Robot navigation using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders

In summary: It is possible that to meet your requirements that you need a GPS with more than consumer/hobbyist quality. A better (and more expensive) GPS or adding DGPS may be needed. (google DGPS to understand what that means)
Diamond Dave
Ok, the reason for my absence is I have been working on a project of building a multitasking Robot. Since the connection of Robots to Physics never entered my mind I assumed I have nothing of value to add to any discussion on the PhysicsForums. If anyone is interested in the problem that I am faced with. I'm searching for a software program that will allow me to create a path of travel using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders that uses a fixed X 0.0 Y 0.0 location on a grid. Would like to hear from anyone who is interested in this kind of project.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really something I'm interested in but...

Diamond Dave said:
I'm searching for a software program that will allow me to create a path of travel using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders that uses a fixed X 0.0 Y 0.0 location on a grid.

That sounds like a very specific task. Why do you need ultrasonic range finders if you have GPS coordinates to follow?

The ultrasonic range finders are (Kinda-Sorta but not really like) eyes for the robot to see. Just in case some silly little wabbit hops into the path of this 300 Lbs. Robot while it is on a mission. It will stop or avoid the object ... can't overlook being O.S.H.A. approved.

Diamond Dave said:
Ok, the reason for my absence is I have been working on a project of building a multitasking Robot. Since the connection of Robots to Physics never entered my mind I assumed I have nothing of value to add to any discussion on the PhysicsForums. If anyone is interested in the problem that I am faced with. I'm searching for a software program that will allow me to create a path of travel using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders that uses a fixed X 0.0 Y 0.0 location on a grid. Would like to hear from anyone who is interested in this kind of project.

You omit key parameters from your question.

What accuracy do you need, 1 mm? 100 m?

Are there DGPS transmitters to assist?

Do you assume that GPS reception is good every place and every time the robot operates?

2D or 3D motion?

How fast does the robot move?

What accuracy do you need, 1 mm? 100 m?.... Plus or minus one inch
Are there DGPS transmitters to assist? ...... major city heavily populated
2D or 3D motion? .......... 2D just a simple "X" or "Y" move
How fast does the robot move?........ Walking, Fast Walking or jogging

OK, we're getting closer. I am trying to help you understand that wise engineers always start by nailing down requirements before startting design. In other words, find out what you must do to achieve success, before beginning to ask how to do it. If your robot moves forward one inch and stops, that probably is not enough to satisfy your professor. But navigating from Seattle to New York by robot probably exceeds your requirements. Keep asking what questions until you can't think of any more. Only then should you begin design and ask how will I do this?

I just pulled out my Android phone and started the free app "GPS Status" . It shows lat/lon coordinates. It also showed a 46 foot GPS error inside this building. The error may change significantly as I move closer to external walls or windows. It will also change hour by hour as more or fewer GPS satellites come into view. But I think you need relative GPS accuracy, not absolute. With such an app you could do a little feasibility study before making design choices. For example, walk through some samples of the course the robot will be required to go while holding your phone and record the GPS coordinates. Can you find the way point reliably to within one inch? That app allows you to set the way point (your destination target coordinates) and calculates the distance and direction to the way point, which is exactly what your robot must do. You may want to consider a smart phone as the onboard GPS sensor for your project.

It is possible that to meet your requirements that you need a GPS with more than consumer/hobbyist quality. A better (and more expensive) GPS or adding DGPS may be needed. (google DGPS to understand what that means) That is an example of the kind of thing you need to know before design. If difficult requirements cause you to exceed your budget, perhaps you can negotiate the requirements with the professor.

I presume that you will use a platform such as Arundino or Rasberry Pi as the platform for your robot's smarts. Google "Arundino GPS navigation" or "Rasberry Pi GPS navigation" and you may find what others have done in similar projects in terms of hardware and software.

Good luck. You can learn a lot from such a project.

