Textbooks vs Khan Academy for Self Study and PreCalc CLEP

In summary, for someone who is just starting out in college level math and is passthroughing (non-traditional student), book suggestions would be Cohen's Precalculus 3rd Ed and Khan Academy. If the student intends to further their studies, they should use textbook and Khan Academy when needed, but also attend lectures and have office hours with professors.
Chandller
Gold Member
Hi PF,
I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving. Quick question, as I've mentioned before, I am non-traditional college student who is right at just over College Algebra/beginning Trig level in Math. While I am out of university, to make enough money to return, I am wanting to CLEP PreCalculus, as well as, brush up on my PreCalculus/Foundational Mathematics.

My question is, would you suggest Khan Academy or a PreCalculus Textbook/s?
Book suggestions always appreciated. I have Cohen's Precalculus 3rd Ed, btw.I appreciate the help,
Chan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I might be oldfashioned, but I'd always prefer textbooks to Youtube videos. Also one should know that to learn math the worst you can do is just watching a movie; the second worst is to just read a book. The best and I think even mandatory is to get active yourself and solve a lot of problems, thinking over the proofs yourself.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd, Chandller, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
Well, I might be oldfashioned, but I'd always prefer textbooks to Youtube videos. Also one should know that to learn math the worst you can do is just watching a movie; the second worst is to just read a book. The best and I think even mandatory is to get active yourself and solve a lot of problems, thinking over the proofs yourself.

vanhees71 said:

Why not use every resource in your toolkit such as watching a video explaining how to do a problem? To compete in the world today, those that eschew technology will find it harder than ever to keep up.

I've nothing against technology and I think the Khan videos on Youtube are pretty good, but it's an illusion to think you can learn math from watching a movie (or in the analogue world listening a math lecture) only.

Likes Frimus
Textbook as main literature and YouTube videos (and @etotheipi ) when you don't understand that either.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
Eventually. Videos become rare the more vertical you move up in your studies. Its important to learn how to read a textbook/articles/research paper at some point. The sooner the better. You are are not limited solely to the textbook. Thats what great about technology...

Likes archaic
The problem with Khan Academy is the problems they provide are too simple.

Likes Mondayman
I really like Khan Academy. I failed most of my classes every year as a student and math was one of my worst subjects.i was eventually expelled. But Khan Academy kickstarted my math education as an adult, and I was able to get pretty good at algebra before moving on to university math.

That being said, it's usefulness drops off after algebra in my opinion. The problems are lacking, and it's interface is just weird for deep learning.

If you intend to complete a degree in just about any field, you will most likely have to get used to learning on your own, using whatever resources available but mostly your lectures and textbooks, as well as office hours with TAs or profs.

Likes CalcNerd and vanhees71

1. What are the main differences between using textbooks and Khan Academy for self-study and preparing for the PreCalc CLEP exam?

The main difference is the format of the material. Textbooks provide written explanations and examples, while Khan Academy offers videos and interactive practice exercises. Additionally, textbooks may cover a wider range of topics, while Khan Academy focuses on specific concepts.

2. Which option is more cost-effective for self-study and preparing for the PreCalc CLEP exam?

Khan Academy is generally more cost-effective as it is a free online resource. Textbooks can be expensive, especially if you need to purchase multiple books for a comprehensive review.

3. Which option is better for visual learners?

Khan Academy may be a better option for visual learners as it offers videos and interactive practice exercises. However, some textbooks also include diagrams and illustrations that may be helpful for visual learners.

4. Can both textbooks and Khan Academy be used together for self-study and preparing for the PreCalc CLEP exam?

Yes, using both resources together can be beneficial. Textbooks provide a more comprehensive and in-depth explanation of concepts, while Khan Academy can be used for additional practice and reinforcement of those concepts.

5. Which option is better for time management when preparing for the PreCalc CLEP exam?

This may vary depending on the individual's learning style and study habits. Some may find it more efficient to use textbooks as they can easily skip to specific sections and spend more time on challenging topics. Others may find it more time-effective to use Khan Academy's structured format and interactive practice exercises.