Rod Falling under gravity hits straight edge

In summary, MFB is trying to solve a problem where a rod collides with an immovable object. He has two equations that he believes are consistent with the forces acting on the system, but he is not sure if they are actually useful. He suggests eliminating the forces between the equations to get a more simplified version. He also suggests integrating over the duration of the collision to find the change in momentum.
decerto

Homework Statement

[/B]
http://imgur.com/a/Ssolz

Homework Equations

[/B]
Elastic Collision so $$ mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 $$
$$ F=ma $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So the problem is similar to this one which allows me to work out the normal force at the point of contact.

I have
$$ma = mg - N$$
$$dN = I\dot{\omega}$$
$$\dot{\omega} = \frac{a}{d}$$

So

$$\frac{dN}{I} = \frac{mg-N}{md}$$

But to be honest I don't know if this is even useful as there is no guarantee the rod sits on the edge after the collision. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The collision is instantaneous, there is no meaningful force. There is a well-defined momentum transfer, however.

You also have conservation of angular momentum.

Likes decerto
mfb said:
The collision is instantaneous, there is no meaningful force. There is a well-defined momentum transfer, however.

You also have conservation of angular momentum.

Honestly I am confused over each one of those sentences.

What do you mean by there is no meaningful force?

How is there a momentum transfer (to/from?) the rod if there is no force? If so, how do you calculate it?

Surely the rod starts rotating after the collision and wouldn't that mean it gains angular momentum about it's center of mass?

decerto said:
What do you mean by there is no meaningful force?
You cannot calculate a meaningful force value. The collision happens in "zero time" with "infinite force" - don't take these too literal.
decerto said:
If so, how do you calculate it?
Don't work with forces. Work with momentum and angular momentum.
decerto said:
Surely the rod starts rotating after the collision and wouldn't that mean it gains angular momentum about it's center of mass?
Sure, and how much it gains is related to the change of the momentum transfer - which is related to its change in its linear velocity. You have to find this relation.

Likes decerto
decerto said:
Yes, but you are free to choose any stationary point as axis. If all the external forces/impulses acting on the system under consideration all act through some point P then taking P as axis eliminates their moments.

Likes decerto
mfb said:
Work with momentum and angular momentum.

I don't understand how this is possible, there is forces so there are no conservation of momentum but the forces are not meaningful so I can't use Newtons laws. I clearly have some gap in my understanding here.

decerto said:
I don't understand how this is possible, there is forces so there are no conservation of momentum but the forces are not meaningful so I can't use Newtons laws. I clearly have some gap in my understanding here.
mfb is not saying that the linear and angular momentum of the rod do not change. But the change to each comes from the same external impulse. So if you let that impulse be J you can write two equations involving J then eliminate it.
My suggestion in post #5 is slightly different. By judicious choice of axis you can get an angular momentum equation that does not involve J, so you do not need the linear momentum equation at all.

Likes decerto and mfb
decerto said:
$$ma = mg - N$$
$$dN = I\dot{\omega}$$
I think these two equations are OK. You can simplify the first equation by invoking the usual assumption that ##mg## may be neglected compared to the strong impulsive force ##N## during the collision.
$$\dot{\omega} = \frac{a}{d}$$
This equation is not valid. It is not consistent with your first two equations given above. The correct relation between ##a## and ##\dot{\omega}## during the collision can be obtained by eliminating ##N## between your two equations ##ma = - N## and ##Nd = I\dot{\omega}##.

This will give you an equation that you can integrate once with respect to time to get a relation between ##\omega##, ##v_i##, and ##v_f##. (This will be equivalent to the relation between ##\omega##, ##v_i##, and ##v_f## that you would get using concepts of angular momentum.)

Likes decerto
TSny said:
I think these two equations are OK
As mfb points out, it is only strictly correct if the forces are considered functions of time: ma(t)=mg-N(t).
Integrating over the duration Δt of the collision: ##m\Delta v=m\int_0^{\Delta t}a.dt=mg\Delta t-\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt=mg\Delta t-J##.
As Δt→0 we get mΔv=-J.
Yes, I know you are saying the same thing, but I felt it was not quite clear.

I assume v is defined as positive down but N and J as positive up.

Likes decerto
haruspex said:
As mfb points out, it is only strictly correct if the forces are considered functions of time: ma(t)=mg-N(t).
Yes, definitely. Eliminating ##N## between decerto's two equations gives a relation between ##a(t)## and ##\dot\omega(t)## which can be integrated over the time of the collision. The problem can then be solved by using this result with the energy equation.

