Road to R&D: Electrical Engineer Qualifications & Academic Career

In summary, an EE graduate with a BSEE is typically sought after by companies in the R&D field, but a MS in EE may help increase your chances of being hired. If you are interested in a career in R&D, getting an MS may be a good idea.
abdo799
I am going to graduate this year with a bachelor in electrical energy engineering, i am very passionate about designing and fixing problems, i would love to work in the R&D department of some multi-national company, but i don't know where to start. What qualifications do they usually ask for?
Will it help me if i got into the academic career first?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went straight into R&D for a large company right after graduation. It's not real common, but depending on how well you've done in school, there are entry level positions available in R&D Labs. What are your specializations so far in EE? Do you have summer work experience in your field? Do companies recruit at your University? When you look over the Employment sections of the websites for companies that you are interested in, do they all specify some amount of experience needed for their open R&D positions?

I don't think it will help you to work in an academic career for a while if your goal is to work in an EE lab. In my experience, when we interview candidates for R&D positions, we either want experienced folks with applicable prior work, or very bright new EEs out of school.

Likes AVBs2Systems
Have you considered getting an MS in EE? While we do hire BS-level engineers they are typically not in the R&D path, as they work on manufacturing issues,testing,, maintenance, and so on. As far as I know, all of the BS-level engineers in our department are over 50, which agrees with berkeman's comment.

abdo799 said:
I am going to graduate this year with a bachelor in electrical energy engineering, i am very passionate about designing and fixing problems, i would love to work in the R&D department of some multi-national company, but i don't know where to start. What qualifications do they usually ask for?
Will it help me if i got into the academic career first?
<<Emphasis added.>> What do you mean by "an academic career" with a BSEE? Working as a lab tech in a university lab? Or do you mean going to grad school for a MS or PhD?

Likes berkeman
I finished my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering and went straight into research and development. I first worked in a mid-size company for several months doing power electronics, but some housing issues led me to work at a large-company near my family, and I've been there for about a year now working on high frequency electronics. I had several years of internship, undergraduate teaching or research experience at various places including a position while doing study abroad for nearly a year.

My typical coworker has a strong understanding of fundamentals and are either very specialized for critical-need, extremely broad "jack of all trades", or a combination of both.

I wouldn't rule out small or mid-size companies. I deeply miss and regret leaving the first company, but I felt like my hands were tied outside of work. I hope to return one day when my circumstances allow it.

Likes Andy Resnick and berkeman
@Joshy @berkeman well...the thing is..i live from egypt xD
A little about my country, we have ZERO R&D labs here, so no , unfortunately i don't have any work experience , i am planning to pursue this career abroad, probably europe since i already speak fluent english and french.

I do have a 3.92/4.0 GPA in one of the best engineering schools in the MENA region and i am second of my class, my specialization is energy and renewable energy engineering, we basically take 60% electrical power courses and 40% mechanical power courses, and my graduation project is novel technique for Maximum power point tracking in PV and fuel cells and i am planning to publish a paper before graduating.

The fact that i am trying to pursue a career and look for a job in another country makes me feel kinda lost, and since there is no R&D here, i can't find anyone to guide me and teach me where and how to apply. I don't mind working in a small or a medium size company as long as i am learning and gaining experience.
Will age make any difference? if i am applying for a job when i am 30 but i have a few years of experience in non-R&D and a masters degree , will i have a good chance ?

@analogdesign yes of course i am planning to get a MS, i don't think i would have a chance without it.
@CrysPhys i mean by academic career like teaching assistant then a teacher then an assistant professor then a professor

Thanks every one and sorry for the late reply.. i just finished my finals for this semester:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
abdo799 said:
@Joshy @berkeman well...the thing is..i live from egypt xD
Well, that little tidbit of information would have been extremely useful to know up front. With respect to the US, it's highly unlikely that any company would sponsor you for the appropriate work visa, given that you are a fresh BS EE. If you are interested in ultimately pursuing an R&D career in the US, the most viable option would be for you to first apply for a PhD program at a US university. [Note: In the US, you typically do not need an MS first to apply for a PhD program]. If a university really wants you, they will handle the student visa issues, and provide full financial support (teaching assistantship, research assistantship, fellowship, scholarship, or some combination). Upon completion of your PhD, you can apply for an industry R&D job under an OPT (Optional Practical Training) extension of your student visa for a trial period. If all works out, your employer then will sponsor you for an H1-B work visa. [You can also apply for an MS program instead of a PhD program, but you might have to pay your own way for grad school.]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Do you know where you want to work? Why don't you look up a few positions and see what they're looking for.

Joshy said:
Do you know where you want to work? Why don't you look up a few positions and see what they're looking for.
Since he's planning to move out of his native country, he also needs to check carefully the immigration and visa requirements for each candidate country.

CrysPhys said:
Since he's planning to move out of his native country, he also needs to check carefully the immigration and visa requirements for each candidate country.

I'm not denying it'll add barriers.

I've seen multiple foreign nationals in the R&D positions even in aerospace (go ahead and slap ITAR on everything if you'd like), and so I know it can be done. I have no doubt there are some people who are a bit shaky with their skills or knowledge, but I see that far less even if they are native.

