Trying to get raw signal from SRF02 ultrasonic sensor

In summary, the person is working on a project involving indoor mapping and has received 10 SRF02 ultrasonic range finders to measure distances using sound waves. However, they are looking to receive the "raw signal" from the sensor to obtain information such as frequency shift and modulation. The SRF02 does not provide this data, so the person is seeking advice on how to get the "raw signal" data or if they need to use a different transducer and sensor. They are also considering the potential issues of frequency shifts and multi-path in their experiments.
nst.john
Hello Physics Forum people!

I am working on a project involving indoor mapping, and I have just received 10 SRF02 ultrasonic range finders to hook up in an array to measure distances using sound waves and use this data to map out buildings. However, we are looking to receive the "raw signal: from the sensor, which would give us information such as: frequency shift, modulation, and all physical characteristics of the received wave. The SRF02 does not directly give us this though, but instead does the processing for us, and can return distance or time based off of the received waveform. I wanted to ask if anyone knew any way or had any ideas of what to try or who to contact on how to get the "raw signal" data from these sensors, or am I going on a wild goose chase that will never see results. Thanks in advance for all the help! I'm attaching the data sheet for any reference:

Datasheet: http://www.pishrobot.com/files/products/datasheets/srf02.pdf

Engineering news on Phys.org
nst.john said:
Hello Physics Forum people!

I am working on a project involving indoor mapping, and I have just received 10 SRF02 ultrasonic range finders to hook up in an array to measure distances using sound waves and use this data to map out buildings. However, we are looking to receive the "raw signal: from the sensor, which would give us information such as: frequency shift, modulation, and all physical characteristics of the received wave. The SRF02 does not directly give us this though, but instead does the processing for us, and can return distance or time based off of the received waveform. I wanted to ask if anyone knew any way or had any ideas of what to try or who to contact on how to get the "raw signal" data from these sensors, or am I going on a wild goose chase that will never see results. Thanks in advance for all the help! I'm attaching the data sheet for any reference:

Datasheet: http://www.pishrobot.com/files/products/datasheets/srf02.pdf
Given your project requirements, it sounds like you need to use a different transducer and sensor, and build your own TX and RX circuits. Have you looked for just the TX and RX transducers by themselves, and looked at their Application Notes for how best to interface to them?

Also, unless something is moving, you won't be getting frequency shifts, correct? And how are you planning on handling multi-path in your experiments? :smile:

1. How do I connect the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor to my circuit?

To connect the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor, you will need to use a 5V power supply and connect the Vcc pin to the positive terminal, GND pin to the negative terminal, and the SCL and SDA pins to the I2C bus on your microcontroller.

2. How do I set up the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor to measure distance?

To measure distance using the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor, you will need to send a trigger signal to the sensor by setting the trigger pin to high for at least 10 microseconds. Then, the sensor will send out an ultrasonic pulse and measure the time it takes for the pulse to bounce back. This time can be converted to distance using a simple calculation.

3. Can I use the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor in both indoor and outdoor settings?

Yes, the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor can be used in both indoor and outdoor settings. However, it is important to note that the sensor is not waterproof, so it should be protected from rain or other sources of moisture if used outdoors.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor?

To improve the accuracy of the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor, you can use a longer trigger pulse, which will result in a more sensitive measurement. You can also use multiple readings and take the average to reduce the effects of noise on the measurement.

5. Can I use the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor to detect objects other than distance?

No, the SRF02 ultrasonic sensor is specifically designed to measure distances and is not suitable for detecting objects or obstacles. It is important to use the sensor for its intended purpose to ensure accurate measurements.