Rings of Fractions .... Lovett, Section 6.2, Proposition 6.2

In summary: I see what you are getting at. If ##a## is any element of the set ##R/I##, then there exists a coset ##r+I## which is not contained in any other coset.##So in summary, according to Lovett, the proof of Proposition 6.2.6 is as follows:1. The function ##\phi## is injective, so by the First Isomorphism Theorem, ##R## is isomorphic to ##\text{Im } \phi##.2. The First Isomorphism Theorem establishes that ##R## is isomorphic to ##\text{Im } \phi##.3. The function ##\phi## is
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Stephen Lovett's book, "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" and am currently focused on Section 6.2: Rings of Fractions ...

I need some help with the proof of Proposition 6.2.6 ... ... ...

Proposition 6.2.6 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=956de8e8f0550191ac493c6ce82e5191.png

In the above proof by Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... By Lemma 6.2.5, the function ##\phi## is injective, so by the First Isomorphism Theorem, ##R## is isomorphic to ##\text{Im } \phi##. ... ... "*** NOTE *** The function ##\phi## is defined in Lemma 6.2.5 which I have provided below ... ..
My questions are as follows:Question 1

I am unsure of exactly how the First Isomorphism Theorem establishes that ##R## is isomorphic to ##\text{Im } \phi##.

Can someone please show me, rigorously and formally, how the First Isomorphism Theorem applies in this case ...Question 2

I am puzzled as to why the First Isomorphism Theorem is needed in the first place as ##\phi## is an injection by Lemma 6.2.5 ... and further ... obviously the map of ##R## to ##\text{Im } \phi## is onto, that is a surjection ... so ##R## is isomorphic to ##\text{Im } \phi## ... BUT ... why is Lovett referring to the First Isomorphism Theorem ... I must be missing something ... hope someone can clarify this issue ...Hoe that someone can help ... ...

Peter===================================================

In the above, Lovett refers to Lemma 6.2.5 and the First Isomorphism Theorem ... so I am providing copies of both ...Lemma 6.2.5 reads as follows:

The First Isomorphism Theorem reads as follows:

Attachments

• Lovett - 1 -  Proposition 6.2.6 - PART 1 ... ....png
    Lovett - 1 - Proposition 6.2.6 - PART 1 ... ....png
    10.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Lovett - 2 -  Proposition 6.2.6 - PART 2 ... ....png
    Lovett - 2 - Proposition 6.2.6 - PART 2 ... ....png
    9.2 KB · Views: 516
  • Lovett - Lemma 6.2.5 ... ... .png
    Lovett - Lemma 6.2.5 ... ... .png
    10.8 KB · Views: 630
  • Lovett - Theorem 5.6.8 - First Isomorphism Theorem  ... ... .png
    Lovett - Theorem 5.6.8 - First Isomorphism Theorem ... ... .png
    14.6 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
question1.
since φ is injective, Ker φ only contains the identity of R, so R is isomorphic to φ(R) = I am φ according to the isomorphism theorem.
question2.
no Idea. You can easily see that φ i a bijection, so R must be isomorphic to I am φ.

Likes Math Amateur
willem2 said:
question1.
since φ is injective, Ker φ only contains the identity of R, so R is isomorphic to φ(R) = I am φ according to the isomorphism theorem.
question2.
no Idea. You can easily see that φ i a bijection, so R must be isomorphic to I am φ.
Hi willem2,

Thanks for the help ...

Yes, I can see the main thread of your argument ...

... basically ...

##\phi injective##

##\Longrightarrow \text{Ker } \phi = {0}## ... ... that is ##\text{Ker } \phi## contains only additive identity of R

##\Longrightarrow R/ \text{Ker } \phi = R/ {0} = R \cong \text{Im } \phi ##

Is that correct?... BUT ...

