Rings of Fractions .... Lovett, Section 6.2, Proposition 6.2.6 .... ....

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Proposition 6.2.6 in Stephen Lovett's book "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications". The main questions revolve around the use of the First Isomorphism Theorem in establishing that R is isomorphic to the image of the function $\phi$, which is defined in Lemma 6.2.5. The conversation clarifies that the First Isomorphism Theorem is needed because having a surjection from one ring to another does not necessarily imply isomorphism, and that the image of $\phi$ is a subring of $D^{-1}R$ which is also isomorphic to $R$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Stephen Lovett's book, "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" and am currently focused on Section 6.2: Rings of Fractions ...

I need some help with the proof of Proposition 6.2.6 ... ... ...

Proposition 6.2.6 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 6465
View attachment 6466In the above proof by Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... By Lemma 6.2.5, the function \(\displaystyle \phi\) is injective, so by the First Isomorphism Theorem, \(\displaystyle R\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\). ... ... "
*** NOTE *** The function \(\displaystyle \phi\) is defined in Lemma 6.2.5 which I have provided below ... ..
My questions are as follows:Question 1

I am unsure of exactly how the First Isomorphism Theorem establishes that \(\displaystyle R\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\).

Can someone please show me, rigorously and formally, how the First Isomorphism Theorem applies in this case ... Question 2

I am puzzled as to why the First Isomorphism Theorem is needed in the first place as \(\displaystyle \phi\) is an injection by Lemma 6.2.5 ... and further ... obviously the map of \(\displaystyle R\) to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\) is onto, that is a surjection ... so \(\displaystyle R\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\) ... BUT ... why is Lovett referring to the First Isomorphism Theorem ... I must be missing something ... hope someone can clarify this issue ...Peter===================================================

In the above, Lovett refers to Lemma 6.2.5 and the First Isomorphism Theorem ... so I am providing copies of both ...Lemma 6.2.5 reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6467
The First Isomorphism Theorem reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6468

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Question 1

I am unsure of exactly how the First Isomorphism Theorem establishes that \(\displaystyle R\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\).

Can someone please show me, rigorously and formally, how the First Isomorphism Theorem applies in this case ...
Since $\phi$ is injective, its kernel is trivial, and hence $R \approx \text{Im } \phi$ by the first isomorphism theorem. Perhaps you're forgetting that $R/{0} \approx R$.

Peter said:
Question 2

I am puzzled as to why the First Isomorphism Theorem is needed in the first place as \(\displaystyle \phi\) is an injection by Lemma 6.2.5 ... and further ... obviously the map of \(\displaystyle R\) to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\) is onto, that is a surjection ... so \(\displaystyle R\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \text{Im } \phi\) ... BUT ... why is Lovett referring to the First Isomorphism Theorem ... I must be missing something ... hope someone can clarify this issue ...
Having a surjection from one ring onto another does not imply that the rings are isomorphic. The image of $\phi$ is a subring of $D^{-1}R$, and is also isomorphic to $R$ by the first isomorphism theorem. So the first conclusion of Proposition 6.2.6 holds.

Euge said:
Since $\phi$ is injective, its kernel is trivial, and hence $R \approx \text{Im } \phi$ by the first isomorphism theorem. Perhaps you're forgetting that $R/{0} \approx R$.

Having a surjection from one ring onto another does not imply that the rings are isomorphic. The image of $\phi$ is a subring of $D^{-1}R$, and is also isomorphic to $R$ by the first isomorphism theorem. So the first conclusion of Proposition 6.2.6 holds.
Thanks Euge ...

Appreciate your helpPeter

What are "Rings of Fractions"?

"Rings of Fractions" refers to a mathematical concept where a ring is extended to include fractions, allowing for more operations to be performed within the ring.

What is Lovett, Section 6.2?

Lovett, Section 6.2 is a chapter in the textbook "Rings and Modules" written by William J. Lovett. This section specifically discusses the concept of Rings of Fractions.

What is Proposition 6.2.6?

Proposition 6.2.6 is a specific proposition within Lovett, Section 6.2 that discusses the properties of Rings of Fractions, specifically the properties of multiplication.

How can Rings of Fractions be useful in scientific research?

Rings of Fractions can be useful in scientific research for their ability to extend a ring to include fractions, allowing for more operations to be performed within the ring. This can be beneficial in various mathematical models and calculations.

Are there any limitations to Rings of Fractions?

Yes, there are limitations to Rings of Fractions. For example, the ring must have a multiplicative identity and the denominators of the fractions must be non-zero. Additionally, the fractions must be closed under multiplication in order for the ring to remain a ring.