Rocket Launch: Achieving Escape Velocity w/ Fuel-Mass Ratio of 300

Also ignoring that his velocity would be quite large at the end.In summary, this conversation discusses the physics of rockets and their propulsion via exhaust gases. It also presents a problem that requires calculating the ratio of fuel weight to rocket weight in order to reach escape velocity. The conversation includes equations and an attempted solution, but notes a discrepancy in the given velocity of the exhaust gases which may be a typographical error.
Sudo

Homework Statement

Rockets are propelled by the momentum of the exhaust gases expelled from the tail. Since these gases arise from the reaction of the fuels carried in the rocket, the mass of the rocket is not constant, but decreases as the fuel is expended. Show that for a Rocket starting initially from rest, and taking the velocity of the exhaust gases relative to the rocket, ##v'## = 2.1 m/s and a rate of mass loss per second L = 1/60 of the initial mass, to reach the escape velocity of the Earth (##v_e## = 11.2 km/s), the ratio of the weight of the fuel to the weight of the rocket must be almost 300!

Homework Equations

I know that ##F=m(\frac {dp} {dt})=ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I work in the frame of the rocket; so we have two forces, the weight ##W=mg## and the force of the exhaust exiting the rocket ##\frac {dm} {dt}v'##. Both forces are pointing downward, thus I set up the following equation: $$ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg$$ Now I rewrite ##m\frac {dv} {dt}## as ##m\frac {dv} {dm}\frac {dm} {dt}##; now I have this expression:$$m\frac {dv} {dm}\frac {dm} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg$$As ##\frac {dm} {dt}=L=-\frac {m_0} {60}## and dividing both sides by ##m## we have:$$\frac {dv} {dm}(-\frac {m_0} {60})=-\frac {v'} {m}(-\frac {m_0} {60})-g$$Dividing both sides by ##L## yields:$$\frac {dv} {dm}=-\frac {v'} {m}+\frac {60g} {m_0}$$Now we're ready to write our differential equation as follows:$$dv=-\frac {v'} {m}~dm+\frac {60g} {m_0}~dm$$We can now integrate, this knowing that we start from ##v_0=0## and from a certain initial mass given by ##m_0=m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}## and a final mass ##m_f=m_{rocket}##$$\int_0^v dv=-v'\int_{m_0}^{m_f} \frac {1} {m} \ dm+\frac {60g} {m_0}\int_{m_0}^{m_f} dm$$After integrating and evaluating I get the following expression:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_f} {m_0})+\frac {60g} {m_0}(m_f-m_0)$$This can be rewritten as:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_{rocket}} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}})-\frac {60g} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}}(m_{fuel})$$Then, if ##m_{fuel}>>m_{rocket}## we can ignore the term ##m_{rocket}## in ##\frac {1} {m_{rocket}+m_{fuel}}##, and the expression can be rewritten as:$$v=-v'ln(\frac {m_{rocket}} {m_{fuel}})-60g=v'ln(\frac {m_{fuel}} {m_{rocket}})-60g$$Solving for the desired ratio I get:$$\frac {m_{fuel}} {m_{rocket}}=e^{\frac {v+60g} {v'}}$$However when plugging in the equation the values ##v'=2.1 m/s##, ##v=11.2 km/s##, and ##g## the value is much, much bigger than 300.

What did I did wrong? Did I chooses the incorrect frame? To my understanding my equation ##ma=m\frac {dv} {dt}=-v'(\frac {dm} {dt})-mg## should be true for this frame, thus ##v'## indeed is 2.1 m/s

Thank you for your time! As always I appreciate detailed answers, thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
The value given for ##v'## looks too small. Could it actually be 2.1 km/s?

You stated that both the thrust force and the gravitational force act downward. But the rocket goes upward.
However, I think your equations are correct.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The value given for ##v'## looks too small. Could it actually be 2.1 km/s?

You stated that both the thrust force and the gravitational force act downward. But the rocket goes upward.
However, I think your equations are correct.
I'm not completely sure, the problem states m/s.

Do you think that, even when considering that ##v'## is relative to the rocket (i.e., measured by someone in the rocket, not an observer on ground), 2.1 m/s would still, anyway, be too small?

Thanks for the reply!

Sudo said:
I'm not completely sure, the problem states m/s.

Do you think that, even when considering that ##v'## is relative to the rocket (i.e., measured by someone in the rocket, not an observer on ground), 2.1 m/s would still, anyway, be too small?
Too small by exactly a factor of 1000. An exhaust velocity so laughably low and a coincidence so striking that it is quite obviously an error in the problem statement.

An arthritic cripple could throw bowling balls out the back end of a rocket faster than 2.1 m/s. 300 such throws would achieve a velocity around 25 miles per hour (*) -- somewhat less than escape velocity.

(*) Assuming that the arthritic cripple starts with a pile of 300 bowling balls on his lap and has the same mass as one of the balls.

Last edited:

1. How does a rocket achieve escape velocity?

A rocket achieves escape velocity by using its engines to generate thrust and propel the rocket forward. As the rocket moves forward, it also gains altitude, which helps it overcome the Earth's gravitational pull. Once the rocket reaches a speed of approximately 11.2 kilometers per second, it has achieved escape velocity and can break free from Earth's gravity.

2. What is the fuel-mass ratio of 300 and why is it important?

The fuel-mass ratio of 300 refers to the ratio of the rocket's fuel mass to its total mass. This ratio is important because it determines how much fuel a rocket needs to carry in order to achieve escape velocity. A higher fuel-mass ratio means that a larger amount of fuel is needed, making the rocket heavier and more difficult to launch. A lower fuel-mass ratio allows for a lighter rocket, but may require more refueling stops during the journey.

3. How does the fuel-mass ratio affect the speed of a rocket?

The fuel-mass ratio directly affects the speed of a rocket. A higher fuel-mass ratio means that the rocket will need more fuel to achieve the same speed, making it slower. On the other hand, a lower fuel-mass ratio allows for a lighter rocket and therefore, a higher speed. The ideal fuel-mass ratio is one that balances the need for enough fuel to achieve escape velocity with the desire for a lighter and faster rocket.

4. Can a rocket achieve escape velocity without a fuel-mass ratio of 300?

Yes, a rocket can achieve escape velocity without a fuel-mass ratio of 300. The specific fuel-mass ratio required depends on various factors such as the rocket's design, the amount of thrust generated by its engines, and the weight of the payload. However, a fuel-mass ratio of 300 is considered a standard benchmark for achieving escape velocity and is often used as a starting point in rocket design calculations.

5. What are the challenges of achieving escape velocity with a fuel-mass ratio of 300?

There are several challenges associated with achieving escape velocity with a fuel-mass ratio of 300. First, carrying a larger amount of fuel increases the weight of the rocket, making it more difficult to launch. Second, the rocket must be designed to efficiently use the fuel to generate enough thrust to overcome the Earth's gravity. Finally, the rocket must be able to withstand the high speeds and temperatures generated during launch. These challenges require careful planning and precise engineering to achieve a successful rocket launch.