River crossing brain teasers

In summary, The conversation discusses the enjoyment and familiarity of solving puzzles, with a focus on river crossing puzzles. The participants share their favorite puzzles and discuss their difficulty levels. One person offers to share the solution to their favorite puzzle, but another declines, citing language barriers and frustration with the group.
protonchain
We all know and love these guys. But they seem so trivial after you solve one. Even if you've solved it ages ago, that formula is still inherent in you somehow and you can bring it up (like bike riding).

So when I saw:

A man transports a fox, a duck and corn in a boat.

The boat is only capable of transpoting himself and one of the other three with each crossing.

Question: How did he succeed in crossing them all without letting the fox eat the duck or the duck eat the corn?

I automatically went and searched for that file in my brain.

Take the duck across, come back, take the fox across, leave fox and take duck back, leave duck, take corn, come back, take duck, let the animals go, eat the corn, go watch TV

Post your favorite river crossing puzzle!

My favorite one still has to be the Japanese IQ test: http://freeweb.siol.net/danej/riverIQGame.swf

If you want the solution for that one ^ I will put it up right now but in spoilers

Take the cop and the thief across, return with the cop. Take the cop and a boy across, come back with the cop and the thief. Take the dad and the other boy across, come back with dad. Take mom and dad across, come back with mom. Take cop and thief across, come back with dad. Take mom and dad across, come back with mom. Take mom and daughter across, come back with cop and thief. Take cop and daughter across, come back with cop. Take cop and thief across, and you've solved the puzzle! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: if you want more replies try and avoiding posting the spoilers with the questions.

the japanese river crossing isn't really that hard. you only have limited choices, and you should be able to figure out pretty quickly where each choice would lead to.

The japanese river crossing is hard because I can't read japanese and have no idea why these people are punching each other. They can figure it out themselves, I'm sick of working with this group

1. How do river crossing brain teasers work?

River crossing brain teasers are puzzles that involve a group of people or objects trying to cross a river, while following specific rules and limitations. The goal is to find the most efficient way to get everyone or everything to the other side of the river.

2. What are some common strategies for solving river crossing brain teasers?

Some common strategies for solving river crossing brain teasers include using a process of elimination, identifying the most important or difficult elements to cross, and visualizing the problem to come up with a solution.

3. How can river crossing brain teasers help improve problem-solving skills?

River crossing brain teasers require logical thinking, critical reasoning, and creative problem-solving skills in order to find the most efficient solution. Practicing these types of puzzles can help improve these skills and apply them to real-life situations.

4. Are there any real-life applications for river crossing brain teasers?

While river crossing brain teasers may seem like purely mental exercises, they can also be applied to real-life scenarios such as logistics and transportation planning. These puzzles also help develop skills such as teamwork and communication.

5. Are there different variations of river crossing brain teasers?

Yes, there are various versions of river crossing brain teasers, including ones with different numbers of people or objects, varying rules and limitations, and different types of crossings (e.g. boat, bridge, etc.). Some may also involve additional obstacles or challenges, making them more complex and difficult to solve.