Risk of tritium (sight) from 1970-1990.

• B
  • Thread starter Juan1975
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tritium
In summary, the conversation was about a person who obtained a ZRAK sight, which contains a small amount of tritium, a radioactive material. The person was concerned about the potential danger of the radioactivity and asked various questions about the behavior of tritium and its effects on other materials. It was determined that as long as the container is not damaged, there is no risk of radiation exposure. The tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years, so its activity decreases over time. The person also asked about using a radiation detector, but it was explained that typical detectors would not be able to measure the low-energy electrons emitted by tritium. Overall, it was concluded that the person is safe to use the
Juan1975
Good morning everyone,

First of all I have to say that I didn't know where to ask this question, but I am sure people with knowledge in nuclear physhics is who I will trust, and not optics amateurs, at least with something potentially dangerous.

I got an optics device that has an orange stick of around 20x15mm, with the label "T 0.5Ci" with the radioactivity symbol. I have been studying and it is a ZRAK sight built around 1970-1990 in USSR/Yugoslavia, probably used in some european war. Also, I have read that the radioactive material used to be tritium.

Am I in danger by preserving this device? How dangerous is the tritium? Is it possible to be radiating us by just touching the sight or being really close to it? Does this radiation "infect" other materials (like the metal cover) and then those materials "infect" us? In case is dangerous, am I safe if I hide it in a box and cover it with some lead sheet (not hermetic) to avoid it "infects" other objects and tools in the room?
- I would preserve and use this sight just if I am not on risk. Radioactivity scares me.

Sorry for my ignorance. I have no idea about the behaviour of the tritium or radioactive materials.

Also, I give an image from some sight to show how is the metal cover and the symbol, although the image that I attach has another label. Mine is "T 0.5Ci".
440px-Zastava-M76-Warning.jpg

Regards,
Juan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tritium undergoes beta decays with a very low energy. It is easily shielded by the container. The decays can be used to produce a bit of light, often used for the hands of clocks or glowing keychain items, for example, and you can freely buy these items. As long as the container is closed, there is absolutely no radiation outside.

If the container with the radioactive label is damaged, bring it to an expert.
Juan1975 said:
Does this radiation "infect" other materials (like the metal cover) and then those materials "infect" us?
No. It is only the tritium that is radioactive. Radioactive things don't make anything else radioactive*.

Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years. If it was built in 1990, only 21% of the initial tritium is left. If it was built in 1970, only 7% are left. 0.5 Ci (=18.5 GBq, different name for the same thing) was the initial activity, it is now much lower.*there are a few exceptions, but they are only relevant inside nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
Tritium undergoes beta decays with a very low energy. It is easily shielded by the container. The decays can be used to produce a bit of light, often used for the hands of clocks or glowing keychain items, for example, and you can freely buy these items. As long as the container is closed, there is absolutely no radiation outside.

If the container with the radioactive label is damaged, bring it to an expert.No. It is only the tritium that is radioactive. Radioactive things don't make anything else radioactive*.

Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years. If it was built in 1990, only 21% of the initial tritium is left. If it was built in 1970, only 7% are left. 0.5 Ci (=18.5 GBq, different name for the same thing) was the initial activity, it is now much lower.*there are a few exceptions, but they are only relevant inside nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.

Thank you very much.

Ok, last question: just in case the shield is a little bit broken but from inner parts and I cannot see it from outside (imagine spaces in screws/nuts, or between parts of the sight). Can I afford any "cheap" solution of "radioactivity/tritium radioactivity detector" to check just really close to the sight if is any exposure? I read about some "phone apps" that through the camera (gamma rays) could detect it (I was skeptic, but you are the expert). That would be cheap for sure.

Although with your answer and I am cool, as you saw me no danger at all, it is just in case I would like to test it.

The part with the sticker is not the container containing the tritium.

Typical radiation detectors won't measure anything, for the same reason a closed container is safe: The electrons emitted by tritium are very low-energetic and easily shielded.

What is tritium and why is it a concern?

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen that emits low-energy beta particles. It can be found in small amounts in the environment, but is also produced in nuclear reactors and weapons. Exposure to tritium can increase the risk of cancer and other health issues.

What was the primary source of tritium during 1970-1990?

The primary source of tritium during this time period was nuclear weapons testing and nuclear power plants. The United States and Soviet Union conducted numerous nuclear weapons tests during the Cold War, releasing significant amounts of tritium into the atmosphere. Additionally, nuclear power plants produced and released tritium as a byproduct of their operations.

How did tritium levels change during 1970-1990?

Tritium levels in the environment increased during this time period due to the large amount of nuclear weapons testing and the operation of nuclear power plants. However, after the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty was signed in 1996, tritium levels began to decline as nuclear weapons testing decreased.

What are the health risks associated with exposure to tritium?

Exposure to tritium can increase the risk of developing cancer, particularly in the liver, bone, and lung. It can also cause genetic mutations and birth defects. The level of risk depends on the dose and duration of exposure, as well as individual factors such as age and overall health.

What measures were taken to mitigate the risk of tritium exposure during this time period?

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) set regulations and limits for the release of tritium into the environment from nuclear power plants. Additionally, the Department of Energy (DOE) implemented a program to monitor and reduce tritium levels at nuclear weapons sites. These measures helped to decrease the potential risk of tritium exposure during 1970-1990.