Rocket Maximum Velocity: How to Calculate and Convert Units for Accurate Results

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum velocity of a rocket using given units, including total impulse of the motor, duration of thrust, and burnout weight of the model. The equation for finding the max velocity is vmax = (total impulse of motor x g) / burnout weight of model. The student has tried multiple times to solve the problem but has not been able to get the correct answer. After further clarification and calculations, the correct answer is found to be 70 m/s.
asadpasat

Homework Statement

The whole problem is in picture, but simply it says to find the max velocity of rocket, with those given units.
The whole problem is worked out with pounds, but when I try to do it for meter and Newtons I get like 50 times bigger answer.
The units :
Total Impulse of motor: 2.5 Newtons-second or 0.5056 pound-second
Duration of thrust: 0.42s
Burnout weight of model: 25.7 grams or 0.0787 pound

Homework Equations

the equation to find max is
vmax = ( total impulse of motor x g ) / burnout weight of model

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it like ten times but I get around 600 meters per second, and I have no idea why.
I did converted the grams to kilograms as are the Newtons, and I bet that there is small thing that I overlooked so I came here. HELP
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
asadpasat said:
Burnout weight of model: 25.7 grams
Okay, that's the burnout mass --- now, what's the burnout weight?

Bystander said:
Okay, that's the burnout mass --- now, what's the burnout weight?
well, they got this by subtracting the propellant weight( 3.5g) from liftoff weight of model (39.2g)
And in the example which they did with pounds they just use those values mentioned above.

"Weight," a unit of force, not to be confused with mass as so easily occurs when working with English units.

Bystander said:
"Weight," a unit of force, not to be confused with mass as so easily occurs when working with English units.
The book is "Handbook of model rocketry" and it is into, so I don't think the author even considered it and made it simple, therefore it does not really mater as he uses those values and plugs them into the equation. My problem is that I don't get the right answer when pluging the IS units

SI mass x 9.8m/s2, at Earth's surface gives you an SI force in Newtons.

Bystander said:
SI mass x 9.8m/s2, at Earth's surface gives you an SI force in Newtons.
here is what i tried
(2.5 N per seconds)( 9.8 m/s2 that is square) / 0.0357g
and the answer I got is 686.97 meter per second,
but the right answer should be around 62 meter per second ( I know that as I converted the 206.86 feet per second(answer that was in the book) to meter per second)

asadpasat said:
0.0357g
asadpasat said:
Burnout weight of model: 25.7 grams
The 25.7 g is a mass. It has to be multiplied by g to give you a weight.

EDIT: Typo the it is supposed to be 35.7 not 25.7. Sorry for mistake.
so...
(2.5 Newtons per second x 9.8 meter/s2) / ( .0357 x 9.8)
so i get 70

Happier with the numbers now?

Bystander said:
not realy, but thx

asadpasat said:
not realy, but thx
Bystander said:
But why in the example the author did not multiplied by g too? why did he kep it same?

asadpasat said:
But why in the example the author did not multiplied by g too? why did he kep it same?
It could be a typesetting error, it could be something he thought he'd explained somewhere else in the associated text, or a proofreading error. Haven't read the book, and can't really say.

asadpasat said:
here is what i tried
(2.5 N per seconds)( 9.8 m/s2 that is square) / 0.0357g
and the answer I got is 686.97 meter per second,
but the right answer should be around 62 meter per second ( I know that as I converted the 206.86 feet per second(answer that was in the book) to meter per second)

There's a couple of things to clear up.

1 Newton = 1 kg-m/s2 = 0.22481 pounds force

so an impulse of 2.5 Newton-seconds = 2.5 * 0.22481 = 0.5620 lbs-s, not 0.5056 lbs-s as printed in the text.

The burned out mass of the rocket = 35.7 grams ( = 0.0357 kg), which is equivalent to a weight of 0.0787 lbs (there are 453.6 grams in 1 pound)

The formula for the max. velocity of the rocket is vmax = Impulse / (burned out mass), which using SI units would be
vmax = 2.5 N-s / 0.0357 kg = 70 m/s [Notice that the gravitational acceleration g is not needed here because you are using the burned out mass of the rocket]

If you are not using SI units, then the formula for vmax = Impulse / (burned out mass) = Impulse / (burned out weight / g) = (Impulse * g) / (burned out weight)

So, in imperial units, vmax = 0.5620 lbs-s * 32.2 ft/s2/0.0787 lbs = 230 feet/s = 70.1 m/s

SteamKing said:
There's a couple of things to clear up.

1 Newton = 1 kg-m/s2 = 0.22481 pounds force

so an impulse of 2.5 Newton-seconds = 2.5 * 0.22481 = 0.5620 lbs-s, not 0.5056 lbs-s as printed in the text.

The burned out mass of the rocket = 35.7 grams ( = 0.0357 kg), which is equivalent to a weight of 0.0787 lbs (there are 453.6 grams in 1 pound)

The formula for the max. velocity of the rocket is vmax = Impulse / (burned out mass), which using SI units would be
vmax = 2.5 N-s / 0.0357 kg = 70 m/s [Notice that the gravitational acceleration g is not needed here because you are using the burned out mass of the rocket]

If you are not using SI units, then the formula for vmax = Impulse / (burned out mass) = Impulse / (burned out weight / g) = (Impulse * g) / (burned out weight)

So, in imperial units, vmax = 0.5620 lbs-s * 32.2 ft/s2/0.0787 lbs = 230 feet/s = 70.1 m/s
THANK YOU!

1. What is rocket maximum velocity?

Rocket maximum velocity is the highest achievable speed that a rocket can reach during its flight. It is typically measured in kilometers per second (km/s) or miles per hour (mph).

2. How is rocket maximum velocity calculated?

Rocket maximum velocity is calculated using the rocket's thrust-to-weight ratio and its specific impulse. Thrust-to-weight ratio is the ratio of the rocket's thrust (force) to its weight (mass times gravity). Specific impulse is a measure of the rocket's efficiency in converting its fuel into thrust. The higher the thrust-to-weight ratio and specific impulse, the higher the rocket's maximum velocity will be.

3. What factors affect rocket maximum velocity?

The main factors that affect rocket maximum velocity include the rocket's thrust-to-weight ratio, specific impulse, and the amount of fuel it carries. Other factors that may play a role include the rocket's aerodynamics, atmospheric conditions, and gravitational pull.

4. What is the record for the fastest rocket maximum velocity?

The fastest rocket maximum velocity achieved to date was by NASA's New Horizons spacecraft, which reached a speed of 58,536 km/h (36,373 mph) on its journey to Pluto in 2015.

5. Can a rocket's maximum velocity be exceeded?

In theory, yes, a rocket's maximum velocity can be exceeded. However, this would require a significant increase in the rocket's thrust and/or a decrease in its weight. It would also need to be done carefully to avoid damaging the rocket or its payload.