Riddle from the dark tower series

In summary, the English word that can remain an English word at each step as you remove one letter at a time, right down to a single letter, is "startling." The letter removed at each step and the resulting words are: s-start, t-art, a-rat, r-at, t-a, i-a, n-a, g-a, l-a.
bobquantum
What has a mouth but cannot talk,
what can run but never walks?
what has a head but cannot weep.
what has a bed but cannot sleep?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobquantum said:
Sounds like a river to me.

too easy

I don't know...it could be a person who is in a hurry, has had his or her tongue and tear ducts removed, and has insomnia...tough call.

ƒ(x) said:
I don't know...it could be a person who is in a hurry, has had his or her tongue and tear ducts removed, and has insomnia...tough call.
Ahaha, you may be right.

Try this one: What English word is nine letters long, and can remain an English word at each step as you remove one letter at a time, right down to a single letter. List the letter you remove each time and the words that result at each step.

Hey. My university professir told me this one and I can't seem to get:

A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

bobquantum said:
Hey. My university professir told me this one and I can't seem to get:

A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?
That's an old one.
Take the goose over first and come back. Then take the fox over and bring the goose back. Now take the corn over and come back alone to get the goose. Take the goose over and the job is done!

bobquantum said:
Try this one: What English word is nine letters long, and can remain an English word at each step as you remove one letter at a time, right down to a single letter. List the letter you remove each time and the words that result at each step.

I want to know the answer!

bobquantum said:
Post office is like that and is 10 letters long.
What word changes from plural to singular when you add an 's' to the end of it?

jimmysnyder said:

I don't get it? Are 6 of them words nobody has ever heard of?

Phyisab**** said:
I don't get it? Are 6 of them words nobody has ever heard of?
You can take thousands of letters from the post office, one letter at a time right down to the last letter, and the word stays the same.

Oh man figures. I didn't think there was a word that could literally do that.

jimmysnyder said:
Princes :biggrin:

How about what word would change from singular to plural if you add an i at the end ?

bobquantum said:

needle
time
something
another something :biggrin:

Onibabavn said:
How about what word would change from singular to plural if you add an i at the end ?
I was going to say Hawaii, but I think fascist works better. A more interesting word is tor, an archaic word that means hill and is singular. Adding an i gives tori, which is plural for torus, adding yet another i yeilds torii, a gate to a Japanese Shinto shrine and singular.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:

Nearly every verb?

Last edited by a moderator:
bobquantum said:

"Starlings" is one such word.

Related to Riddle from the dark tower series

What is the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series?

The "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series is a collection of fantasy novels written by author Stephen King. The series follows the story of Roland Deschain, a gunslinger on a quest to reach the mysterious Dark Tower and save his dying world.

How many books are in the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series?

There are currently 8 books in the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series. The first book, "The Gunslinger," was published in 1982 and the most recent book, "The Wind Through the Keyhole," was published in 2012.

What is the main theme of the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series?

The main theme of the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series is the concept of fate and the idea of a larger force controlling the events in our lives. It also explores themes of loyalty, sacrifice, and the consequences of one's actions.

Will there be more books in the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series?

Author Stephen King has stated that he does not plan on writing any more books in the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series. However, he has also said that he may revisit the world and characters in future works.

Can the "Riddle from the Dark Tower" series be read as standalone books or should they be read in order?

While each book in the series can be read individually, it is recommended to read them in order to fully understand the overarching story and character development. The books build upon each other and reading them in order will provide a richer reading experience.