Rocketeer to the rescue: kinematics

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the Rocketeer must catch the student at a height of one-sixth of the tower's height in order to avoid injury, as determined by the kinematic relationship.
leprofece
A determined student is dropped from the CN Tower in Toronto, 553 in, and fall librernente. Its initial velocity is zero. Rocketeer arrives 5.00 seconds after and it fall of the tower to save him. Rocketeer is has a velocity down of magnitude vo. In order to avoid injury. Rocketeer must catch at student at a height so that it can stop and arrive at ground at zero speed. the acceleration up to succeed comes from the Rocketeer rocket. which turns right when caught the student; before. This free fall. Not to hurt students, the magnitude of the acceleration of the Rocketeer and student to go down together should be no more than 5 times g. what is the minimum height on the ground which Rocketeer must catch the student?book said the distance fallen in free fall is 5 times the distance from the ground when caught and so the distance is one sixth the toower height or 92.2 m
But it says so without no calculation
I don't have any idea of where the 1/6 comes from
Can anyone help me??'
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: physics 2

I moved this thread as it is algebra based kinematics and gave it a descriptive title.

Let's begin with the kinematic relationship:

\(\displaystyle a=\frac{v_i^2-v_f^2}{2\left(y_i-y_f \right)}\)

and apply it to the period of time the student and the Rocketeer are slowing down. We are told $a=5g,\,v_f=0,\,y_f=0$ and so what do we have?

leprofece said:
A determined student is dropped from the CN Tower in Toronto, 553 in, and fall librernente. Its initial velocity is zero. Rocketeer arrives 5.00 seconds after and it fall of the tower to save him. Rocketeer is has a velocity down of magnitude vo. In or...

Asked before http://mathhelpboards.com/advanced-applied-mathematics-16/checking-work-2-71-university-physics-warning-there-lot-5350.html, here, here and here and probably many other places.

Last edited:
Re: physics 2

MarkFL said:
I moved this thread as it is algebra based kinematics and gave it a descriptive title.

and apply it to the period of time the student and the Rocketeer are slowing down. We are told $a=5g,\,v_f=0,\,y_f=0$ and so what do we have?

5g = 0-vf2/2(0-553)
5(10)(1106)= vf2
sqrt(55300) = vf

vf = 235,15 m/s

if plug it into y = vo2/(2.(5g)) I don't get the right one so how?

and apply it to the period of time the student and the Rocketeer are slowing down. We are told $a=5g,\,v_f=0,\,y_f=0$ and so we have:

\(\displaystyle 5g=\frac{v_i^2}{2y_i}\)

Now, we want to solve for $y_i$, the height at which the Rocketeer catches the student.

\(\displaystyle 10y_i=\frac{v_i^2}{g}\)

Now, we also know that \(\displaystyle v_i=gt\) and so we have:

\(\displaystyle 10y_i=gt^2\)

Let $h$ be the height of the tower, and we also know that \(\displaystyle y_i=h-\frac{gt^2}{2}\,\therefore\,gt^2=2\left(h-y_i\right)\) which gives us:

\(\displaystyle 10y_i=2\left(h-y_i\right)\)

\(\displaystyle 5y_i=h-y_i\)

\(\displaystyle y_i=\frac{h}{6}\)

1. What is kinematics in relation to rocket flight?

Kinematics is the study of motion in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. In the context of rocket flight, kinematics helps to understand how rockets move through the air and how their motion changes over time.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a rocket during flight?

The velocity of a rocket can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as average velocity. Instantaneous velocity, which is the velocity at a specific moment in time, can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a rocket?

The acceleration of a rocket is affected by several factors including the force of the rocket's engines, the mass of the rocket, and the air resistance or drag acting upon the rocket. The direction of the rocket's acceleration is also influenced by the angle and direction of the rocket's engines.

4. How does the shape of a rocket impact its flight?

The shape of a rocket can greatly impact its flight. A streamlined and aerodynamic shape can reduce air resistance and help the rocket to achieve higher velocities. The placement and design of fins can also affect the stability and control of the rocket during flight.

5. What is the role of kinematics in designing a rocket?

Kinematics plays a crucial role in designing a rocket. It helps engineers to understand the motion and forces acting on the rocket during flight, which is essential for determining the optimal shape, size, and engine placement for maximum efficiency and stability. Kinematics also helps to analyze and improve the performance of rockets through mathematical models and simulations.