How Can a Marble Roller Coaster Achieve Multiple Loops Within Strict Dimensions?

In summary, a student is working on a roller coaster project for school, aiming to create the best coaster and earn the highest grade. The coaster must use only the force of gravity and fit within specific dimensions. Points are awarded based on the total vertical drop height, added diameter of vertical loops, time in seconds, and number of vertical loops. The student plans to have approximately 30-40 vertical loops, with the first drop taking up 1/3 of the total vertical height. The coaster must also have a marble between 1.5-2.5 cm in diameter and loops must be on less than a 20 degree incline. A diagram and example of the desired coaster design have been provided for reference.
Quantum_Prodegy
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a roller coaster project in school, where a marble must travel around a track of our design within certain dimensions. Easy right? Well, yes, but not since I plan on having the best roller coaster in the class. (the grades are put on a curve, best coaster gets 100%) So the way they determine the best roller coaster is by points as such:

(total verticle drop height) X (added diameter of all vertical loops) X (time in seconds, not to exceed 30 or loss of points) X (number of verticle loops)

so, the difficult part is, this roller coaster must only use the force of gravity and must be within the dimensions of 85 cm (~33 in) high, by 80 cm (~31.5 in) long, by 40 cm (~16 in) wide.

We would like the first drop to take up approx. 1/3 of our total verticle height, and then do as many (hoping to get 12) loops at that level. Then we plan on dropping again to do another set of loops, then again. In the end we are aiming on having between 30 and 40 verticle loops.

I know its possible, any suggestions on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and a verticle loop counts if its on less than 20 degrees of an incline...if that helps, and the marble must be between 1.5 and 2.5 cm in diameter (~0.5 into 1.0 in).

I have posted a diagram of what i would like it to do, and what an example of a drop and 3 loops look like. The "bad design.jpg" i did in 5 mins on the comp to show you what i mean...the other one is a picture of our track.

here is a website where an extremely successful roller coaster picture is:

http://ntci.on.ca/departments/physics/wondercoaster/2003/CWL-03-TM1.jpg

Attachments

• bad design.gif
    bad design.gif
    5 KB · Views: 604
  • Roller Coaster1.jpg
    Roller Coaster1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you do the Multiple loops ?

1. What materials are needed to build a roller coaster?

The materials needed to build a roller coaster include steel or wooden tracks, support structures, wheels, brakes, motors, and safety restraints. Other materials such as paint, lighting, and theming elements may also be used for aesthetic purposes.

2. How does a roller coaster stay on the track?

A roller coaster stays on the track through a combination of gravity, centripetal force, and the design of the track itself. The track is carefully engineered to provide a smooth and safe ride, and the wheels on the coaster cars fit snugly onto the track to prevent them from derailing.

3. What factors affect the speed of a roller coaster?

The speed of a roller coaster is affected by several factors, such as the height of the initial drop, the angle of the track, the presence of brakes or magnetic forces, and the weight of the passengers in the train. Wind and weather conditions can also have a small impact on speed.

4. How are roller coasters tested for safety?

Before a roller coaster is opened to the public, it undergoes rigorous testing to ensure its safety. This includes computer simulations, physical inspection of the track and trains, and test runs with weighted dummies to simulate the weight and movements of human riders. Once the ride is deemed safe, it can be opened to the public.

5. What is the tallest/longest/fastest roller coaster in the world?

The current tallest roller coaster in the world is Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, USA, with a height of 456 feet. The longest roller coaster is Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land in Japan, measuring 8,133 feet. The fastest roller coaster is Formula Rossa at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, reaching speeds of 149.1 mph.