Rotating transparent object with stars - what was it?

In summary: Our brains are packed with imaginary perceptions that can superimpose themselves upon our sensory systems. Such impressions can be extremely powerful, despite disconnects with other senses [like objects moving at unbelievable visual speeds that make no sound]. I am very suspicious of such experiences. Visual illusions are particularly deceptive because our brains are so hard wired to believe what we 'see'. If you woke up to the smell of baking bread, but, found no loaves in the oven, would you believe your nose, or dismiss it as illusory?"
stargrazer
I witnessed a rather incredible aerial phenomenon years ago with naked eyes. It was around 2:00AM and a very clear night. As I was talking with someone, I caught something out of the corner of my eye above while I was talking with someone. It was cylindrical-shaped (although the ends seemed to just taper off) , rotating, transparent and appeared football fields in size. It moved overhead from behind and took up my entire peripheral vision. It had what appeared to be stars attached to it's perimeter, rotating with the "object". The stars were not in any particular order, but appeared evenly spaced. It made no sound and appeared as if a piece of the night sky had been cut out and was traveling overhead. One other person saw the tail end of it with me.

I created an animated PowerPoint slide of the "object". It lacks the rotating movement the object had, but otherwise is a very good representation of what I witnessed. I have researched space phenomenon quite a bit since. Wormholes have recently caught my attention more and seem to bear the closest theoretical description to what I saw. I imagine, however, it would be impossible to see a wormhole with the naked eye though no matter how close to Earth it was, correct?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Could have been a blimp with a message displaying on the sides. When viewed from the wrong angle, these messages are impossible to read, and appear as randomly-placed lights scrolling along the skin of the airship.

Perception is a cruel mistress. Our brains are packed with imaginary perceptions that can superimpose themselves upon our sensory systems. Such impressions can be extremely powerful, despite disconnects with other senses [like objects moving at unbelievable visual speeds that make no sound]. I am very suspicious of such experiences. Visual illusions are particularly deceptive because our brains are so hard wired to believe what we 'see'. If you woke up to the smell of baking bread, but, found no loaves in the oven, would you believe your nose, or dismiss it as illusory?

"Could have been a blimp with a message displaying on the sides. When viewed from the wrong angle, these messages are impossible to read, and appear as randomly-placed lights scrolling along the skin of the airship."

But would that still explain how I was able to see right through it? It was completely transparent. I could see the stationary stars/sky behind it as it passed over. Also, I mentioned I had witnessed this with one other person, but upon reporting it to one of the national UFO reporting centers (which wasn't for months later) via phone the guy thanked me profusely for reporting it because I was the final "leg" of it's sightings that had started in CA and been witnessed by numerous others earlier in the week.

"Perception is a cruel mistress. Our brains are packed with imaginary perceptions that can superimpose themselves upon our sensory systems. Such impressions can be extremely powerful, despite disconnects with other senses [like objects moving at unbelievable visual speeds that make no sound]. I am very suspicious of such experiences. Visual illusions are particularly deceptive because our brains are so hard wired to believe what we 'see'. If you woke up to the smell of baking bread, but, found no loaves in the oven, would you believe your nose, or dismiss it as illusory?"

I understand your skepticism.. believe me, I really do. I contacted several professors about a year later thinking they would have a very simple explanation for what I saw... but they had no idea.

I wish I had initially posed the question here simply as: What space phenomenon, theoretically speaking, would a rotating cylindrical-shaped transparent mass that contains within stars be categorized as?

And actually... just stumbled upon another report someone gave of what sounds identical to what I saw:

http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-17918.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that this post is meant to another forum.
But the most simpler answer that occurs to your question :"What space phenomenon, theoretically speaking, would a rotating cylindrical-shaped transparent mass that contains within stars be categorized as? "
I would characterized him as a genuine 'contrail' illuminated in altitude by the Sun or Full Moon.

I highly doubt a contrail.

Anyway... could someone please answer my question about wormholes I initially asked? How close could one come to Earth without disturbing the atmosphere... would it be possible to see one with the naked eye?

Last edited:
Could it be a partially-deflated balloon made of thin transparent material, or reflective material like mylar?

Balloon... the thing appeared enormous. The "stars" on it were the same size as regular stars and therefore the object appeared the same distance away. It appeared this size if I had been on the ground in this pic: http://standeyo.com/index_images/CC_BIG_SAUCER.jpg

If it had been a blimp, it was very close, although no noise at all.

stargrazer said:
I highly doubt a contrail.

Anyway... could someone please answer my question about wormholes I initially asked? How close could one come to Earth without disturbing the atmosphere... would it be possible to see one with the naked eye?

As far as I know, there is no current standard theory which gives rise to wormholes so there is no obvious way to describe their properties outside science fiction.

If they were associated in some way with a form of matter (not currently known to exist) which could bend space backwards, then the gravitational effects involved would presumably be of similar magnitude to those in black holes, and involve extreme energies.

Jonathan Scott said:
As far as I know, there is no current standard theory which gives rise to wormholes so there is no obvious way to describe their properties outside science fiction.

If they were associated in some way with a form of matter (not currently known to exist) which could bend space backwards, then the gravitational effects involved would presumably be of similar magnitude to those in black holes, and involve extreme energies.

Thanks Jonathan... as I suspected.

stargrazer said:
Balloon... the thing appeared enormous. The "stars" on it were the same size as regular stars and therefore the object appeared the same distance away. It appeared this size if I had been on the ground in this pic: http://standeyo.com/index_images/CC_BIG_SAUCER.jpg

If it had been a blimp, it was very close, although no noise at all.

It's very difficult to judge distances without familiar references. For example, walking in the open at night you may find something that looks like a silhouette of a large building on the horizon may suddenly resolve into a bench a few yards away. Reflections of lights could look like stars, especially if it was creased a bit underneath so as to create smaller reflections which would move with the creases. Experimental balloons (both tethered and free-flying) are sometimes made of large amounts of transparent or reflective material.

Any UFO seen anywhere within 1000 miles of a student is always a bit suspicious! If you use two large circles of plastic film joined at the edge to create a nice saucer shape, fix some reflective sequins or similar round the edge, and fly it like a kite using black thread, it should create some entertainment for the neighbours.

My point was that human perception is fragile. I only suggested one category of explanations among many possibles.

Related to Rotating transparent object with stars - what was it?

1. What is a "rotating transparent object with stars"?

A rotating transparent object with stars refers to a physical or digital object that appears to be transparent and has stars or other celestial bodies moving or rotating within it.

2. Where can these objects be found or observed?

These objects can typically be found in planetariums, science centers, or in digital media such as videos or animations. They can also be observed in nature, such as the night sky.

3. How do scientists create or simulate these objects?

Scientists use various techniques such as computer simulations, projections, and physical models to create or simulate these objects. They may also use advanced equipment such as planetarium projectors to accurately depict the movement and appearance of stars.

4. What is the purpose of studying these objects?

Studying these objects can help scientists understand and visualize complex astronomical concepts such as the rotation of planets, the movement of stars, and the structure of the universe. It can also aid in public education and outreach about astronomy.

5. Are there any real-life objects that resemble this phenomenon?

Yes, there are several real-life objects that exhibit similar characteristics, such as the Earth's atmosphere and the surface of bodies of water. These objects can appear transparent and have stars or celestial bodies reflected in them due to their physical properties and the way light interacts with them.