Integrating over the duration Δt of the collision: ##m\Delta v=m\int_0^{\Delta t}a.dt=mg\Delta t-\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt=mg\Delta t-J##.
As Δt→0 we get mΔv=-J.
I assume v is defined as positive down but N and J as positive up.
OK. It seems to me that the "impulse approximation" is still being used here in order to claim that ##mg \Delta t## can be neglected compared to ##\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt## for very small ##\Delta t##. In other words, a student might wonder why the integral ##\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt## doesn't also approach zero as ##\Delta t## approaches zero.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you or mfb have said. :oldsmile:

I just wanted decerto to realize that his two dynamical equations involving ##N## can be used along with the energy equation to solve the problem. Like you, I prefer to solve the problem using energy and angular momentum (with a judicious choice of origin).

Likes decerto
TSny said:
Yes, definitely. Eliminating ##N## between decerto's two equations gives a relation between ##a(t)## and ##\dot\omega(t)## which can be integrated over the time of the collision. The problem can then be solved by using this result with the energy equation.

OK. It seems to me that the "impulse approximation" is still being used here in order to claim that ##mg \Delta t## can be neglected compared to ##\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt## for very small ##\Delta t##. In other words, a student might wonder why the integral ##\int_0^{\Delta t}N.dt## doesn't also approach zero as ##\Delta t## approaches zero.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you or mfb have said. :oldsmile:

I just wanted decerto to realize that his two dynamical equations involving ##N## can be used along with the energy equation to solve the problem. Like you, I prefer to solve the problem using energy and angular momentum (with a judicious choice of origin).

Thank you all for the help. Integrating your dynamical equation just gives me back the conservation of angular momentum, is this correct? Should I end up with a quadratic in the final velocity when I combine it with the energy equation?

decerto said:
just gives me back the conservation of angular momentum
Please post the equation you have, to make sure there is no misunderstanding, and state the choice of axis.

$$ma=-N$$ and $$Nd = I\dot{\omega}$$ gives $$-mad = I\dot{\omega}$$
Integrating wrt to time I have $$-mv_f d + mv_i d = I \omega$$ which is just the conservation of angular momentum about the point of contact with $$v_i= \sqrt{2gh}$$
Solving for omega
$$\omega^2 = \frac{1}{I^2}\left(m^2d^2v_i^2 +m^2d^2v_f^2 - 2m^2v_iv_fd^2\right)$$
which I inserted into the energy equation from the OP to get a quadratic in v_f

decerto said:
$$ma=-N$$ and $$Nd = I\dot{\omega}$$ gives $$-mad = I\dot{\omega}$$
Integrating wrt to time I have $$-mv_f d + mv_i d = I \omega$$ which is just the conservation of angular momentum about the point of contact with $$v_i= \sqrt{2gh}$$
Solving for omega
$$\omega^2 = \frac{1}{I^2}\left(m^2d^2v_i^2 +m^2d^2v_f^2 - 2m^2v_iv_fd^2\right)$$
which I inserted into the energy equation from the OP to get a quadratic in v_f
Yes, that looks right.

decerto said:
which is just the conservation of angular momentum about the point of contact
Right, which was what I was referring to in post #7. You could have taken moments about the point of contact and got there in one step; no reference to N and no integration.

To answer your question in post #11, yes, you get a quadratic.

1. How does the speed of the falling rod affect its impact on the straight edge?

The speed of the falling rod does not have a significant effect on its impact on the straight edge. The time it takes for the rod to reach the straight edge is dependent on the height from which it is dropped, but the force of impact remains the same.

2. What factors affect the force of impact when a rod falls under gravity?

The force of impact is primarily determined by the mass and velocity of the falling rod. The height from which it is dropped can also play a role, as well as any air resistance that may be present.

3. Can the angle at which the rod falls affect the impact on the straight edge?

Yes, the angle at which the rod falls can affect the impact on the straight edge. A steeper angle will result in a greater force of impact, while a more shallow angle will result in a lower force of impact.

4. How does the length of the rod impact its trajectory and impact on the straight edge?

The length of the rod is not a significant factor in its trajectory or impact on the straight edge. As long as the rod is falling straight down, its length will not affect its path or force of impact.

5. Does the material of the rod or straight edge have an impact on the results of this experiment?

The material of the rod and straight edge may have a slight impact on the results of this experiment, but it is not a major factor. The laws of gravity and motion still apply regardless of the materials used.