Joshy said:
I've seen multiple foreign nationals in the R&D positions even in aerospace (go ahead and slap ITAR on everything if you'd like), and so I know it can be done. I have no doubt there are some people who are a bit shaky with their skills or knowledge, but I see that far less even if they are native.

The largest impediment to a foreign national getting a job in the US is not ITAR work (and if you knew anything about it you wouldn't be throwing around the term so blatantly) but the availability of a valid VISA and work permit. ITAR has very little to do with any commercial work done, more likely corporate intellectual property is involved.

Joshy said:
I've seen multiple foreign nationals in the R&D positions even in aerospace (go ahead and slap ITAR on everything if you'd like), and so I know it can be done.
There are for sure many foreign nationals in R&D positions in the US. But it is far more likely for them to be hired if they are already here in the US on a student visa and finishing school. That's the point I was making.

If you want to go to Europe, I would recommend doing an MSc program at a university in a European country. At least in my country, the Netherlands, it is common to have an internship and an MSc research project at a company. This will give you some experience and at the same time a specialization. Also, as a student it will be easier to make the initial jump to Europe.

Likes Tom.G
so to sum up, it will be much easier to get a degree from the country i like first then apply to a job it , couple of questions though
1- is age a factor? i mean if i apply when i am like early 30's , will my chances be less?
2- is better to get a Msc then a PhD or should i try to go for a PhD directly?

abdo799 said:
so to sum up, it will be much easier to get a degree from the country i like first then apply to a job it , couple of questions though
1- is age a factor? i mean if i apply when i am like early 30's , will my chances be less?

early 30s is still early career in R&D. Most people get their PhD in their late 20s so no, your chances will not be less.
abdo799 said:

It will be much faster and more efficient for you if you enter a PhD program directly from your Bachelor program and pick up the MS along the way. For a point of reference, I did my PhD in 7 years (with a bit of confusion about what I was going to do in the first year). I was able to submit my qualifying exam report for my MS along the way (I did no independent MS thesis).

Likes berkeman
Is it possible as an electrical engineer to make a transition to data science? And is there R&D in this field ?

abdo799 said:
(1) If you mean completing a PhD program and then applying for a job in your early 30's, not a problem. <<Or do you mean you are already in your early 30's and applying for grad school?>>

(2) Depends on the country. Assuming you are set on a PhD, and not wavering between an MS and a PhD, then in the US, you should apply directly for a PhD program. In other countries, you may be required to complete an MS before applying for a PhD program. So you need to check the requirements.

Last edited:
CrysPhys said:
(1) If you mean completing a PhD program and then applying for a job in your early 30's, not a problem. <<Or do you mean you are already in your early 30's and applying for grad school?>>

(2) Depends on the country. Assuming you are set on a PhD, and not wavering between an MS and a PhD, then in the US, you should apply directly for a PhD program. In other countries, you may be required to complete an MS before applying for a PhD program. So you need to check the requirements.
well, in case i had to complete a Msc first, i guess maybe 29-30 and applying for a phD program.
if i had a Msc from my home country and got a PhD in, let's say the us, will have a good chance of employment or will that Msc be a disadvantage

abdo799 said:
well, in case i had to complete a Msc first, i guess maybe 29-30 and applying for a phD program.
if i had a Msc from my home country and got a PhD in, let's say the us, will have a good chance of employment or will that Msc be a disadvantage
Getting an MS in your home country, followed by a PhD in the US, will have no impact on your chances of employment in the US upon completion of the PhD. BUT, it may delay your overall progress, because the MS from your home country may not shorten your PhD program in the US (depends ...). My advice is that if you plan to get a PhD in the US, apply directly for the PhD program.

CrysPhys said:
Getting an MS in your home country, followed by a PhD in the US, will have no impact on your chances of employment in the US upon completion of the PhD. BUT, it may delay your overall progress, because the MS from your home country may not shorten your PhD program in the US (depends ...). My advice is that if you plan to get a PhD in the US, apply directly for the PhD program.
hmmm... i guess it makes more sense, i can't afford paying for Msc anyways.
I dream of getting into caltech or mit, i know it's very very hard but i am going to try anyway, to be honest, tht polar vortex got me like " if i ever go there what am i going to do, i am very cold here and it's like 5 C":oldbiggrin:

1. What education is required to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree or higher, especially for research or academic careers. In addition to formal education, hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial.

2. What skills do I need to excel as an electrical engineer?

Some key skills and qualities that are important for electrical engineers include problem-solving abilities, strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. Additionally, proficiency in math and science, as well as computer skills, are essential for this field.

3. What types of industries employ electrical engineers?

Electrical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, telecommunications, aerospace, healthcare, and more. They may also work for government agencies or in research and development positions.

4. What career opportunities are available for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineers have a range of career opportunities available to them, including roles such as design engineer, project manager, systems engineer, and research scientist. They may also advance to leadership or management positions within their company or pursue academic careers as professors or researchers.

5. What are some important qualities for a successful career in electrical engineering?

In addition to technical skills and knowledge, successful electrical engineers often possess qualities such as creativity, adaptability, and a strong work ethic. They also stay up-to-date with advancements and changes in the field, continually learning and improving their skills. Collaboration and teamwork abilities are also important, as engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams to solve complex problems.