Rigid body kinetics -- force on ankle joint

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the conservation of angular momentum and finding the joint force after impact. The equation for angular momentum is given and the solution for angular velocity is found to be 1.202 rad/s. The person solving the problem then calculates the velocity of the ankle joint and confirms its validity by calculating the impulse. There is also a discussion about the validity of the solution, with a hint to consider the axis used in the problem.
mastermechanic
Homework Statement
Rigid body kinetics problem involving Impulse-Momentum application
Relevant Equations
G = m.v and H = m.v.r
PROBLEM
H55.PNG

Here from the conservation of angular momentum I found angular velocity just before impact,
$$ H_1 = 0 $$
$$ H_2 = I_0\omega + mV_0d $$
$$ H_2 = 66\omega + 76.(1.2).(0.87)$$
$$ H_1 = H_2 $$
$$ \omega = 1.202 rad/s $$

But I couldn't solve it to find joint force.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mastermechanic said:
$$ H = I_0\omega + mV_0d $$
What is H in this equation? If it is supposed to express angular momentum conservation, the equation does not look like it. Angular momentum conservation is expressed as $$L_{\text{before}}=L_{\text{after}}.$$Is your ##d## the same as ##h## in the figure? How are you going to use the information that the collision lasts 20 msec? Hint: Think "impulse".

Last edited:
You're right I just wrote it fast, the angular momentum is zero before the impact and is the expression I wrote above after the impact. So I found $$ \omega = 1.202 rad/s $$

I found a way but I appreciate if you confirm it's validity,

V of the ankle joint,

$$ V = \omega.r $$
$$V = 1.202 * 0.87 = 1.05 m/s $$
$$ \frac {m.(V_f - V_i)} {t} = \frac {76.(1.05 - 1.2)} {0.02} = - 585 N $$

Is this correct?

Last edited:
mastermechanic said:
You're right I just wrote it fast, the angular momentum is zero before the impact
The angular momentum about what axis is zero before the impact?

jbriggs444 said:
The angular momentum about what axis is zero before the impact?

To the page

mastermechanic said:
Is this correct?
It's what I got. Nevertheless, think about the answer you gave to @jbriggs444. If the angular momentum is zero before the impact and non-zero after the impact, it cannot be conserved through the collision, can it?

Last edited:
mastermechanic said:
To the page
The page? I do not understand. The page is a plane. An axis is a line. If you draw a normal rising out of the page, that still does not define an axis because no location for the line is defined.

The problem statement gives a large hint about what axis to use. The problem is that you've not correctly used it.

1. What is rigid body kinetics?

Rigid body kinetics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion and forces of solid objects that do not deform under the action of external forces. It is used to analyze the motion and forces of objects such as bones in the human body.

2. How is the force on the ankle joint calculated?

The force on the ankle joint is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of the ankle joint, the force is the result of the muscles and tendons pulling on the bones.

3. What factors affect the force on the ankle joint?

The force on the ankle joint can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the body, the angle of the joint, and the strength and activation of the muscles and tendons surrounding the joint.

4. How does the force on the ankle joint change during different activities?

The force on the ankle joint can vary greatly depending on the activity being performed. For example, activities that involve running or jumping will put more force on the ankle joint compared to activities that involve standing or walking.

5. How can understanding rigid body kinetics help in preventing ankle injuries?

By understanding the forces acting on the ankle joint during different activities, we can identify potential areas of weakness and take steps to strengthen and protect the joint. Additionally, understanding how the ankle joint responds to different forces can help in developing proper techniques and movements to prevent injuries.