RIP Jeff Beck (78), virtuoso rock guitarist

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip Rock
In summary, Jeff Beck, the British guitar virtuoso who rose to prominence in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds and later embarked on an acclaimed and prolific solo career, died Jan. 10. He was 78.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Jeff Beck, the British guitar virtuoso who rose to prominence in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds and later embarked on an acclaimed and prolific solo career, died Jan. 10. He was 78.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...irtuoso-rock-guitarist-dies-at-78/ar-AA16eqam

Beck performed lead guitar with the Yardbirds (1965-1966). The other two were Eric Clapton (1963–1965, later of Cream) and Jimmy Page (1966–1968, later of Led Zeppelin).

Beck had a great solo career. My favorite album is Blow by Blow (1975), with the tune "Cause we've ended as lovers". Wired (1976) is also a decent album.https://apnews.com/article/jeff-beck-dies-6fafc82a3f8fe8e27d6f6e39a215e28d

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes BWV, OmCheeto, DrClaude and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Blow by Blow is unbelievable, although I have a soft spot for his Yardbirds stuff. I saw him in ’89 or ‘90 with Stevie Ray Vaughn. I have never scene such thorough mastery of an instrument.

Likes BWV, PhDeezNutz and berkeman
Here’s a performance from 2010 of his that I like.

• Love
Likes DrClaude, Astronuc, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
:frown::frown:

Likes PhDeezNutz
Frabjous said:
Here’s a performance from 2010 of his that I like.
Wow, beautiful. Turn up the volume! :smile:

Likes dlgoff and PhDeezNutz
I always overlooked this guy because he was always next to Jeff Buckley in used book/cd/vinyl store. Watching these videos makes me really wish I hadn’t. This stuff contends with Jeff Buckley…..not an easy thing for me to say at all considering I’m a Buckley fanatic.

Excuse me for derailing the thread. I’m floored. I haven’t felt this taken back from music in a while.

This music is from another world. In a good way.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
A little piece of my world is gone. This will continue, piece by piece, until one day it all goes away.

• Sad
Likes dlgoff, Wrichik Basu and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
A little piece of my world is gone. This will continue, piece by piece, until one day it all goes away.
Many of my hero's are already gone.
John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Bowie, Buddy Rich.

Paul McCartney will be a big one for me also the Stones, Robert Plant, Focus, Yes and Deep Purple. All in their 70s.

• Love
Likes dlgoff and Astronuc
Astronuc said:
Jeff Beck, the British guitar virtuoso who rose to prominence in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds and later embarked on an acclaimed and prolific solo career, died Jan. 10. He was 78.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...irtuoso-rock-guitarist-dies-at-78/ar-AA16eqam

Beck performed lead guitar with the Yardbirds (1965-1966). The other two were Eric Clapton (1963–1965, later of Cream) and Jimmy Page (1966–1968, later of Led Zeppelin).

Beck had a great solo career. My favorite album is Blow by Blow (1975), with the tune "Cause we've ended as lovers". Wired (1976) is also a decent album.https://apnews.com/article/jeff-beck-dies-6fafc82a3f8fe8e27d6f6e39a215e28d
My first real exposure to Beck was the album Truth. It also included some vocalist whose voice was so rough I couldn't understand how he got a recording contract.

RIP

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
pinball1970 said:
Stones, Robert Plant, Focus, Yes and Deep Purple
I liked the Beatles in the 60s, but I grew into the other bands like Traffic, Cream, Rolling Stones (pre-1972), King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Robin Trower, Yes, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) - mostly bands of the 60s and 70s.

• Love
Likes diogenesNY, OmCheeto, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
I liked the Beatles in the 60s, but I grew into the other bands like Traffic, Cream, Rolling Stones (pre-1972), King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Robin Trower, Yes, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) - mostly bands of the 60s and 70s.
I think our albums would correlate, plenty of gatefold!

Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
I dig your list. You ever listen to _The Nice_? Arthur Brown? Mike Oldfield?

Last edited:
diogenesNY said:
The Nice_? Arthur Brown? Mike Oldfield?
Yeah, I would add those too, and Free, 10cc, Humble Pie and Black Sabbath.

Oldfield's Tubular Bells is outstanding.

Likes berkeman, diogenesNY, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
Oldfield's Tubular Bells is outstanding.
I'd have to do some looking, but somewhere I have that on an 8 track tape.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
I do listen to Jeff Beck sometimes, but I would not call him a virtuoso because his technical skills on the instrument is (well was) not that great, which is what virtuoso means. That said, he was quite innovative and had great feeling.

Fav albums is "who else" (the first I heard) and "guitar shop" (was recommended to me, and I still like it a lot)

Last edited:
Likes Mondayman and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
I'd have to do some looking, but somewhere I have that on an 8 track tape.
@berkeman

I just remembered that I sold that car which had the 8 track player and it had all the 8 track tapes in it. :(

1. Who was Jeff Beck?

Jeff Beck was a British rock guitarist and one of the most influential and innovative musicians in the history of rock music. He rose to fame in the 1960s as the lead guitarist for the Yardbirds and later formed his own band, the Jeff Beck Group.

2. What made Jeff Beck a virtuoso guitarist?

Jeff Beck was known for his technical proficiency, innovative playing style, and ability to blend different genres of music. He was a master of both electric and acoustic guitar, and his use of techniques such as pinch harmonics and tremolo picking set him apart from other guitarists.

3. How did Jeff Beck influence rock music?

Jeff Beck's experimental and boundary-pushing approach to guitar playing has influenced countless musicians and genres of music. He was one of the pioneers of heavy metal and helped popularize the use of distortion and feedback in rock music. His unique style also had a major impact on jazz fusion and instrumental rock.

4. What were some of Jeff Beck's notable achievements?

Jeff Beck was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice, first as a member of the Yardbirds in 1992 and then as a solo artist in 2009. He has also won multiple Grammy Awards and has been ranked as one of the greatest guitarists of all time by various publications.

5. How did Jeff Beck's passing affect the music industry?

Jeff Beck's passing was a great loss to the music industry, as he was widely respected and admired by fellow musicians and fans alike. His influence and legacy will continue to live on through his music and the artists he has inspired.