Riemann integrals and step functions

In summary, a Riemann integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a graph and represents the total change of a function over a given interval. There are two types of Riemann sums - left and right - that use different endpoints to approximate the area under the curve. Step functions are often used to approximate more complex functions in Riemann integrals. A function can still be Riemann integrable if it has discontinuities, as long as they are isolated and do not create infinite or undefined values. However, if a function has infinitely many discontinuities, traditional Riemann integration methods may not be possible and other techniques, such as Lebesgue integration, may be used.
GridironCPJ
Prove the following:

If f is Riemann integrable on an interval [a,b], show that ∀ε>0, there are a pair of step functions
L(x)≤f(x)≤U(x)
s.t.
∫_a^b▒(U(x)-L(x))dx<ε

My proof:

Since f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then, by Theorem 8.16, ∀ε>0, there is at least one partition π of the interval [a,b] s.t.
∑_(k=1)^n▒〖ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])(x_k-x_(k-1))〗<ε
Let L(x)=inf⁡〖f(x)〗 ∀x∈[x_(k-1),x_k] and let U(x)=sup⁡〖f(x)〗 ∀x∈[x_(k-1),x_k]. Note that
ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])(x_k-x_(k-1) )=U(x)-L(x)
so

∑_(k=1)^n▒〖(U(x)-L(x))(x_k-x_(k-1))〗<ε
|∑_(k=1)^n▒〖(U(x)-L(x))(x_k-x_(k-1))〗-0|<ε
Hence,
∫_a^b▒(U(x)-L(x))dx<ε
Which is precisely the statement needed to be proven. ∎
I feel like my proof makes sense, but I would like to get some feedback to see if anyone sees any flaws in my logic. Note that I essentially explained the details of Theorem 8.16 in my proof. Also, ignore the ▒'s, as they were created when copying and pasting from Word.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof looks correct to me. You have correctly used the definition of Riemann integrability and the fact that for any partition, the upper and lower sums can be made arbitrarily close to each other by choosing a small enough ε. You have also correctly defined the step functions L(x) and U(x) and shown that their difference is equal to the upper and lower sums. Your proof is clear and concise, and I do not see any flaws in your logic. Good job!

Related to Riemann integrals and step functions

1. What is a Riemann integral?

A Riemann integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total change of a function over a given interval.

2. What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each interval to calculate the height of the rectangles used to approximate the area under the curve. A right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint of each interval.

3. How do step functions relate to Riemann integrals?

Step functions are used to approximate more complex functions in Riemann integrals. They divide the interval into smaller subintervals and calculate the area under the curve for each subinterval.

4. Can a function be Riemann integrable if it has discontinuities?

Yes, a function can still be Riemann integrable if it has discontinuities, as long as the discontinuities are isolated and do not create infinite or undefined values.

5. How is the Riemann integral calculated for a function with infinitely many discontinuities?

If a function has infinitely many discontinuities, it is not possible to calculate the Riemann integral using traditional methods. In this case, other techniques such as Lebesgue integration may be used.