Rippled surface on lake ends abruptly

In summary, the conversation discusses observations of a clear line between calm and rippled water near the shore of Reichenau Island in Lake Constance, Germany. The wind is weak and directed from water to land, causing small surface ripples. The bottom of the lake has little effect on the waves if the water is deeper than the distance between wave crests. There is also a suggestion that the wind may be affected by a nearby tree line. The conversation concludes with an agreement that the ripples are caused by light breezes and are useful for sailors. The correlation with bottom features is seen as temporary and coincidental.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I've made these pictures on Reichenau Island in Lake Constance, Germany. I was suprized about that clear line between the calm area close to the shore and the more rippled surface further out. The wind was weak, but directed from water to land.

From a pier I could see that the ground drops abruptly by 1-2 meters just about under that line. But how could this possibly affect those small surface ripples that much?

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
The bottom has little, if any, effect on waves if the water is deeper than the distance from one wave crest to the next. The figure below is from Limnology, Third Edition, by Robert Wetzel:
upload_2018-12-2_18-23-42.png

Is there a tree line near the water's edge that blocks the wind such that the wind velocity drops at the water surface where the waves stop?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-2_18-23-42.png
    upload_2018-12-2_18-23-42.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 365
greypilgrim said:
I've made these pictures on Reichenau Island in Lake Constance, Germany. I was suprized about that clear line between the calm area close to the shore and the more rippled surface further out. The wind was weak, but directed from water to land.
Hi,
I have seen this so very often over the years. The breeze is just blowing across areas of the water. If you watch long enough,
you will see the wind affected areas moving around on the water.
As a result some of the water is in the breeze, some isn't.Dave

Agree. Those ripples are caused by light breezes touching the water surface. Sailors use these to spot and anticipate puffs.

The correlation with bottom features is surely coincidental and temporary.

Likes davenn

What causes a rippled surface on lake ends abruptly?

A rippled surface on a lake can be caused by a variety of factors, such as wind, currents, or temperature changes. However, if the rippled surface ends abruptly, it is likely due to a sudden change in the water depth or bottom topography.

Can a rippled surface on lake ends abruptly be dangerous?

In most cases, a rippled surface on a lake is not dangerous. However, if the abrupt end is caused by a sudden drop in water depth, it can be hazardous for swimmers or boaters. It's important to always be aware of your surroundings and follow safety precautions while on the water.

Is a rippled surface on lake ends abruptly a sign of pollution?

No, a rippled surface on a lake does not necessarily indicate pollution. It is a natural occurrence that can happen for various reasons, such as changes in weather or water flow. However, if you notice any unusual colors or odors, it's best to report it to the appropriate authorities.

How long does a rippled surface on lake ends abruptly last?

The duration of a rippled surface on a lake can vary depending on the cause. If it is due to wind or currents, it may only last for a short period of time. However, if it is caused by a change in water depth or bottom topography, it may be more long-lasting.

Is there any way to prevent a rippled surface on lake ends abruptly?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definite answer to this question as it depends on the specific cause of the rippled surface. However, being mindful of your actions while on the water, such as avoiding excessive boat traffic or following designated swimming areas, can help minimize disturbance to the lake's natural processes. Additionally, taking care of the lake's ecosystem through proper waste disposal and reducing pollution can also contribute to maintaining a healthy lake surface.