Rope hanging from a table, find time taken to fall off table

In summary, the problem involves a uniform rope sliding through a hole in a table, with certain given parameters. The solution involves finding the time at which the end of the rope passes through the hole, using the work-energy theorem and the equation for work done by gravity. However, the solution given in the conversation may not be entirely correct and an alternative method using differential equations is suggested.
Better WOrld

Homework Statement

A rope of uniform mass per unit length ##\lambda## and length ##L## lies curled on a table, with a short length ##\delta l## of it hanging through a hole in the table. At time zero, the rope begins to slide through the hole. At what time ##t_c## (in seconds) does the end of the rope pass through the hole?

Details

• The rope is 10 m long.
    • ##\delta l = 0.1## m
    • ##g=9.81\ \text{m/s}^2##
    • There is no friction between the rope and itself, or between the rope and the table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the problem but my solution doesn't give the correct answer. I would be truly grateful if somebody could please show me where I've gone wrong.

Let the 0 Gravitational Potential Energy level be at the table's height.
Taking the rope as the system on a table, we can see that only gravity does work on the system.
Let ##x## be the part of the rope hanging through the hole. Consider an elemental part ##dm## of width ##dx## at a distance ##x## hanging below the table. $$dm=\lambda dx$$
$$dW_g=xdm=\lambda g x dx$$
Since ##x## varies from ##\delta l## to ##l## ie ##0.1## to ##10,##
$$W_g=\lambda g\int_{0.1}^{10} xdx$$
$$W_g=49.995\lambda g$$
Applying the work Energy Theorem,
$$\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2=W_g$$
$$\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{2}\times(\lambda\times L)\times v^2=49.995\lambda g$$
Since $$\lambda$$ gets canceled on both sides and ##L=10,##
$$v^2=\dfrac{49.995}{5}\times g$$
Hence, $$v=\sqrt{98.09}\approx9.904$$
Since ##v=\dfrac{dx}{dt}##
$$\dfrac{dx}{9.904}=dt$$
$$\dfrac{1}{9.904}\int_{0.1}^{10}dx=\int _0^Tdt$$

However, this answer doesn't match the given answer of 5.29.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BW,

Your post reminded me of this one which isn't exactly the same, but perhaps you can pick up something useful. In the mean time I'll try to follow through your solution.

Last edited:
I think your work integral needs to be a double integral, not a single, because each rope element only generates a gravitational force when it is through the hole, but every element is subject to the force, via the tension in the rope, at all times. The double integral would be over (1) location of the element on the rope and (2) distance traveled by the element. However, I think that way of doing it may be unnecessarily complex.

Can you write a differential equation expressing the acceleration of the rope (##\ddot{x}##) as a function of how much of the rope is hanging through the hole (##x##)? Unless I've made a mistake, the solution is fairly quick and easy via that route.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
I think your work integral needs to be a double integral, not a single, because each rope element only generates a gravitational force when it is through the hole, but every element is subject to the force, via the tension in the rope, at all times. The double integral would be over (1) location of the element on the rope and (2) distance traveled by the element. However, I think that way of doing it may be unnecessarily complex.

Can you write a differential equation expressing the acceleration of the rope (##\ddot{x}##) as a function of how much of the rope is hanging through the hole (##x##)? Unless I've made a mistake, the solution is fairly quick and easy via that route.
Sorry Sir, I haven't done Differential Equations.
Sir, I don't think a double integral would be necessary. It s true that the mass of the rope hanging is continuously changing and so is ##x##. However, we could write the elemental mass as ##dm=\dfrac{M}{L}\times dx## where ##dx## is the length of the element of mass. Thus, the expression for work done (##dm\times g\times x=\dfrac{M}{L}\times dx\times g\times x##) is reduced to only one quantity which is varying ie ##x##-the length of the rope above the element of mass.

BvU said:
Hi BW,

Your post reminded me of this one which isn't exactly the same, nbut perhaps you can pick up something useful. In the mean time I'll try to follow through your solution.
BvU said:
Hi BW,

Your post reminded me of this one which isn't exactly the same, nbut perhaps you can pick up something useful. In the mean time I'll try to follow through your solution.
Sorry Sir, but that thread didn't really help me.

