RIP Graeme Edge (80), drummer, Moody Blues

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge Rip
In summary, Graeme Edge, co-founder and drummer of the Moody Blues, passed away at the age of 80. His drumming skills were crucial to the success of the band's popular prog-rock hits during the 1960s-70s, including "Nights in White Satin," "Tuesday Afternoon," and "I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)." The group was known for their unique blend of rock and orchestral elements. Edge's spoken intro in "Nights in White Satin" was believed to be a reference to LSD.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

Moody Blues drummer, co-founder Graeme Edge dies at 80​

https://apnews.com/article/entertai...ayward-music-4539837e7e0a8f59c2050c87c260ee42

In 1964, Edge co-founded the group in Birmingham, England. His drumming expertise was a key ingredient for the band’s massive prog-rock hits between the 1960s-70s including “Nights in White Satin,” “Tuesday Afternoon,” and “I’m Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band).”

Nights in White Saturn
I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band

• Sad
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Sad to hear.
Here are a couple Moody Blues songs with one of my favorite transitions between then:

I remember him and the Moody Blues on television in 1967 or so. I believe they all wore mod suits. I thought "that keyboard imitating a orchestra sounds great." Little did I know they were miming to a recording that included a real orchestra. Graeme spoke the "hear the grass sing" intro, which was clearly about LSD. I'm sure that song got a lot of people tripping.

Hornbein said:
I thought "that keyboard imitating a orchestra sounds great." Little did I know they were miming to a recording that included a real orchestra.
That was probably Mike Pinder's Melletron. He had some tracks that sound like violins.

1. Who was Graeme Edge and what was his role in the Moody Blues?

Graeme Edge was the drummer and a founding member of the Moody Blues, a British rock band known for their fusion of rock and classical music. Edge was also a songwriter and contributed vocals to some of the band's songs.

2. How old was Graeme Edge when he passed away?

Graeme Edge passed away at the age of 80.

3. What were some of Graeme Edge's notable contributions to the music industry?

Graeme Edge was known for his unique drumming style and his use of poetry and spoken word in the Moody Blues' music. He also wrote the lyrics for many of the band's songs, including their hit "Nights in White Satin."

4. When did Graeme Edge join the Moody Blues?

Graeme Edge joined the Moody Blues in 1964, when the band was still known as the Denny Laine and the Diplomats. He remained a member of the band until his passing in 2021.

5. How did Graeme Edge's death impact the music industry?

Graeme Edge's death was a loss for the music industry, particularly for fans of the Moody Blues. His unique contributions to the band and his influence on the rock and classical fusion genre will always be remembered and celebrated.

Back