Robocalls "Thanks to the financial stimulus, your credit cards...."

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary: Interesting. I use a separate answering machine (Not AT&T) and the robocalls invariably hang up at the beep. I never have to hear their messages.Interesting. I use a separate answering machine (Not AT&T) and the robocalls invariably hang up at the beep. I never have to hear their messages.
bob012345
Gold Member
I keep getting this robocall that begins with Thanks to the financial stimulus, your credits card companies have lowered your rates...Just out of curiosity I hit the '1' key and asked the operator to not call again at which they promptly hung up without a word. At another opportunity when they called, I tried again (this time hitting the wrong key on purpose to respond and still got the operator, so any key works. I asked who was calling me and got the same response.

Has anyone received the same call? I gotten that call multiple times every day for weeks now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I avoid such calls, i.e. let them ring. If not, I choose a form of hello which they cannot record and abuse as an agreement on whatever they want to sell. This means: No yes, yep, yeah, ok, name or whatever. My solution is that I use "shalom", which also works for all who incidentally called me.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, sysprog, Astronuc and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
I avoid such calls, i.e. let them ring. If not, I choose a form of hello which they cannot record and abuse as an agreement on whatever they want to sell. This means: No yes, yep, yeah, ok, name or whatever. My solution is that I use "shalom", which also works for all who incidentally called me.
I do the same. I was just curious and thought maybe I can waste their resources like answering but being real slow and evasive but its better to just ignore them.

I thought of letting them answer and then blasting a loud air horn in the phone. Is that legal? :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes DennisN and gmax137
bob012345 said:
At another opportunity when they called

What makes you think there is a single "they"? Despite the name "organized crime", criminals are usually not so organized.

Likes bob012345
Vanadium 50 said:
What makes you think there is a single "they"? Despite the name "organized crime", criminals are usually not so organized.
It was the same exact robocall. But yes, it could be used by hundreds of different scammers.

I have heard (yeah nice reference...I know) that people who actually respond to such calls meaning actually push button 1 receive a higher "gullible idiot" rating and are more valuable prospects for future calling. Don't answer.

Likes bob012345
I turn the ringer and answering machine off when I really don't want to be bothered like at morning coffee time.

bob012345 said:
I thought of letting them answer and then blasting a loud air horn in the phone. Is that legal?
Only if right after the blast, you say, "What the heck was that?? Did you hear that??" Then blast it again.

Likes bob012345
IIRC, if you press a button you can be connected to a "service" and billed $$ per minute.

Likes bob012345
I have not received that particular robocall recently but did receive them a few months ago. I receive 2-3 calls per day, every day, to renew a vehicle warranty; presumably for my old reliable pickup truck.

My coping mechanism involves an old AT&T digital answering machine, ringer off, on my single remaining landline that answers with a creaky robotic synthesized 'voice', "Puh-leeze leave-a mess-age at da zound of da tone ... (wait for it) ...BEEEP!".

Likes bob012345
Klystron said:
I have not received that particular robocall recently but did receive them a few months ago. I receive 2-3 calls per day, every day, to renew a vehicle warranty; presumably for my old reliable pickup truck.

My coping mechanism involves an old AT&T digital answering machine, ringer off, on my single remaining landline that answers with a creaky robotic synthesized 'voice', "Puh-leeze leave-a mess-age at da zound of da tone ... (wait for it) ...BEEEP!".
Most of mine go on the old answering machine too. At least their system is wasting time leaving the whole message every time. That must limit their total calls per day.

Interesting. I use a separate answering machine (Not AT&T) and the robocalls invariably hang up at the beep. I never have to hear their messages.

marcusl said:
Interesting. I use a separate answering machine (Not AT&T) and the robocalls invariably hang up at the beep. I never have to hear their messages.
I assume by a separate answering machine you mean a device where the phone is not integrated into the machine. Mine is a combo device for a wireless phone.

Last edited:
I meant that I don’t use AT&T’s central-office voicemail. I have a combination landline phone and answering machine, probably similar to yours.

Likes bob012345
Klystron said:
I receive 2-3 calls per day, every day, to renew a vehicle warranty
On another forum, people have been posting that they answer these calls, sounding very interested in the insurance. They drag it out as long as possible before revealing their vehicle is a 1992 Corolla or similar. That's when the caller hangs up on them.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Klystron and Astronuc
gmax137 said:
On another forum, people have been posting that they answer these calls, sounding very interested in the insurance. They drag it out as long as possible before revealing their vehicle is a 1992 Corolla or similar. That's when the caller hangs up on them.
What really galls me is that they are so rude. I mean, if they want to steal my money they should at least be nice about it! :wink:

fresh_42 said:
Those calls usually show a spoofed number so blocking doesn't help. Love the phone companies for letting people do that. There was a thing where 567 and some other area codes (and international country codes) are actually charge back "900" calls even though they called you.

bob012345 said:
I keep getting this robocall that begins with Thanks to the financial stimulus, your credits card companies have lowered your rates...Just out of curiosity I hit the '1' key and asked the operator to not call again at which they promptly hung up without a word. At another opportunity when they called, I tried again (this time hitting the wrong key on purpose to respond and still got the operator, so any key works. I asked who was calling me and got the same response.

Has anyone received the same call? I gotten that call multiple times every day for weeks now. Thanks.
For fun, press one and when the phone answers say "Please hold" then press mute and see how long they wait.

gmax137 said:

There are also very creative and funny technological countermeasures to telemarketing:

There is a Swedish youtube channel with funny dialogues between telemarketers and a preprogrammed Raspberry Pi minicomputer with a GSM dongle. The computer is called "RobotRalf".

And here's a funny similar example on another channel in English :biggrin::

Hilariously frustrated telemarketer tries to tell Lenny he IS in fact qualified for the program

Last edited:
Likes strangerep

1. What are robocalls and why do I keep receiving them?

Robocalls are automated phone calls that are made using computerized systems. They are often used for telemarketing or political campaigns. You may keep receiving them because your phone number may have been sold to telemarketers or you may have unknowingly given consent to receive these calls.

2. How do I stop receiving robocalls?

One way to stop receiving robocalls is by adding your phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry. You can also download call-blocking apps or contact your phone provider to see if they offer any blocking services.

3. Are robocalls legal?

In most cases, robocalls are legal as long as they are not made for fraudulent or illegal purposes. However, they are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and must comply with certain rules, such as providing an opt-out option.

4. How can robocalls affect my credit cards?

Robocalls can affect your credit cards if they are made by scammers trying to obtain your personal and financial information. They may ask for your credit card number, expiration date, and security code, which can be used for fraudulent activities. It is important to never give out this information over the phone.

5. What should I do if I receive a suspicious robocall about my credit cards?

If you receive a robocall that seems suspicious, hang up immediately and do not provide any personal information. You can report the call to the FTC or your phone provider. It is also a good idea to regularly monitor your credit card statements for any unauthorized charges.