Fair enough. From your solution attempt I gather you use the kinetic energy (##=W_g##) at the moment when the end of the rope falls out of the hole to calculate a velocity. But that is not the average velocity.

Better WOrld said:
we could write the elemental mass as ##dm=\dfrac{M}{L}\times dx## where ##dx## is the length of the element of mass. Thus, the expression for work done (##dm\times g\times x=\dfrac{M}{L}\times dx\times g\times x##) is reduced to only one quantity which is varying ie ##x##-the length of the rope above the element of mass.
The work done on what, by what, within what constraints? If we integrate it, to what physical quantity does the result correspond?

When we write an equation involving increments like this, we need to be able to relate it to an intuitive physical situation. If we just integrate it without stopping to think what it means, and what integrating it means, we are likely to end up with a meaningless number.

BvU said:
Fair enough. From your solution attempt I gather you use the kinetic energy (##=W_g##) at the moment when the end of the rope falls out of the hole to calculate a velocity. But that is not the average velocity.
In that case Sir, how would we find the average velocity?
Ps. Sir, please could you also help me with [this question](https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...of-energy-and-momentum.832277/#post-5227689)?

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
The work done on what, by what, within what constraints? If we integrate it, to what physical quantity does the result correspond?

When we write an equation involving increments like this, we need to be able to relate it to an intuitive physical situation. If we just integrate it without stopping to think what it means, and what integrating it means, we are likely to end up with a meaningless number.
You are right Sir. Sir, in this case, the work is done by gravity on the hanging part of the rope. Also, the velocity I got corresponds to the velocity of the rope at the time the entire rope slips off the table.
Please could you explain what you meant by 'within what constraints'? I couldn't quite understand.
Sir would it also be possible for you to kidlyhelp me with [this question](https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...of-energy-and-momentum.832277/#post-5227689)?

Last edited:
Better WOrld said:
the velocity I got corresponds to the velocity of the rope at the time the entire rope slips off the table.
How do you know?
Please could you explain what you meant by 'within what constraints'? I couldn't quite understand.
To talk about work done we need to make clear what is doing the work, what it it is doing the work on, and over what period or in what locations the work is being added up (integrated) to get a total work amount. The constraints refers to the locations over which the the work is being integrated/summed.

andrewkirk said:
How do you know?

To talk about work done we need to make clear what is doing the work, what it it is doing the work on, and over what period or in what locations the work is being added up (integrated) to get a total work amount. The constraints refers to the locations over which the the work is being integrated/summed.
Sir since the limit ##l=10## corresponds to the time when the entire rope slips off the table.

Hello ,

Please note that energy is not conserved in this problem . You would be better off going with the momentum approach .

Vibhor said:
Hello ,

Please note that energy is not conserved in this problem . You would be better off going with the momentum approach .
I agree. But it still leads to a differential equation.
Better WOrld, you can solve the problem by (a) using conservation of momentum and (b) assuming the acceleration is constant.
At any instant, the weight of the suspended part (##\lambda g x##) is doing two things. It is accelerating the part already suspended, and it is accelerating the next little bit of the rope from rest to the current speed. Can you write out expressions for those two components of the total force?

1. How does the length of the rope affect the time it takes to fall off the table?

The longer the rope, the longer it will take for the rope to fall off the table. This is because the longer rope has more surface area and air resistance, which slows down its fall.

2. Does the weight of the rope affect the time it takes to fall off the table?

The weight of the rope does not significantly affect the time it takes to fall off the table. This is because the rope's weight is negligible compared to the force of gravity acting on it.

3. Is the force of gravity the only factor affecting the time it takes for the rope to fall off the table?

No, the force of gravity is not the only factor affecting the time it takes for the rope to fall off the table. Other factors such as air resistance, the weight and length of the rope, and the angle at which it is hanging can also impact the time of fall.

4. Can the time taken for the rope to fall off the table be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the time taken for the rope to fall off the table can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the table, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. How can the experiment be modified to get more accurate results?

To get more accurate results, the experiment can be repeated multiple times and an average of the times can be taken. Additionally, using a timer with a higher precision and reducing any external factors that could affect the fall of the rope, such as wind or friction, can also improve the accuracy of the results.