Riemannian Geometry: GR & Importance Summary

In summary, Riemannian Geometry plays an important role in defining geodesics, which can be determined through either the Lagrangian of a freely-falling particle or the parallel transport of a tangent vector. Additionally, the fundamental theorem of Riemannian geometry allows for the expression of important objects such as the Christoffel symbol and Riemann tensor in terms of the metric, making it a crucial tool for understanding space-time. Other important roles of Riemannian geometry include the consideration of non-Riemannian geometries in the Palatini formalism, where metric compatibility can still be achieved, and the exploration of torsion and non-symmetry in Weyl's gravity.
binbagsss
Hi

I've done a masters taught module in GR and from what I've learned these are two of some of the most important significance of needing a Riemannian Geometry:

1) If we consider the Lagrangian of a freely-falling particle given by ##L= \int ds \sqrt{g_{uv}\dot{dx^u}\dot{dx^v}} ## and find the equations of motion, by the principle of least action this is the shortest path and so must be the definition of a geodesic.

The alternate way to define a geodesic is that the tangent vector of is parallel transported along itself :

##V^u \nabla_u V^a =0 ##

Then via the fundamental theorem of Riemannian geometry,( given a manifold equipped with a non-degenerate, symmetric, differentiable metric there exists a unique torsion-free connection such that ##\nabla_a g_bc =0 ##), we can show that these two definitions of a geodesic are important

2) Due to the fundamental theorem of Riemannian geometry, equipped with a metric on the space-time, we can express important objects such as the Christoffel symbol and Riemman tensor in terms of the metric, and so the metric effectively encodes all the information about the space-time

Are there other important roles played by Riemannian geometry?

I find the first one pretty interesting- is it Palatini formalism that looks at when the geometry is non-Riemmanian and so the geodesics would not be the same?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I have read that in Palatini formalism, where the metric and connection are treated independently, if one is to assume any torsion-free connection then metric compatibility comes out by varying the action, is torsion free connection or a non-symmetric connection most widely explored in Palatini formalism?

Also, metric compatibility in GR means we can add the cosmological constant term whilst conserving the energy-momentum tensor still. In a palatini formalism where one does not assume torsion-free, are there any discussions on this or the fact the geodesics defined above do not agree, and a physical interpretation, that anyone could link me to? thanks

Yup, I read a paper on this a few months ago, here it is: https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.08756v5

I can recommend some other papers on the topic, but I think the book I mentioned above does go into this discussion as well in the appendix.To add into your question, I always see torsion free being explored because you can add torsion by just using a Dirac field as your source (which should have torsion). Also, if you want torsion and non-symmetry, you would be getting into a third theory which is Weyl's gravity.

Likes binbagsss

1. What is Riemannian Geometry?

Riemannian Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of curved spaces. It was developed by Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century and is an important tool in the study of General Relativity.

2. How is Riemannian Geometry related to General Relativity?

Riemannian Geometry provides the mathematical framework for understanding the curvature of spacetime in General Relativity. The theory of General Relativity is based on the idea that the presence of mass and energy causes spacetime to curve, and Riemannian Geometry provides the mathematical tools to describe and quantify this curvature.

3. What is the importance of Riemannian Geometry in modern physics?

Riemannian Geometry is essential in many areas of modern physics, including General Relativity, cosmology, and quantum field theory. It allows us to understand and describe the curvature of spacetime, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of gravity and the universe as a whole.

4. What are some applications of Riemannian Geometry?

Riemannian Geometry has many practical applications in addition to its use in physics. It is used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models, in robotics to calculate the optimal path for a robot to follow, and in machine learning to analyze and classify data.

5. Are there any open problems or ongoing research in Riemannian Geometry?

Yes, there are several open problems and ongoing research in Riemannian Geometry. Some of these include finding new ways to study and classify different types of curvature, understanding the relationship between Riemannian Geometry and quantum mechanics, and applying Riemannian Geometry to other areas of mathematics, such as topology and differential geometry.