RMS value secondary voltage electronic halogen transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an analog voltmeter to measure the secondary voltage of an electronic halogen transformer. The transformer produces a high frequency square wave with a 100 Hz envelope, making it difficult for digital multimeters to accurately measure. The RMS voltage of the transformer is 11.5V and the peak of the envelope is 19V, which results in a different Peak to RMS ratio than a regular sine wave. The person has tried using three different analog meters, but all show a reading of 10V. This is due to the meter's use of a scaling factor from average to RMS, which is incorrect for this type of wave. To get an accurate reading, a square law rectifier must be
Merlion
I am trying to derive a scaling factor for an analog voltmeter for the purpose of measuring the secondary voltage of an electronic halogen transformer (EHT).

http://www.ledbenchmark.com/faq/Transformers-Output-and-Compatibility.html

The output voltage of these things is a "high frequency" square wave (30-100kHz) with a 100 Hz (2x line frequency) envelope (see above link). Digital multimeters often have problems measuring this unless you opt for high bandwidth, True-RMS models with a considerable price tag, so why not try an analog meter.

The RMS-voltage specs of the DUT (Osram HTM70) is 11.5V. Peak of the envelope lies at 19V (checked this with an oscilloscope) which equates theoretically to a 0.605 Peak to RMS ratio, different from the 0,707 for a regular sine wave. Maybe my reasoning is flawed but I believe this can be explained by the gaps between the envelopes. The oscillator inside the transformer needs a minimum voltage to run.

Tried 3 different analog AC-volt/multimeters, including 2 wide-band audio VOMs one with a BW of 1MHz and all 3 show a 10V reading. Analog meters measure the average value and apply a scaling factor of Pi/2sqrt(2) to adjust the reading to the RMS value of a pure sine wave. When the voltage of the EHT passes through the rectifier inside the analog multimeter the average value must be the same, since the positive and negative part are symmetrical, at least to my understanding. I therefore expected the same reading, which is apparently not the case.

Where's the flaw in my logic?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The analogue voltmeters probably respond to average voltage and use a scaling factor from average to RMS. You have already found that the scaling factor is wrong due to the wave shape.
To obtain a true reading you need a square law rectifier for the meter. This gives an output proportional to the mean square voltage and needs to be calibrated, which can be done using a sine wave.

1. What is RMS value and why is it important for electronic halogen transformers?

RMS (Root Mean Square) value is a mathematical calculation used to determine the effective value of an alternating current (AC) or voltage. For electronic halogen transformers, the RMS value of the secondary voltage is important because it represents the average voltage that is delivered to the halogen bulb. This average voltage is necessary for the bulb to produce a consistent and stable light output.

2. How does an electronic halogen transformer work?

An electronic halogen transformer works by converting the AC voltage from the main power supply into a lower voltage that is suitable for operating a halogen bulb. This is done through the use of electronic components, such as diodes and capacitors, which regulate and control the voltage output to the bulb.

3. Can an electronic halogen transformer be used with different wattage bulbs?

Yes, most electronic halogen transformers are designed to be compatible with a range of wattages. However, it is important to check the specifications of your specific transformer to ensure that it can safely handle the wattage of the bulb you are using.

4. How do I know if my electronic halogen transformer is malfunctioning?

There are a few signs that may indicate a malfunctioning electronic halogen transformer. These include flickering or dimming lights, bulbs burning out frequently, or a buzzing or humming noise coming from the transformer. If you notice any of these issues, it may be time to replace your transformer.

5. Can an electronic halogen transformer be dimmed?

Yes, many electronic halogen transformers are designed to be dimmable. However, it is important to check the specifications of your specific transformer to ensure that it is compatible with dimmer switches. It is also important to use dimmable halogen bulbs for proper function.