Is Using an Oxygen Rotameter for Propane Flow Measurement Accurate?

• Thread starter Ali Durrani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correction
In summary: Your Name]In summary, a scientist with expertise in engine testing and performance evaluation shared insights on the use of a rotameter to measure propane flow in an engine test bench. They advised that using a rotameter designed for oxygen may not be accurate due to differences in density and properties, and suggested using a rotameter specifically designed for propane or a different measurement method. They also mentioned the importance of considering other factors such as specific heat ratio and environmental conditions when evaluating thermal efficiency. It is recommended to re-evaluate the methods and use a more accurate measurement technique for reliable results.
Ali Durrani
Hello Dear friends

i was doing tests to evaluate the performance of my Engine Test bench, (197/225cc engine 12.6kW IC SI engine, Propane) For mass flow rate i have used a rota meter to find the Volume flow rate and convert it to mass flow rate, i couldn't find a rotameter for propane so i decided to go for oxygen rotameter

now that i have got the values they are 4, 4.5, 4.8, 5 lit/min
as they are the indicated flow rates

for correction i have used these equations

Cdensity=(density of oxygen/density of propane)^1/2
Cpressure= (p+0.1013/ps+0.1013)^1/2
p=actual operating pressure
ps=standard or designed pressure for rotameter use
Ctemperature=(ts+273/t+273)^1/2
ts=standard temperature for rotameter use
t=actual operating temperature

Gas Correction factor(GCF)=Cdensity*Cpressure*Ctemperature
Actual Flow = Indicated Flow rate * GSF
the density of propane is 1.873g/lit
operating temperature was recorded as 10C
operating pressure was 0.005MPa
standard values for rotameter are 1.292g/lit, 20C, 0.343MPa

so the actual flow values are 1.688, 1.899, 2.0265, 2.111 lit/min

i just wanted to ask that is it correct method or am i missing something because when i evaluate the thermal efficiency of my test bench it gives me above 60% which is no way possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear friend,

Thank you for sharing your test results and methods with us. I am a scientist with expertise in engine testing and performance evaluation, and I would like to offer some insights on your approach.

Firstly, using a rotameter designed for oxygen to measure propane flow is not an accurate method. Propane and oxygen have different densities and properties, which can affect the accuracy of the readings. I would recommend using a rotameter specifically designed for propane, or using a different method such as a mass flow meter.

Additionally, your calculations for the gas correction factor seem to be missing a step. The correction factor should also take into account the difference in specific heat ratio between propane and oxygen. This can significantly affect the accuracy of your results.

Furthermore, it is important to ensure that all your measurements are taken at the same conditions, including temperature, pressure, and humidity. Any variations in these parameters can also affect the accuracy of your results.

I would suggest re-evaluating your methods and using a more accurate measurement technique to obtain reliable results. It is also important to consider other factors that may affect the thermal efficiency of your test bench, such as engine design, fuel quality, and operating conditions.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your research.

What is a RotaMeter correction factor?

A RotaMeter correction factor is a value used to adjust the readings of a RotaMeter flow meter to account for variations in flow conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and fluid properties.

Why is a correction factor needed for RotaMeters?

RotaMeters are commonly used to measure flow rates, but their readings can be affected by changes in flow conditions. A correction factor is necessary to ensure accurate and consistent flow measurements.

How is a RotaMeter correction factor determined?

The correction factor for a RotaMeter is typically determined by conducting calibration tests under a variety of flow conditions and then using statistical methods to determine the relationship between the measured values and the actual flow rates.

Can the correction factor for a RotaMeter change over time?

Yes, the correction factor for a RotaMeter can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in fluid properties, or changes in the environment where the meter is being used. It is important to regularly check and adjust the correction factor to ensure accurate measurements.

How do I apply the correction factor to my RotaMeter readings?

To apply the correction factor, simply multiply the measured flow rate by the correction factor. The resulting value will be the corrected flow rate that accounts for variations in flow conditions.

Back