Actually the platform or donner that I am using is a Jazzy Mobility chair with dual motor differential. Using a Sabertooth 2 X 60 regenerative dual motor driver also known as 2 X 60 H-Bridge ( www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sabertooth2x60 ). I have an Android version 5.1 phone, have not done enough research on navigation Apps . Wayz , or Verizon navigation App might have a problem with downsizing to a smaller navigation window. I have also been looking for a basic machining program the grid size I want to work in is 200' X 200' something like you would see in a CNC machine , (G code) with radius offset adjustment,

By platform, I meant the computing platform for the intelligence. Searching the forums for Arduino and Rasberry Pi is likely to turn up existing projects very close to yours..

By GPS navigation, I meant things more like your robot application than cross-country stuff like Waze. Hikers and joggers use GPS to track and to find their way to a point. Hobbyists have no doubt built lots of hobby projects to navigate a robot around a room.

The quality of the answers you get here on PF are in proportion to the details you share about what you are trying to accomplish.

If you compare your project with machining, then I suspect your accuracy requirements are high. You should definitely look into DGPS. For example, NASA used DGPS on an airplane in flight to measure fluttering of the wing tips.

I used the example of machining only because that is what I do develop cutter paths for C.N.C. machines. Way-Point software would be closer to what I am thinking
would work it is designed to work with drones. Draw a trapezoid shape that I create on a tablet or inside the program and from that shape do ( + or - ) radius offsets from the trapezoid shape and translate it to the microprocessor or Android app to make the moves smooth and fluid.

This seems an interesting project best of luck!

Diamond Dave said:
The ultrasonic range finders are (Kinda-Sorta but not really like) eyes for the robot to see. Just in case some silly little wabbit hops into the path of this 300 Lbs. Robot while it is on a mission. It will stop or avoid the object ... can't overlook being O.S.H.A. approved.
I'm not sure I understand how you want to use the ultrasonic devices, have you looked at any specific devices? Ultrasonics are good at telling you how far away an object is, in a static environment with a constant surface, change the material type, size and angle and things get a little fuzzy. Are you thinking typical ultrasonics you would find on your car bumper? I assume you are not serious about the O.S.H.A approval.

1. How does robot navigation using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders work?

Robot navigation using GPS coordinates with two ultrasonic range finders involves the use of a GPS receiver to determine the robot's current location and the use of two ultrasonic range finders to detect obstacles in its path. The GPS coordinates are used to create a map of the robot's environment, and the ultrasonic range finders are used to detect any obstacles in its path. By combining this information, the robot can navigate to a specific location while avoiding any obstacles.

2. What are the advantages of using GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders for robot navigation?

The use of GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders for robot navigation allows for precise and accurate navigation, even in complex environments. It also eliminates the need for external markers or beacons, making it more cost-effective and efficient. Additionally, these technologies allow for real-time updates and adjustments to the robot's path, ensuring safe and efficient navigation.

3. Can robot navigation using GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders work in all environments?

Robot navigation using GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders can work in most environments, but there may be limitations in certain situations. For example, GPS signals may be disrupted in indoor environments or areas with tall buildings or dense foliage. Ultrasonic range finders may also have limitations in detecting transparent or highly reflective surfaces. It is important to consider these factors when implementing this type of navigation system.

4. What challenges may arise when using GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders for robot navigation?

One potential challenge is the accuracy of the GPS coordinates, which can be affected by factors such as signal interference or changes in the environment. This can result in errors in the robot's navigation. Additionally, ultrasonic range finders may have limitations in detecting certain types of obstacles or in certain lighting conditions. Regular maintenance and calibration of these technologies can help mitigate these challenges.

5. Are there any alternative technologies for robot navigation besides GPS coordinates and ultrasonic range finders?

Yes, there are alternative technologies for robot navigation, such as lidar, radar, and computer vision. Each of these technologies has its own advantages and limitations, and the most suitable option will depend on the specific application and environment. Some systems may also combine multiple technologies for more robust and accurate navigation. It is important to consider the specific needs and limitations of each technology when choosing the best option for a particular robot navigation system.