Rocket Problem -- Solve using the Rocket Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the second rocket equation to calculate the velocity of a rocket, with an example of an incorrect answer being given and questions about the inputs used in the equation. The conversation also touches on the acceleration of the rocket and potential flaws in the initial question being asked.
mannerplay
Homework Statement
Halliday Principles of Physics 10th edition
The mass of the rocket is 50 kg, the mass of the fuel is 450 kg
the rocket's maximum v rel=2 km/s
if R=10kg/s, what velocity does the rocket moves when it consumes all its fuel?
solve when the acceleration of the rocket is 20 m/s^2
Relevant Equations
Ma=-Rv (R is the ratio which a rocket's loss of its mass and v is the relative speed of the fuel to the rocket)
I tried the second rocket equation

vf = vi + v rel * ln(Mi/Mf)

but it gives out approximately 4900 m/s for the answer
but the answer is 4160 m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are ##v_i##, ##v_\text{rel}##, ##M_i## and ##M_f##?

You claim to have put them into the equation: ##v_f=v_i + v_\text{rel} \times ln(\frac{M_i}{M_f})## but I cannot tell what inputs you used to that equation.

If I reverse-engineer the supposedly correct answer, I come up with a different problem where the mass of the fuel is only 350 kg.

I have not been able to reverse-engineer your answer to see what you did. That is why it is important to show your work.

Likes etotheipi
mannerplay said:
if R=10kg/s, what velocity does the rocket moves when it consumes all its fuel?
solve when the acceleration of the rocket is 20 m/s^2

For starters if we are using the relevant equation as written ##R = -10 ~ \rm{\frac{kg}{s}}##
OR we leave ##R## positive and note that ##v_{e/R} = -2000 \rm{ \frac{m}{s} }##. Either way we note that the acceleration of the rocket is in the direction of motion for the rocket - not against.Next, I believe either the question is flawed OR they are two separate questions.

1) What velocity does the rocket moves when it consumes all its fuel?

2) What is its velocity when the acceleration of the rocket is 20 m/s^2? ( Flawed )

EDIT: Question 2 is flawed because the acceleration of the rocket is not less than ##40~ \rm{ \frac{m}{s^2} }## over the duration of powered flight.

$$ \left. \frac{dv}{dt} \right|_o = \frac{10~\rm{\frac{kg}{s}} 2000~\rm{ \frac{m}{s}} }{ 450~\rm{ kg } + 50~\rm{kg}} = 40~ \rm{ \frac{m}{s^2} } $$

$$ \left. \frac{dv}{dt} \right|_f = \frac{10~\rm{\frac{kg}{s}} 2000~\rm{ \frac{m}{s}} }{ 50~\rm{kg}} = 400~ \rm{ \frac{m}{s^2} } $$

Obviously that last one (the final acceleration at burnout) is a touch unrealistic!

Didn't realized this thread was dated...

Last edited:
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Update -- this thread was probably doomed from the start because of the flawed OP question. A number of unhelpful replies have been deleted and the thread will remain closed now. Thanks.

Likes erobz

1. What is the Rocket Equation?

The Rocket Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a rocket in space. It takes into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of the propellant, and the velocity of the rocket to calculate the change in velocity (delta-v) that the rocket can achieve.

2. How is the Rocket Equation used?

The Rocket Equation is used to determine the amount of propellant needed for a rocket to reach a desired velocity or destination. It is also used to calculate the maximum payload a rocket can carry and the amount of fuel that will be consumed during a mission.

3. What are the variables in the Rocket Equation?

The variables in the Rocket Equation are the mass of the rocket (m), the mass of the propellant (mp), the velocity of the rocket (v), and the specific impulse (Isp) of the rocket's engine. Isp is a measure of the efficiency of the engine and is typically given in seconds.

4. How does the Rocket Equation relate to space travel?

The Rocket Equation is crucial in space travel as it allows scientists and engineers to calculate the necessary parameters for a successful rocket launch and mission. It helps determine the size and design of a rocket, the amount of fuel needed, and the potential limitations of the rocket.

5. What are the limitations of the Rocket Equation?

The Rocket Equation assumes that the rocket is traveling in a vacuum and does not take into account external factors such as air resistance. It also does not account for the changing mass of the rocket as fuel is consumed during the mission. Additionally, it does not consider the effects of gravity and other forces on the rocket's trajectory.