to explain a minus sign. thank you !

Apologies, another q, is the ricci vector defined to be over the 2nd and 4th only?

And then by use of ##R_{abcd}=R_{badc} ##, which is from swapping both the first 2 indices and the last 2, double negative, this is equivalent to contracting over the 1st and 3rd, or by definition is it either the 2nd and 4th or 1st and 3rd.

Thanks.

binbagsss said:
Apologies, another q, is the ricci vector defined to be over the 2nd and 4th only?

And then by use of ##R_{abcd}=R_{badc} ##, which is from swapping both the first 2 indices and the last 2, double negative, this is equivalent to contracting over the 1st and 3rd, or by definition is it either the 2nd and 4th or 1st and 3rd.

Thanks.

As you noticed, the two choices are equivalent due to the anti-symmetries of the tensor. It does not matter which one you select.

1. What is the Ricci tensor/scalar?

The Ricci tensor and scalar are mathematical quantities used in the study of general relativity, a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein. The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime, while the Ricci scalar is a scalar quantity that is derived from the Ricci tensor and represents the overall curvature of spacetime at a particular point.

2. How are the Ricci tensor and scalar related?

The Ricci tensor and scalar are related through a mathematical equation known as the Ricci scalar curvature equation. This equation involves the contraction (summation) of the components of the Ricci tensor, resulting in a single scalar value that represents the overall curvature of spacetime. In other words, the Ricci scalar is a condensed version of the Ricci tensor and provides a simpler way to describe the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is a contraction in the context of Ricci tensor/scalar manipulation?

In mathematics, a contraction refers to the process of summing over repeated indices in a tensor. In the context of Ricci tensor/scalar manipulation, this means performing a summation over specific components of the Ricci tensor in order to calculate the Ricci scalar. This contraction is a crucial step in the calculation of the Ricci scalar and is used to simplify the equation and make it more manageable.

4. How is the Ricci tensor/scalar used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Ricci tensor and scalar are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, which is related to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. The equations of general relativity, which describe the behavior of gravity, involve the Ricci tensor and scalar in their formulation. These quantities are important for understanding the dynamics of the universe and have been crucial in predicting and explaining phenomena such as black holes and gravitational waves.

5. What are some practical applications of Ricci tensor/scalar manipulation?

Ricci tensor/scalar manipulation has many practical applications in the fields of physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. In addition to its role in general relativity, the Ricci tensor and scalar are used in the study of gravitational waves, cosmological models, and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They also have applications in engineering, such as in the design of spacecraft trajectories and in the development of new technologies for space exploration.