RLC Circuit (lab session doubt)

In summary, the objective of the lab session was to find the self inductance (L) of a solenoid by using a function generator to excite a solenoid with a high self-inductance coefficient. The period of the resulting oscillations was measured and used in the formula T=sqrt(L*C) to calculate the self-inductance. The question of why a high self-inductance solenoid was used instead of connecting the function generator directly to the problem solenoid was raised, with the hint that the internal resistance of the generator is 50 ohm. The answer may be related to impedance and voltage division.
Phyba

Homework Statement

I have to answer a few questions about a lab session I did (university) and I'm really stuck with this one.
The objective of the lab session was to find the self inductance (L) of a solenoid.

In order to do that, I had a function generator exciting a solenoid with a high self-inductance coefficient. (see image)
sk.png

This one, at the same time, by magnetic coupling with the solenoid whose L we want to obtain, excites the RLC circuit, causing a transient response in the form of oscillatory damped tensions. We measured the period of those oscillations and with this formula
T=sqrt(L*C)

we can easily get the self-inductance L. No problem with that... Now, the question I'm having trouble with is the following
"Why do we use the high self-inductance solenoid instead of just connecting the function generator directly with the problem solenoid? Hint: Keep in mind that the internal resistance of the generator is 50 ohm "

I don't know why! :(

Homework Equations

T=sqrt(L*C)

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps it has something to do with limiting the current?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyba said:
Why do we use the high self-inductance solenoid instead of just connecting the function generator directly with the problem solenoid? Hint: Keep in mind that the internal resistance of the generator is 50 ohm
Do you know how to refer impedances from one side of a transformer to the other?

The internal impedance of the function generator and the impedance it sees from its terminals forms a voltage divider. If the two coils are tightly coupled and you have ##L \ll L_\mathrm{exc}##, then your system has a nice property in terms of the voltage that appears across the oscilloscope terminals.

Phyba said:
We measured the period of those oscillations and with this formula
T=sqrt(L*C)
I think you forgot a factor of 2π.

Related to RLC Circuit (lab session doubt)

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected in series or parallel and are used to create a tuned or resonant circuit that can store and transfer energy.

2. What is the purpose of a lab session for an RLC circuit?

The purpose of a lab session for an RLC circuit is to provide a hands-on experience for students to understand the behavior and characteristics of these circuits. In the lab, students can build and analyze different types of RLC circuits to observe their responses to different input signals, such as voltage or current. This helps students to deepen their understanding of the concepts and principles of RLC circuits.

3. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula gives the frequency at which the circuit will resonate or vibrate at its maximum amplitude.

4. What factors affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The behavior of an RLC circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the components (R, L, and C), the frequency of the input signal, and the type of circuit (series or parallel). Additionally, the quality factor (Q) of the circuit, which is a measure of how well the circuit can oscillate at its resonant frequency, also affects the behavior.

5. How do you measure the quality factor (Q) of an RLC circuit?

The quality factor (Q) of an RLC circuit can be measured by using a signal generator to input a sinusoidal signal of known frequency into the circuit. The amplitude and frequency of the output signal are then measured using an oscilloscope. The Q-factor can be calculated using the formula Q = f0 / Δf, where f0 is the resonant frequency and Δf is the width of the resonance curve at half the maximum amplitude.