Rotating with slipping to rotating without slipping?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with modeling an object (a hula hoop) that transitions from rotating with slipping to rotating without slipping. The transition is gradual, as the rotation increases and linear speed decreases until there is a balance that allows for rolling without slipping. This transition is due to the change from kinetic friction to static friction, and once the object reaches a consistent speed, the friction force reduces to zero. This assumes a flat surface and ignores factors like air resistance.
nomnom123
Homework Statement
This is a problem that I encountered in my physics project. I'm attempting to model an object (a hula hoop) that begins by rotating with slipping, but transitions into rotating without slipping at a certain point. How/when does this transition happen?
Relevant Equations
torque = inertia x angular acceleration
It seems to me that this transition implies going from kinetic friction to static friction. The kinetic friction would apply a torque that would slow down the object's angular velocity, but I'm not sure how this connects to the object suddenly transitioning into rotating without slipping.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomnom123 said:
Problem Statement: This is a problem that I encountered in my physics project. I'm attempting to model an object (a hula hoop) that begins by rotating with slipping, but transitions into rotating without slipping at a certain point. How/when does this transition happen?
Relevant Equations: torque = inertia x angular acceleration

It seems to me that this transition implies going from kinetic friction to static friction. The kinetic friction would apply a torque that would slow down the object's angular velocity, but I'm not sure how this connects to the object suddenly transitioning into rotating without slipping.

It doesn't suddenly transition. Gradually the rotation increases and the linear speed decreases until there is a balance that equates to rolling without slipping.

nomnom123 said:
It seems to me that this transition implies going from kinetic friction to static friction.
This is not quite correct if you are assuming that the rolling takes place on a horizontal surface. Is static friction required for rolling without slipping?

While rotating with slip there is a force on the hoop that will both accelerate the hoop (change its linear velocity) and slow it's rate of rotation. At some point the linear velocity and rotational velocity will be consistent with rotation without slip.

As soon as that point is reached the friction force reduces to zero. The hoop rolls along at a constant speed without any tendency to slip.

The above assumes it's rolling on a flat surface and things like air and rolling resistance can be ignored.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between rotating with slipping and rotating without slipping?

Rotating with slipping refers to an object that is rotating while also experiencing slipping or sliding motion. In contrast, rotating without slipping means that an object is rotating without any slipping or sliding motion.

2. What factors affect an object's ability to rotate without slipping?

The two main factors that affect an object's ability to rotate without slipping are the coefficient of friction between the object and its surface, and the object's inertia or mass distribution.

3. How does friction play a role in rotating with slipping and rotating without slipping?

Friction is responsible for the difference between rotating with slipping and rotating without slipping. If the coefficient of friction between an object and its surface is high enough, the object will be able to rotate without slipping. However, if the coefficient of friction is too low, the object will experience slipping or sliding motion while rotating.

4. Can an object rotate without slipping if the coefficient of friction is zero?

No, an object cannot rotate without slipping if the coefficient of friction is zero. Friction is necessary to prevent slipping and allow for rotation without slipping.

5. How does the concept of torque relate to rotating with slipping and rotating without slipping?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In order for an object to rotate without slipping, the torque applied to the object must be greater than the torque of friction. If the torque of friction is greater, the object will experience slipping motion while rotating.