Rigorous Precalculus and Calculus Textbooks + Intro to Linear Algebra

In summary: For people who are starting college in the late 2010s or 2020s, this rigor may be unfamiliar or too hard. Textbooks that introduce those topics are not written in a rigorous fashion, so it may be impractical to find an introductory text that meets your standards.
PFuser1232
I am currently studying A level Further Pure Mathematics, and I will be joining university next year. I want to brush up on precalculus (algebra, trigonometry, geometry) and calculus (differential, integral [single variable]), except that this time I need a more rigorous treatment of those topics. Most of what I covered in high school was very computational, with barely any focus on mathematical rigor. I am also looking for a good introduction to linear algebra textbook.What textbooks would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak or Apostol calculus? Serge Lang basic mathematics for pre cal.

For linear algebra. There is a book mathwonk recommends (Math professor at a university who frequents this forum). The book is called Elementary Linear Algebra by Paul Shields. It is not rigorous, but it is by no means a trial book. USE this book first then Serge Lang Linear Algebra?

MidgetDwarf said:
Spivak or Apostol calculus? Serge Lang basic mathematics for pre cal.

Is Spivak Calculus better than Simmons/Stewart Calculus?

Yes but it is more of the theory behind calculus book. In other words spivak is introductory analysis light. Spivak is a hard book but a good one. If you have the mathematical maturity go for it. Would advice strongly against spivak if you are not there yet. An older version of thomas with analytic geometry would be best. Are you still in highchool?

MidgetDwarf said:
Yes but it is more of the theory behind calculus book. In other words spivak is introductory analysis light. Spivak is a hard book but a good one. If you have the mathematical maturity go for it. Would advice strongly against spivak if you are not there yet. An older version of thomas with analytic geometry would be best. Are you still in highchool?

Yes, still in high school. I finished most of my subjects early though, so I know some basic differentiation and integration.

Then spivak would be too hard if you don't have anyone to help you with. I would advice f getting an older edition of stewart with an older edition of thomas calculus with analytic geometry. I know that the 3rd ed is great but a little terse. I I've seen the 7th edition with lighthouse cover. I thought it was easier to read but it reminded me to much of stewart. Both books should be les than 20 dollars.

Both books compliment each other well. Avoid watching youtube videos as soon as you get. Getting stuck is the best process of the learning experience.

MidgetDwarf said:
Then spivak would be too hard if you don't have anyone to help you with. I would advice f getting an older edition of stewart with an older edition of thomas calculus with analytic geometry. I know that the 3rd ed is great but a little terse. I I've seen the 7th edition with lighthouse cover. I thought it was easier to read but it reminded me to much of stewart. Both books should be les than 20 dollars.

Both books compliment each other well. Avoid watching youtube videos as soon as you get. Getting stuck is the best process of the learning experience.

What about Simmons calculus?

MohammedRady97 said:
except that this time I need a more rigorous treatment of those topics.

Having read some of your posts on the forum, I'd say you have an high standard of rigor - a very high standard relative to the general population taking introductory courses. Textbooks that introduce those topics are not written in a rigorous fashion, so it may be impractical to find an introductory text that meets your standards.

(In the decade after Sputnik threw a scare in the USA education system, there were efforts to produce textbooks that were in harmony with respectable mathematics - versus being in harmony with convenient ways to teach students to work typical problems. An example of such a text is the 3rd edition of Calculus With Analytic Geometry by Johnson and Kiokemeister. The 4th edition takes an even more sophisticated approach but also has a slew of misprints. The last time I looked at Calculus books was in the 1980's and they were much less rigorous than J&K 3rd edition.)Doing mathematics in a rigorous fashion can be laborious and slow, but mentally satisfying. You have to decide how to compromise the goal of "covering the material" with working in a way you enjoy. To cover material, you have to endure the fact that some aspects will not be presented rigorously. For example, the organization of mathematics education places the rigrorous approach to the properties of the real numbers in a graduate or advanced undergraduate course. Those who get to that course have been required to work with the real numbers in math courses for many years before they arrive.

Likes PFuser1232

1. What is the purpose of studying rigorous precalculus and calculus?

Studying rigorous precalculus and calculus is important for building a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. These subjects are also essential for future studies in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

2. What sets a rigorous precalculus and calculus textbook apart from others?

A rigorous precalculus and calculus textbook will have a strong emphasis on proving mathematical theorems and concepts, rather than simply providing formulas and procedures. It will also cover advanced topics and challenging problems to prepare students for higher level mathematics courses.

3. How can a rigorous precalculus and calculus textbook help with understanding linear algebra?

A strong understanding of precalculus and calculus is crucial for understanding linear algebra, as it provides the necessary mathematical background for topics such as matrices, vectors, and systems of equations. A rigorous textbook will ensure that students have a solid grasp of these fundamental concepts.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying rigorous precalculus and calculus?

Most rigorous precalculus and calculus textbooks assume a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry concepts. It is also helpful to have prior knowledge of functions and their properties. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in these courses.

5. How can one make the most out of studying from a rigorous precalculus and calculus textbook?

To make the most out of studying from a rigorous precalculus and calculus textbook, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking detailed notes, practicing problems, and seeking help when needed. It is also beneficial to work through the proofs and understand the underlying concepts rather than simply memorizing formulas.