Rotary Mechanical Brake System

In summary, the device is meant to limit the rotational speed of a platform. The design is meant to be simple and uncomplicated, and the 200kg is the mass of the plate and its loaded elements. The power source is not clear, but it may be the rotational speed of the platform. The goal is to use a brake as a governor to control the rotational speed of the platform. It is safe to assume that the governor needs to be a brake.
Jameseyboy
Hi,

I am looking into a braking system which can limit the rotational speed of a platform; the assembly consists of a fixed vertical shaft and a rotating outer tube (seated with bearings). The platform diameter is >5 times larger than the tube.

I have looked into the typical band brake, friction brake, etc however, there is a problem:
The limit on rotational speed is set at 1 RPM, so to generate a relevant braking force centrifugally is unrealistic (considering the mass is over 200kg).
The only concern with electronically assisted brakes is the safety factor.

My only other option would be rotary dampers but if anyone has any better ideas, that would be great.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the function of the design and how integral to the function is the 200kg's? I'm thinking of some of the recent engine flywheel designs where the constant mass of the flywheel has been replaced by a magnetically induced mass. With this design you can brake at a different mass then the operational mass.

The 200kg is basically the mass of the plate + its loaded elements.

Are you talking about eddy brakes? I understand they can be calibrated such that they are applied at a particular speed and effectively maintaining it.

I am going to need to back everything up with calculations so the simpler the better.

I would keep the brakes as simple and uncomplicated as possible since you have not yet identified a function for the device. What would the weight of the tube be if it was made of carbon fiber?

For the magnetics look first at trains that run by levitation. Do a search for magnetic flywheels and the internal combustion engine.

When the disc rotational speed reaches 1 RPM, it needs to be capped but with smooth deceleration.

The materials are steel and cannot be changed. I'll do some more research on magnetic brakes. I do have a little room to play with; my shaft is around 5cm radius, and my inner tube is around 16cm radius.

Cheers

What is causing the platform to rotate ?

Likes Work Hard Play Hard
Fair enough but that's not where I was going with my response. Your braking difficulties are due to the mass of the tube. If you can't change the tube is the tube on a clutch? What's the power source? Is brake dampening required?

Jameseyboy said:
When the disc rotational speed reaches 1 RPM, it needs to be capped but with smooth deceleration.

The materials are steel and cannot be changed. I'll do some more research on magnetic brakes. I do have a little room to play with; my shaft is around 5cm radius, and my inner tube is around 16cm radius.

Cheers

Is 1 RPM a hard limit, such that transient overshoot to 1.01 would be a disaster?

It is not clear whether you are asking about a breaking mechanism of about the control system to apply the brake.

I see you edited your original question which raises even more.

As already asked what is powering the platform rotation? What's the potential RPM of the platform without the brake? Is it safe to assume your goal is to use a brake as a governor? If so, does the governor have to be a brake?

What is a Rotary Mechanical Brake System?

A Rotary Mechanical Brake System is a type of braking system used in vehicles and other machinery to slow down or stop movement. It consists of a rotor, caliper, brake pads, and other components that work together to create friction and slow down the rotation of a wheel or other moving part.

How does a Rotary Mechanical Brake System work?

The system works by converting kinetic energy (movement) into heat energy through friction. When the brake pedal is pressed, the caliper squeezes the brake pads against the rotor, creating friction and slowing down the rotation. The heat generated is then dissipated through the rotor and other components, allowing the vehicle or machinery to come to a stop.

What are the advantages of a Rotary Mechanical Brake System?

One advantage of a Rotary Mechanical Brake System is its simplicity and reliability. It does not require any complex electronics or hydraulic systems, making it less prone to failure. It also allows for better control and modulation of braking force, resulting in smoother and more precise stopping.

What are the main components of a Rotary Mechanical Brake System?

The main components of a Rotary Mechanical Brake System include the rotor, caliper, brake pads, brake lines, and brake fluid. The rotor is a disc that rotates with the wheel, while the caliper holds the brake pads and squeezes them against the rotor. The brake lines carry brake fluid from the master cylinder to the caliper, creating the pressure needed for the brakes to work.

How often should a Rotary Mechanical Brake System be inspected and maintained?

It is recommended to have a Rotary Mechanical Brake System inspected and maintained at least once a year or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Regular maintenance can help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems, ensuring the safety and efficiency of the braking system.