Can you explain in simple terms, why ##R/ {0} = R## ... ...?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Can you explain in simple terms, why ##R/ {0} = R##
##R/\{0\} = \{r + \{0\}\,\vert \,r \in R\} = \{\{r\}\,\vert \,r \in R\} \cong \{r\,\vert \,r \in R\} = R##.
Did you mean something like this? Remember that ##R/I## is the set of all cosets ##r+I##.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
##R/\{0\} = \{r + \{0\}\,\vert \,r \in R\} = \{\{r\}\,\vert \,r \in R\} \cong \{r\,\vert \,r \in R\} = R##.
Did you mean something like this? Remember that ##R/I## is the set of all cosets ##r+I##.
Thanks fresh_42 ... yes, exactly what I meant ...

Would the answer be the same for ##R/ \{a \}## where ##a## was a given particular element of ##R##? Indeed what would the various cosets be?

Peter

You could formally build cosets ##r+\{a\}## but unless you take the ideal generated by ##a##, i.e. ##Ra##, you won't get a structure of interest on ##R/\{a\}##. E.g. if ##[x]_a## denotes the coset ##x+\{a\}##, then ##[0]_a \neq [a+a]_a## because ##a+a \notin \{a\}## and on the other hand ##[a]_a + [a]_a = [0]_a + [0]_a.## Thus ##[a+a]_a = [a]_a + [a]_a## cannot be concluded, which means you cannot add anymore unless ##a=0##.

So better forget about this idea of cosets of single elements other than zero. At least we want to have a subring; ideal would be better.

If you want to learn something about cosets, you could prove the following as an exercise:
Given a subgroup ##U## of a finite group ##G##. Then ##G/U## is well defined and ##U## partitions ##G## into equally large subsets of ##G##, the cosets ##xU##.
But ##G/U## carries a group structure again, if and only if ##U## is a normal subgroup of ##G##.

This is the reason why we consider normal subgroups instead of only subgroups. I haven't done the math, but I assume it's similar with ideals and subrings. So factoring along a single point set only makes sense, if this point is the neutral element of the underlying group. And rings only build a group with addition, because multiplication isn't invertible.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
I wonder if in a sense we can consider this as an allowable case of division by 0.

WWGD said:
I wonder if in a sense we can consider this as an allowable case of division by 0.
You look like a quotient
Walk like a quotient
Talk like a quotient
But I got wise
You're an addition in disguise
Oh, yes, you are
Addition in disguise

You fooled me with your slashes
You cheated and you schemed
Heaven knows how you lied to me
You're not the way you seemed

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
You look like a quotient
Walk like a quotient
Talk like a quotient
But I got wise
You're an addition in disguise
Oh, yes, you are
Addition in disguise

You fooled me with your slashes
You cheated and you schemed
Heaven knows how you lied to me
You're not the way you seemed
Still, you may mod out by a non-Abelian group, in which case it does not come down to addition.

Related to Rings of Fractions .... Lovett, Section 6.2, Proposition 6.2

1. What are rings of fractions?

Rings of fractions, also known as localization, are a mathematical concept used to construct new rings from existing ones. These new rings are created by taking a subring of the original ring and inverting a specific subset of elements, called the multiplicative set.

2. What is the purpose of rings of fractions?

The purpose of rings of fractions is to create a new ring with specific properties that make certain calculations and proofs easier. They are often used in abstract algebra and commutative algebra to solve problems involving fractions in a more general setting.

3. How are rings of fractions related to fields?

Rings of fractions are closely related to fields, as fields can be seen as a special case of rings of fractions. Specifically, a field can be constructed by taking the ring of integers and inverting all non-zero elements, resulting in the field of rational numbers.

4. Can rings of fractions be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, rings of fractions can be used to simplify calculations, especially in cases where fractions are involved. By inverting certain elements, the resulting ring of fractions may have fewer elements and simpler algebraic properties, making calculations easier.

5. Are rings of fractions unique?

No, rings of fractions are not unique. The resulting ring of fractions may differ depending on the choice of the multiplicative set. However, they are unique up to isomorphism, meaning that the algebraic structure of the resulting ring is the same regardless of the specific elements chosen for the multiplicative set.