Riddle of the Bomb in Train: Solve the Mystery!

In summary: My apologies! In summary, the thought experiment is asking how the same event can be seen as two different things, depending on the observer. From the perspective of someone on the train, the events happen simultaneously. But from the perspective of someone on the platform, the events happen at different times.
entropy1
I saw in an other topic the following thought experiment:

In the middle of a train there is a bom with two lightdetectors. At both ends of the train there are two switchable lightsources. The two lightdetectors measure the respective light from both sources.

We switch on both switches simulateously as seen from within the train, and the lightsources start sending a photon in the direction of the bomb. Now, if the bomb detects both photons simultaneously, the bomb explodes.

Suppose that seen from within the train, the photons arrive simulaneously at the bomb and the bomb sets off.

Now, the obvious question is, how does this look from the platform? At relativistic speed, in this particular event, the photons don't arrive simultaneously! However, the bomb still explodes.

So, how is this not contradictory? The mechanism in the bomb requires simultanuity. Nevertheless, the bomb sets off... when? When the first photon seems to arrive? When the second photon seems to arrive? It is a mystery to me. Anyone an answer? I hope I was clear. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you're confusing the view from the platform. I believe that they would see them arrive at the central detectors at the same time. However, unlike a person on the train, they would not see them leave the sources at the same time.

Likes dextercioby, phyzguy and entropy1
entropy1 said:
I saw in an other topic the following thought experiment:

In the middle of a train there is a bom with two lightdetectors. At both ends of the train there are two switchable lightsources. The two lightdetectors measure the respective light from both sources.

We switch on both switches simulateously as seen from within the train, and the lightsources start sending a photon in the direction of the bomb. Now, if the bomb detects both photons simultaneously, the bomb explodes.

Suppose that seen from within the train, the photons arrive simulaneously at the bomb and the bomb sets off.

Now, the obvious question is, how does this look from the platform? At relativistic speed, in this particular event, the photons don't arrive simultaneously! However, the bomb still explodes.

So, how is this not contradictory? The mechanism in the bomb requires simultanuity. Nevertheless, the bomb sets off... when? When the first photon seems to arrive? When the second photon seems to arrive? It is a mystery to me. Anyone an answer? I hope I was clear. :smile:

The light reaches the bomb simultaneously from both sources in all reference frames. This is because the two events take place at the same location, so all reference frames will have a single time and location for this pair of events. And for the third event of the bomb exploding.

But, the two events of the light leaving the sources at either end of the train are not at the same location. These events, therefore, will only be simultaneous in the train's reference frame. In any other reference frames, they will not be simultaneous.

Likes dextercioby and entropy1
Ok. Thanks for the clear answers!

entropy1 said:
At relativistic speed, in this particular event, the photons don't arrive simultaneously!
No, they do arrive simultaneously. They don't depart simultaneously.

Edit: oh, I see I am relatively late to respond.

Likes Stephanus, dextercioby and entropy1

1. What is the premise of "Riddle of the Bomb in Train: Solve the Mystery!"?

The premise of the riddle is that there is a bomb on a train and the player must solve clues and puzzles to find and disarm the bomb before it explodes.

2. How difficult is "Riddle of the Bomb in Train: Solve the Mystery!"?

The difficulty level of the riddle can vary depending on the player's experience with puzzles and problem-solving. However, it is designed to be challenging and engaging for all players.

3. How long does it take to complete "Riddle of the Bomb in Train: Solve the Mystery!"?

The time it takes to complete the riddle can vary based on the player's speed and problem-solving abilities. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete.

4. Is there only one solution to "Riddle of the Bomb in Train: Solve the Mystery!"?

Yes, there is only one correct solution to the riddle. However, the path to finding the solution may differ for each player based on their choices and problem-solving skills.

5. Can the riddle be played multiple times?

Yes, the riddle can be played multiple times. However, it is recommended to take a break between playthroughs to give your brain a chance to reset and approach the riddle with a fresh perspective.